Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Hit on the counter twice. Matic is indispensable.

They're different players too, on top of what Skipper said. Mikel did well today, he was actually more positive in his nature then we're used to. He was actually trying to make strides forward rather than rest on his laurels (though that was more out of necessity than anything else). We know Mikel's limited ability, but he's not more liable than others for this loss.

Hit on the counter twice. Matic is indispensable.

What exactly did he do wrong on either goal, then?

The funnies thing about people blaming Mikel is that it is predictable from even before the match starts! :lol:

He had an very good performance, one of our better players today. Won almost everything in midfield in the first half, kept the ball moving well, and was vital to helping us keep the pressure on in the second half and even played a few excellent long balls into the box.

What exactly did he do wrong on either goal, then?

The funnies thing about people blaming Mikel is that it is predictable from even before the match starts! :lol:

He had an very good performance, one of our better players today. Won almost everything in midfield in the first half, kept the ball moving well, and was vital to helping us keep the pressure on in the second half and even played a few excellent long balls into the box.

All of this. His long balls into the box were brilliant.

I was watching the game with Superfrankie and we were joking how someone would find a way to blame Mikel and here we are now. Personally, I don't think we missed Matic at all today.

I wonder if people actualy watch games or just randomly blame certain players i.e. Mikel, Oscar.

I dont think Mikel is starting quality here, but he somehow always puts decent performance in important games and he did very well today. He didnt start over half year and he was still decent replacement for Matic. Cahill and Iva were reasons why we conceded, not Mikel.

However I have my doubts about Mikel as holding DM. He is alot more like b2b player for me (if he was given more freedom), but for that role, he simply lacks speed. He is slow as fuck for african player in prime age. At his size, he obv cant be pacy ala Willian, but he simply lacks that energy that Toure, Pogba, Wanyama, Essien have/had. Thats why I dont particulary like Mikel. He is not mobile, not going into challenges with enough determination, but apart from that he is good player.

Today he was quite brilliant in attack I must say. He had some lovely crosses, dribbles and runs. Apparently he made 3 dribbles, second best after Hazard of all 22 players. Not bad for someone who is apparently shit. His ball control in nice and he holds the ball well. Like I said, he is kinda better in attack than defence and I would love for sake of it to see him in more advanced role in some cup game.

Reason why we lost game is because of Iva and Cahill, and because our attackers were fatigued and because Costa had realy shit game. Not Mikel. That said I dislike his passive defending, his slow reactions, but he is fine as backup Dm as long as others do their job too.

From statszone:

17 ball recoveries

95/103 passes completed (92% accuracy)

1 chance created

2/3 won aerial duels

2 interceptions

3/3 successful take-ons

3/3 successful clearances.

Also 18/23 passes completed to final third

and 50% completed long balls (4/8).

Once again people will say correlation does not determine causation. However, at some point one, perhaps the manager, is bound to start asking whether there is causation between our results and whether Mikel plays or not.

Like I wrote on the other thread, he did his things well enough, but I just don't think much of the things he can do. When he plays we lack, tremendously, the stuff Matic can, and mikel cannot do.

Mikel is never tight market because he's not a threat. They will only going to challenge him if they think they can regain possession. He doesn't contribute in the build up play and lacks movement (not enough pace); our AMs will certainly get less service with Mikel on the pitch. And because Mikel is never tight marked, that leaves more defenders to mark them. We already have a CB (Cahill) who cannot hit a long ball to save his life, and with Mikel our attackers will always struggle.

Let me exemplify my point: we were chasing the game down by a goal. Mikel receives a pass from Fabregas in the center of the pitch. He has no opponent near him and instead of turning and making a run to join the attack, which is what Matic would've done, he quickly and needlessly squares it right back to Fabregas (pass completion check! :)). Even the announcer was saying, "way too many touches - too slow." He plays like Cahill in possession, but Mikel is a midfielder.

If you cannot see the enormous difference in quality between Mikel and Matic, then I guess we should just agree to disagree.

If you cannot see the enormous difference in quality between Mikel and Matic, then I guess we should just agree to disagree.

I don't think that's being disputed by anyone here though. Every fan left, right and centre knows that Matic is much more of a better player than Mikel. What is being said though, is that Mikel wasn't as negative as he usually is by nature. Yes, he did make those needless sideways passes he's accustomed to.. But he did make a lot more positive strides forward than I've seen him do when he was a regular starter. He's learning, albeit very slowly, from Matic's play.

I don't think that's being disputed by anyone here though. Every fan left, right and centre knows that Matic is much more of a better player than Mikel. What is being said though, is that Mikel wasn't as negative as he usually is by nature. Yes, he did make those needless sideways passes he's accustomed to.. But he did make a lot more positive strides forward than I've seen him do when he was a regular starter. He's learning, albeit very slowly, from Matic's play.

Fair enough.

Just feel there are far better options out there, even as a sub. Guys with more energy, urgency, quality, and yes pace.

Fair enough.

Just feel there are far better options out there, even as a sub. Guys with more energy, urgency, quality, and yes pace.

I think Fabregas-Mikel is a combination that won't work, I mentioned it in Fab's thread because of his positioning. If Mikel was in a midfield trio with Fabregas and Ramires, then I think it works (while Matic is out).

Ramires - Mikel - Fabregas

Oscar - Hazard

For the pace we'd lose with Willian, we'd regain with Ramires. He's got the stamina and pace to do it.