Mikel John Obi

Badboy

So we need to address that we need to sign a player closer in style to Cesc to play in the pivot... I prefer him in the pivot, but he's equally great as a #10. My preference lies on the fact that it's easier to find a creative #10 than a pivot player as influential in the attack as Cesc.

Yeah, I don't disagree that it's easier to find a creative #10 rather than a creative CM, but we have what we have. I don't think we'll be buying a CAM. If we do buy an attacking player, a right winger should be the priority.

Yesterday was a game where Ramires should have started, not Mikel. But with Rami not being fit enough to start and Oscar's illness, we had to go with Mikel.

That said, I think he had a good game, overall. Not great in the opening 30 mins as was the whole team, but was very good in the remainder of his time on the pitch, especially in the second half when he did very well with ball recoveries to keep the pressure on the Soton defense. We were just missing that final ball and maybe a little bit of luck as well.

As for his overall contribution to the team in recent weeks, I think he emphasized what we (or at least I) already knew about him: He's a good defensive midfielder and a consistent player who will do a job for the team whenever called upon eight times out of ten. Yesterday was his 6th start in the last 7 matches if I'm not mistaken. I think it would be very hard to find a better squad player who could come into the team in December, after not playing much, and perform as reliably.

Yeah, I don't disagree that it's easier to find a creative #10 rather than a creative CM, but we have what we have. I don't think we'll be buying a CAM. If we do buy an attacking player, a right winger should be the priority.

but if we buy a good RW (to which I agree should be a priority over CAM or even CM), then we can rotate Willian and Oscar in the #10 for the matches Cesc plays in the pivot. We don't need to have three absolute creative players in the three AMs positions and as we said, Mourinho demands great workrate from at least one of them.

I think a creative RW solves all our problems in the attack. With Hazard in one side and someone like Reus in the other, we can afford to have Willian or Oscar in the middle, without having to move Cesc there to have more creativity in the attack.

I also want to see Oscar playing a few times in the RW. He's no wonder, but maybe an AM with Hazard - Cesc - Oscar and Ramires replacing Mikel (when Rami is in form again) could work out until next summer. Then Willian could rotate with Oscar. Anything is better than having Mikel in the pivot if we want to dominate games.

Witsel looks to be going somewhat cheap, considering the previous prices around, due to the Russian currency deflation.

Witsel-matic

Cesc

For the sake of £20m, doesn't seem the worst idea if we are going with the change approach depending on the game which we have recently I. E. Cesc moving forward from the deeper role.

No problems with keeping Mikel and investing that £20m in a right winger, either.

I actually disagree and I'm surprised few people realize what kind of damage playing Mikel brings to the team.

This isn't about creativity, this is about fluidity, dominance, quick play and making the opposition our bitches.

What do we realize in ALL matches Mikel played for us this month? That our pressing isn't anywhere as good as it normally is without him. Part of that is because Oscar is one of our best pressers immediately after we lose possession, but that also because Mikel doesn't press much where matters because he's never positioned where matters (way too deep and behind other players), Cesc presses as much as he can, but it isn't that amazing, especially when he's very high in the pitch.

But that could be a coincidence, the players being tired and a lot of other stuff that have nothing to do with Mikel. What really has a lot to do with Mikel is that we lose dominance with him in the midfield because we look soft, slow, toothless, and we play way too deep.

He simply destroys our newly established style by simply being in the team sheet. He doesn't know what means pass onwards, forward, he doesn't present himself to link up with the AMs, he doesn't take one single risk, he delays, slows down and sometimes kills out transition altogether.

He's a good defender - he will offer some stability as José likes to call it, but that's about it.

I was discussing with Choulo that we didn't dominate the midfield at all - I guess against Stoke, when combined him and Matic had 16 successful tackles, but that's not dominating because when you dominate midfield your opponent doesn't even have the ball long enough for you to have sixteen tackles!!!!!!! That's the whole point. It really surprises me how nobody mentions or notices that we play completely different when he's not in the team. Proof of that? Many of you said our best match this season has been against West Ham. One single match where he didn't play among many where he did play. Today our best moment in the match was in the second half, and while he was there for some part of it, it was barely because of him (Southampton got tired) and when he was subbed off we played even better. How can't you guys see it?

The problem is not that he's making mistakes, or that he's having bad matches because despite not being as solid as he normally was when he played more often (which is natural), the problem with Mikel isn't what he does bad or well, it's what he can't do at all.

When Willian, Oscar, Cesc and Hazard are playing - especially the latest three, they go deep to get the ball and they move it quickly, they make 1-2s all the time, they have been working better and better like on that. They're developing chemistry and Cesc has been instrumental for Oscar's improvement imo. With Mikel there he doesn't offer it. When Cesc or Hazard drop to start the play, he ignores them more often than not because he won't pass to them unless it's a 110% safe pass. More often than not he'll pass sideways or backwards. How can we bloody dictate the tempo, dominate the midfield, suffocate our opponent with quick, smart and imposing football if we're softly passing the ball to nowhere that matters? How can nobody notice or mention it is beyond me.

And please, you guys are really lacking observing skills if you say BS such as 'when Mikel plays Matic goes higher in the pitch, something he doesn't do much when Fabregas is playing'. Untrue fact and untrue fact. Today Mikel was ahead of Matic on many occasions - because as I said, Mikel drags the rest of the plays to go deep as he can't for the life of him make a pass forward unless the player is 2m away from him. So Matic naturally plays deeper otherwise Mikel will spend the whole day exchanging passes with our back four. Another untrue fact is that he doesn't go high in the pitch when he's playing with Cesc. He does all the time - exactly because when Cesc click with the AMs we just keep the ball moving faster and forward, objectively and in an involving way that is drags Matic higher in the pitch - exactly the opposite of what happens with Mikel.

Notice I'm not detracting Mikel as a player - as I said he's a very good, albeit limited, defensive midfield, but he doesn't fit our new style, he detracts our dominating play and he simply has no place starting in a team with Chelsea ambitions - titles wise and performance wise. He brings the team down simply because the kind of player he is. In another situation, in another team, or maybe even in the current Chelsea in a very specific situation he can be really good, but that's not the case anymore. Still people won't admit that the only significant change in the matches we dominated and the ones we didn't in the last two or three weeks is exactly John Obi Mikel.

edit: I'll write an article about it with heat maps, passing stats, and whatnot to see how we change our setup completely because of one single piece in the team. Checking the heat maps on Squawka now makes it as clear as day. If anything he detracts Matic's influence in the attack in the matches he plays...

Superbly written article that says it all about Mikel. A good(ish) player who does not suit our new style of play.

WHAT? i can guarantee you that with mikel starting alongside matic we would not have conceded more than 2 goals if that.

Mate if he have had played, he would have been the cause for us loosing and City winning. He better leaves for his own sake.

Mate if he have had played, he would have been the cause for us loosing and City winning. He better leaves for his own sake.

oh.. that ways. then i totally agree.

infact i was glad he dint play. i mean i saw a couple of posts saying that the soton draw was his fault, i can only imagine what would have happened to him if he was on the pitch against spurs.

oh.. that ways. then i totally agree.

infact i was glad he dint play. i mean i saw a couple of posts saying that the soton draw was his fault, i can only imagine what would have happened to him if he was on the pitch against spurs.

yes, thets what I've been refering to.

Probably one of his biggest critics over here but had he started yesterday we would not have conceded 5 goals, should start away games from now on especially the tough ones

Agreed, but then again if he had played he'd have been crucified.