Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Does he ever go past a player? all I see he does is passing side way and backward, not even attempting many tackles. Can't believed he used to be a CAM at the start of his career.

Look like that player that you throw on to park the pen area and that is about it, God knows how he is still one of the best Nigerian player in their team now.

3/3 successful takeons. Second most on the pitch behind only Hazard. But if you're so intent on viewing him as bad player, please don't let facts stand in your way...

Most passes completed by a player in the Premier League this weekend (Mikel-95, Lucas Leiva-80, Fabregas-80) and 17 ball recoveries during the Newcastle game, nine more than Tiote, who was the closest player in that department (@Squawka)

How many of those passes were in front of him and not sideways or backwards? He plays football with the rules of rugby :Goober:

Mikel is a half decent player.....................But you dont win anything with half decent players. He is long past his peak (whenever that was !!) and he just doesn't instill confidence when I see him play. Yes he made a lot of passes on Saturday, but in what direction. The guy is too slow and too cumbersome for the Premiership and especially for the way Chelsea are playing now. Thanks Mikel, but it's way past time for you to move on. I personally don't think he ever justified the fee we had to pay United.

Mikel is a half decent player.....................But you dont win anything with half decent players. He is long past his peak (whenever that was !!) and he just doesn't instill confidence when I see him play. Yes he made a lot of passes on Saturday, but in what direction. The guy is too slow and too cumbersome for the Premiership and especially for the way Chelsea are playing now. Thanks Mikel, but it's way past time for you to move on. I personally don't think he ever justified the fee we had to pay United.

He probably did considering we won the Champions League with him in the starting lineup :clown:

He probably did considering we won the Champions League with him in the starting lineup :clown:

I admire your loyalty to him Kieran, and yes, he played very well in that game, but so did the other 10 heroes. But you cant live on the memories of one game. I feel he have consistently flattered to deceive and never fulfilled the potential he was supposed to possess.

I like Mikel,I feel he is,I wouldn't say underrated but people don't recognize that a holding midfielder is one of the hardest positions on the pitch and I feel Mikel,When played does that role well but maybe in January bring in somebody else just incase Matic or Fabregas do pick up a knock, just to strengthen our bench. But i love how he has stuck with the club. :blue scalf:

Remember when people said Ramires would be Matic's direct replacement if he was injured/suspended? Can't say I didn't tell yous all Mikel would play if Matic couldn't. He was a controlling figure in the game for us I thought, when we had the ball he kept it and moved it well in comparison to Cesc who had a bit of a weird day with some poor passes and a poor completion rate for him if I remember correctly.

I like Mikel,I feel he is,I wouldn't say underrated but people don't recognize that a holding midfielder is one of the hardest positions on the pitch and I feel Mikel,When played does that role well but maybe in January bring in somebody else just incase Matic or Fabregas do pick up a knock, just to strengthen our bench. But i love how he has stuck with the club. :blue scalf:

Is it that hard just a few times to pass the ball forward QUICKLY

zolayes, I see where your coming from,I think the reason I have this soft spot for him is because he has stayed loyal,and I feel as if in January he will go but yeah I would agree hes not the quickest on the break :D:D

zolayes, I see where your coming from,I think the reason I have this soft spot for him is because he has stayed loyal,and I feel as if in January he will go but yeah I would agree hes not the quickest on the break :D:D

Thats ok I appreciate fans who stick by players .. I didnt mean a few passes in a game ,,, I meant in a month :halo:

I actually feel embarrassed for people who actually believe this. Honestly. Maybe the new hipster thing to do on TC since I've been away is to sing Mikel's praises anytime he is on the pitch, I don't know.

As I have always argued, people can throw up all the stats they want about Mikel, that's great, because they only show what he has done. My argument has always been about what he does not do; his general passiveness on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVAfcwC5nk

Goal #1: Mikel does his party trick: jogs alongside a player to make it look like he's doing something when he's actually doing fuck all. Marking someone? Nope. Challenges him? Nope. Runs alongside him for about 30 yards and does not attempt to challenge him even though he is well covered with 2 defenders in front. Lets a player freely run 30 yards into the box - great defensive midfield play.

Goal #2: This is where he really fucks up. Tries to win the ball high up the pitch and completely fails, leaving the defence totally exposed. Yeah ok, we were chasing the game, fair enough but if you're not getting the ball you have to at least get the man - especially if you are supposed to be anchorman going to ground in the opposition's half! For fuck sake, it schoolboy stuff. He wasn't even on a yellow. At least Ramires would've taken the man.

I remember giving Mikel stick for being passive and not making tackles, only for Choulo to tell me something like (I'm not digging the conversation up) that he doesn't do it because if he fails it will leave the defence exposed. Well, when we judge Mikel do simple rules like these not still apply?! Or do they change according to the agenda? It seems like they change...

I'm not saying it was all down to him, but considering his involvement (or lack thereof) in both goals, the 2nd in particular, and to say the man had a good game is nothing short of embarrassing.

Well for one Mikel does nothing wrong for goal 1, hes in a position where he can intercept a cross towards the penalty area if it comes to him and clear it/start an attack.

For goal 2, he goes out of position and tries to take the ball, loses it and our back 4 are then exposed. So you set yourself up to fall there really. Hes much much better at blocking passing lanes, positioning himself, making interceptions and reading the game than anything else in my eyes but people seem to complain when he doesn't run about like a pure nutter, trying to steal the ball high up the park, which if he does that means hes not vacating the space in front of the defence (is Cesc gonna do that? No) and even when he doesn't try to do that and sits vacating spaces (to protect the back 4) he gets criticized for not going into challenges or not running enough.

Football isn't all running anymore and in quite all honestly it never has just been about running. I was reading an interview that Jamie Carragher did with Xabi Alonso. Alonso mentions Pep and how he tells players like Gotze to stop running looking for the ball in training and just stand still where he is (presumably he meant a space between the lines or between two players). Its the same for players like Mikel trying to counter that. If he can stand in a space that dangerous attacking players like to get into and block the pass or get there If you can read the game well enough you don't have to run 10 yards to make a tackle on a player that you tried tackling before and missed, you can just be in a position where you can take it off them with very little ease/intercept a pass.

Anyway as much as that might be a load of shite or whatever, the guy can't win, be it from pundits or people on this forum, there is always a problem with Mikel.

Thats ok I appreciate fans who stick by players .. I didnt mean a few passes in a game ,,, I meant in a month :halo:

I've been married for 30 years and my wife has made more passes at me than Mikel has made in the past month :wacko: And you can imagine how mant that was !!!!!!!!!!

How many of those passes were in front of him and not sideways or backwards? He plays football with the rules of rugby :Goober:

60 out of 103 forwards. 21 square/sideways. 22 backwards.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755447/player-stats/28495/1_PASS_15#tabs-wrapper-anchor

I've been married for 30 years and my wife has made more passes at me than Mikel has made in the past month :wacko: And you can imagine how mant that was !!!!!!!!!!

You are SO fucking .. Ive been married 49 years and mikel is still outscoring her scoring on forward passes

there was a great one in 1964 another in 1966 when we won the WC ,, another about 2 years later ,,,

OH got one today ,,, WHEN I did all the shopping and the housework .. just shows a sweeper is sometimes appreciated