Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I watched the video , I had no idea he was so dynamic , he looks truly awesome.

yep. We actually bought him as a replacement to Frank - he's a box to box player by trade, but at Elche he has spent most of his play time on his defensive game in the Maka role. Ideal partner for Matic personally, he has everything in the locker. Everything Mou would want. To play holding midfield in a top flight team at 19/20 years old is a brilliant feat. And he can be like Cesc. I think and hope he takes his opportunity to impress Mou during pre season. He could be perfect for us.

I disagree. I think it is the fact that he is on around £75k p/w wages at us and there is no club who is willing to pay that much wages for him. So most teams know they will not match his wage demands anyway. Same reason when Falcao joined United, not much other teams wanted him, because of his wages. If teams knew they could get Mikel for wages around £50k p/w at a cheap price there would be a lot of teams after him.

I agree about his wage, but I would at least try going for him and ask him to take a wage cut. Nothing to lose really.

Yeah, but he should be. Great player. If he was English he would probably be playing ahead of Ramires and Mikel.

There's thinking a player is good but then there's blowing smoke out their arse. Hes still nowhere near Chelsea level. He's probably not even the best CM we have out on loan, I'd comfortably say van Ginkel is. There's no point arguing this though but I think most would agree that hes not at Chelsea level just now. I don't see why you say if he were English he'd probably be playing ahead of Mikel or Ramires, when both didn't really play as much as they have before as both of their roles were actually minimized due to the Matic-Fabregas combination in the middle of the park.

Pasalic please, his natural position is a no 8 but he played holding midfield at the age of 20 for the whole season at Elche and I certainly think he's ready. I'm a huge fan of his and he's ready imo. It'll also save us a lot of money. He was probably our most successful loan this year, and it's not like he was a bit part player. He played 35 games.

It's not the best compilation ever but they aren't very common for defensive midfielders. He's proactive and he kind of reminds me of Matic. He's number 24. 2 footed. Got a good set piece in him too, and Cesc-y levels of passing range.

could even stand in as a striker from that vid

i think the reason why none of the chelsea youth/loanees can ever amount to much in our team would be cos we hype them so much.

RLC was apparently good enough to replace rambo.

pasalic is good enough to replace our 70th minute whistle.

mikel might not be the best 2nd choice DM but he has a lot of utility as we saw last season. the number of 1 goal wins we had last season was tremendous and his 10-20 minute cameos are not a thing to be overlooked so easily.

I disagree. I think it is the fact that he is on around £75k p/w wages at us and there is no club who is willing to pay that much wages for him. So most teams know they will not match his wage demands anyway. Same reason when Falcao joined United, not much other teams wanted him, because of his wages. If teams knew they could get Mikel for wages around £50k p/w at a cheap price there would be a lot of teams after him.

Not even the Chinese want Obi!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/28/demba-ba-shanghai-shenhua-china-besiktas

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfer-flop-paulinho-set-5950341

A real shame too. They pay good money. £11 mil for Paulinho...

i would have mikel over some 10-15mil DM like song. inspite of the shit given to him, he is quite useful, specially in closing out a game. he might not be a good passer, the most adventorous spirit, yada yada yada, but he definitely knows how to close the game down. so unless we are getting a MASSIVE UPGRADE on him like vidal/bastian, i dont want him to leave for someone like song. no thank you.

i would have mikel over some 10-15mil DM like song. inspite of the shit given to him, he is quite useful, specially in closing out a game. he might not be a good passer, the most adventorous spirit, yada yada yada, but he definitely knows how to close the game down. so unless we are getting a MASSIVE UPGRADE on him like vidal/bastian, i dont want him to leave for someone like song. no thank you.

why can't we just use Zouma to do that?

why can't we just use Zouma to do that?

Because Zouma is a CB and naturally doesn't have the technical abilities nor the positional awareness to play in midfield. He can come on with 10 minutes to go to win headers in midfield and around the box, but he can't play as a midfielder.

...but he's fine to close a game down.

And Zouma will improve if he plays there more. I'd like Schweinsteiger so he can play alongside Matic and Cesc can go up or rotate with him - I'm sorry but the fact that Mikel is being linked to Al Ain explains his quality, or lack thereof. Even young Zouma can pass sideways and sit in front of his CBs.

If we wanted a proper back up to Matic then I'd be thinking about somebody like Song.