Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I thought he showed yesterday yet again that he's an horrible footballer. Can't stand him, his passing, his stupid fouls he gives... yeah he stopped a couple of stoke's attacks, but a lot of times he couldn't and left it for Matic, more often than not he loses his fights for a ball against another player. It's like he's big but also so weak.

I thought he showed yesterday yet again that he's an horrible footballer. Can't stand him, his passing, his stupid fouls he gives... yeah he stopped a couple of stoke's attacks, but a lot of times he couldn't and left it for Matic, more often than not he loses his fights for a ball against another player. It's like he's big but also so weak.

We all know he's not a great passer of the ball so there is no point bringing that up again. The only reason why he plays is because he's supposed to do the dirty work for us. Give this man some respect at least, he's been at the club for almost a decade so surely there is a reason why he is still here. I believe for these tough fixtures, Mikel is the best option to partner Matic in the pivot.

He does what his manger instructs him to do. He doesn't always get to start but for that he does not bicker. He will be an important of the team this season so there is no point singling him out almost every time he plays.

hahhaha... LOL

As always, so much hate! :lol:

I do think he was the best payer against Newcastle along with Didier and so did a lot of people, including, obviously, Jose. Obviously we have better options than him in that position in the team and so he is not going to be more than a squad player, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was excellent in that game and has overall done good in the last 4 matches for us.

You, and everyone, should be absolutely delighted that we have squad players who are willing to accept minor roles, cause no trouble about it and still train hard everyday, and then come up with good performances when called upon in the team. That's practically every manager's dream!

My sentiments exactly. As much as I think Matic is so much better, I would not want to just throw Mikel away precisely because of this. It's pretty much the same with Schurrle too. The ability to play different cards based on the situation is a fantastic situation for any manager.

Ok - here goes - Mikels last few performances have been very good and much more than I ever expected.

I don't think we should use him all of the time - I prefer Matic/Fab/Oscar

But, credit where it is due. he has stepped up in the last few games, long may it continue :)

Can't agree DH. If he was good enough as an AM/CM there would have been no need, and therefore no attempt, to mould him. He was not, and is not, good enough however.

Each to their own matey, unfortunately we will never know if he was good enough and thats my point/sad thing. We all know the Mikel to be simple, safe and a good squad member, I do not think he's ever upset the apple cart as it were and he's a mainstay in the squad, has the odd good game, has the odd bad game but when he was young, he was a prospect further up the field, just that though, a prospect.

I know its lower opposition as it were but Nigeria Mikel is a glimpse of what he had instead of sitting back at Chelsea, getting the ball and pass mastering the art of side ways 5 yard balls.

There's one reason I don't like Mikel-Matic playing together and that's Cesc not being as effective, imo, for us in the advanced role. Oscar & Fab need to play for us to be a more attacking presence, but I do understand why José used Mikel-Matic v Stoke away.

For Mikel himself, he did well yesterday. Playing alongside Matic has made Obi step-up and it's really positive to see.. You can tell Mikel's instincts are not more active than reactive. More determination to break up the opposition's play early and provide earlier distribution.

Each to their own matey, unfortunately we will never know if he was good enough and thats my point/sad thing. We all know the Mikel to be simple, safe and a good squad member, I do not think he's ever upset the apple cart as it were and he's a mainstay in the squad, has the odd good game, has the odd bad game but when he was young, he was a prospect further up the field, just that though, a prospect.

I know its lower opposition as it were but Nigeria Mikel is a glimpse of what he had instead of sitting back at Chelsea, getting the ball and pass mastering the art of side ways 5 yard balls.

Thanks DH. Certainly not looking for an argument but maybe we can have an interesting conversation about this. My views in a nutshell: -

I concede that Mikel was rated as a big prospect and was coveted by two of the great managers in the game.

I do not concede however that he ever lived up to expectation as an AM/CM, or that he was not given ample opportunities to do so. My recollection is that he was given many. I believe therefore that we do know he is not good enough to play higher than he does now because we've seen him try and we've seen him fail.

I think Nigeria Mikel is a myth. The odd good game is all that amounts to as well. There's the oft quoted game in the Confederations Cup last year but not much else.

I like Mikel as a closer. When we're two up and Mikel is introduced I smile and feel happy. I'm never so happy however when Mikel starts, although I can live with it when it's a JM decision.

I'd be quite surprised if Mikel's current contract is extended, and just as surprised if he ever earns another at the same level.

Mikel is a very good defensive midfielder completely useless to anything else that isn't defending or passing backwards.

While I think Jose's assessment regarding Oscar was spot on - the match was too physical for him - I hate the fact that to afford Fabregas at #10 we need to partner Matic with Mikel. Mikel did what he normally does good well, but he also did pretty bad at what he's bad. He can't give one single pass forward, with him in the team we naturally sit deeper because instead of advancing he makes the AMs and FBs go deep to get the ball going. That drives me nuts, a team of our size shouldn't play like that.

I don't like to have him in the team because he disrupts the fluidity of our midfield moving forward. I don't have a problem with his latest performances, but it's no wonder we've looked worse than usual, didn't dominate the midfield at all like we do when we have Cesc, Matic and Oscar.

I like Cesc better when he's in the pivot, but I understand why for certain matches Jose wants him as a #10, but knowing the price for that is having Mikel in the lineup just gives me more reason to like Cesc better in the midfield.

And for God's sake, if we're playing Mikel, Willian just has to be on the bench. I can't measure how frustrating is to play BOTH at the same time. Schurrle should have started...

Thanks DH. Certainly not looking for an argument but maybe we can have an interesting conversation about this. My views in a nutshell: -

I concede that Mikel was rated as a big prospect and was coveted by two of the great managers in the game.

I do not concede however that he ever lived up to expectation as an AM/CM, or that he was not given ample opportunities to do so because he was given many. I believe therefore that we do know he is not good enough to play higher than he does now because we've seen him try and we've seen him fail.

I think Nigeria Mikel is a myth. The odd good game is all that amounts to as well. There's the oft quoted game in the Confederations Cup last year but not much else.

Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of a what if machine (or perhaps Roman would have saved himself £50m on Torres) but I'd like to of seen Mikel at United under Fergie etc.

I agree, he never ever lived up to expectation as an AM, hardly given opportunity to but as a CM I agree he's had ample opportunities but I think he's been stifled and able to get away with being safe for so long that its second nature, nobody expected anymore of him, get the ball, pass it onto others, get the ball, pass it onto others etc. When your asked to do a job for say.. 40 games, week in, week out, training etc. then asked to go further forward it becomes difficult without a run of games. I'm certainly not suggesting we push him forward nowadays this is purely from a point of view from way back when before Jose pulled him back and stuck him with Maka.

Its more of a, again, what if, scenario thats all that I find sad about it. There is no guarantee if we had played him as an AM he would of flourished so again, what if indeed.

Nigeria Mikel is just a view of Mikel with more freedom, less burden, he really does excel but again, opposition etc. its one thing playing for Team ABC, another for Chelsea, Hi Lukaku! :halo:

Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of a what if machine (or perhaps Roman would have saved himself £50m on Torres) but I'd like to of seen Mikel at United under Fergie etc.

I agree, he never ever lived up to expectation as an AM, hardly given opportunity to but as a CM I agree he's had ample opportunities but I think he's been stifled and able to get away with being safe for so long that its second nature, nobody expected anymore of him, get the ball, pass it onto others, get the ball, pass it onto others etc. When your asked to do a job for say.. 40 games, week in, week out, training etc. then asked to go further forward it becomes difficult without a run of games. I'm certainly not suggesting we push him forward nowadays this is purely from a point of view from way back when before Jose pulled him back and stuck him with Maka.

Its more of a, again, what if, scenario thats all that I find sad about it. There is no guarantee if we had played him as an AM he would of flourished so again, what if indeed.

Nigeria Mikel is just a view of Mikel with more freedom, less burden, he really does excel but again, opposition etc. its one thing playing for Team ABC, another for Chelsea, Hi Lukaku! :halo:

You ask a reasonable question about what might have happened had Mikel played for ManU, and how different expectations could have impacted his development. We can't know how that would have gone but, based on our experience of the player, we can each make a guess. Personally, I doubt he'd have succeed. Jose did not give up on Mikel as an attacking option because the player was good at it, Jose gave up because Mikel was not good at a forward thinking role. My belief is that SAF would have done the same, just as he gave up on Anderson.

I have seen no evidence of Mikel flourishing for Nigeria. He was indeed excellent against Spain, a game in which Nigeia were nevertheless soundly beaten, but prior to that his place in the team had come under scrutiny.

The first time I saw Lukaku play for Chelsea I said he had no business being at a team with Chelsea's ambitions. Many thought that opinion was wrong at the time, and plenty still do, but I stick by it.

Roman would have saved every penny spent on Torres if our owner had shared my opinion on the player. I was confused by his success at Liverpool because he had no qualities which explained how it happened. No touch, no control, no hold up play, no passing and no dribbling. I never rated Torres and would never have spent a single penny on him. It's probably safe for us to guess that Roman wishes he hadn't either. :)

You ask a reasonable question about what might have happened had Mikel played for ManU, and how different expectations could have impacted his development. We can't know how that would have gone but, based on our experience of the player, we can each make a guess. Personally, I doubt he'd have succeed. Jose did not give up on Mikel as an attacking option because the player was good at it, Jose gave up because Mikel was not good at a forward thinking role. My belief is that SAF would have done the same, just as he gave up on Anderson.

I have seen no evidence of Mikel flourishing for Nigeria. He was indeed excellent against Spain, a game in which Nigeia were nevertheless soundly beaten, but prior to that his place in the team had come under scrutiny.

The first time I saw Lukaku play for Chelsea I said he had no business being at a team with Chelsea's ambitions. Many thought that opinion was wrong at the time, and plenty still do, but I stick by it.

Roman would have saved every penny spent on Torres if our owner had shared my opinion on the player. I was confused by his success at Liverpool because he had no qualities which explained how it happened. No touch, no control, no hold up play, no passing and no dribbling. I never rated Torres and would never have spent a single penny on him. It's probably safe for us to guess that Roman wishes he hadn't either. :)

Its very much a what if and how I view Mikel's, in my opinion, stalled development and pushed into a role he was not made for BUT saying that, he was comfortable enough to do it and like I said play the safe guy, get it, pass it 5 yards etc. not really offering anything to the team which is why Matic was such a huge upgrade, the times of a get it and give it DM are over, sort of, players evolve as do positions, 'pivot'.

Again its a matter of opinion I've watched enough of Mikel for Nigeria and Chelsea to make the comparison, in my opinion, between the two, he has more to offer than he gives us but would I want him to now? No, years ago? Probably.

i don't know why i get mad when mike make a back pass but when others do it i pick no offense, i feel he lost is confidence and i feel bad and fear make a wrong decision make his back pass. on the other hand Matic boss his game making forward and back passes with confidence.

Apparently Mikel was the best player on the pitch versus Newcastle?! Ummmm, my previous post outlined where he fucked up using Alan Shearer's analysis on motd - I'm sure the Newcastle game is still on the Beeb's iPlayer so go and have a beak and get educated on partly why we lost that game because of Mikels mistakes, if Mikel was motm then we're in big kin trouble if Matic has a spell on the sidelines! How can can people really believe he was motm when he was at fault for both kin well goals is a kin mystery?!

I've discussed his flaws on many occasions with different member's on here over the years and stated that he is just not good enough and given logical reasoning for it, well here we are a few years on we finally have a world class DM that just ooze's class in Matic, there's a casm in class between these 2, I'm not a fan of stats but seeing that JT and Cahill only had to make 1 tackle between them all night cus Matic carries out his job to perfection speaks volumes of his growing stature, his quality is something we have missed since the days of the great Makelele.

However, I've always said there are certain games where Mikel is useful and last night was right up his street, handled the physical bit well but like William gave away possession far too much for my liking and I have to agree with Barbara in that its a nightmare having these 2 players on the pitch at the same time.