• Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Christensen (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Anthony Taylor

I have a FB avatar bet on this game until the regular season starts. I won against the same friend last year in the Europa final. It killed him explaining why he had a Chelsea logo for an avatar for a month. He lived in London through high school and is a die hard Gunner. I really want to see it again!

The Telegraph

Friday July 31 2020

Football Nerd

The striking gap in Chelsea and Arsenal's squad demographics that brings inconsistency

694F6D30AAA1022BD17A746113A606DC.png

By Daniel Zeqiri

The Premier League table and the two teams' underlying metrics tell us Chelsea are a better team than Arsenal going into Saturday's FA Cup final, but just how much better?

Chelsea and Manchester United are very difficult to pin down. On either's best day they look comfortably the third-best team in the country and the closest to Manchester City or Liverpool. At their worst, they can look every bit as ordinary as the teams who scrapped for Europa League football in the season's closing games. Arsenal are similarly inconsistent which makes for an unpredictable final at Wembley.

One reason for Chelsea and Arsenal's unreliable form is the demographics of their squads: several exciting youngsters, a continued reliance on senior professionals entering the autumn of their careers but few spinal players in their mid-20s.

While champions Liverpool had just two players aged 23 or younger make more than 20 appearances in all competitions last season, Chelsea had six and Arsenal seven. Both London clubs have few regular starters in their prime years.

I analyse that problem here and look for clues as to how Frank Lampard and Mikel Arteta will build in the next transfer window.