Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Well, attitude problems aside, Mikel is well too limited of a player to be playing in a pivot. He fits in better in a 4-3-3 due to the fact that formation has one person dedicated to the holding role, mainly staying in front of the back 4 and nothing else. However, in a 4-2-3-1, where we only have two central midfielders, because Mikel is so limited offensively and creatively, it often leaves well too much responsibility on the shoulders of his partner (which none of our other central midfielders are good enough to take up) and gives us absolutely no ideas going forward. If you compare him to players like Gundogan and Martinez, it's should become quite clear as to why they made it to the finals of the Champions League and why we couldn't even get out of the groups.

The Question is, if he really is that limited, he excells for Nigeria since two years when haveing the license for roaming forward, so maybe its because of our strict strategical view for him? Maybe he can't get out of the idea play'n as pure DM like in a 4-3-3 at chelsea?

Well, attitude problems aside, Mikel is well too limited of a player to be playing in a pivot. He fits in better in a 4-3-3 due to the fact that formation has one person dedicated to the holding role, mainly staying in front of the back 4 and nothing else.

I don't know if Makelele would fit our team anymore in all honesty.

On these two points, could we possibly make an argument that this has been a major stumbling block for Mikel to have evolved into the holding role? SeB eluded to the fact that Mikel has been mismanaged since Mourinho's departure which is certainly a plausible explanation because it was José who first changed Mikel from an attacking to defensive player.

On these two points, could we possibly make an argument that this has been a major stumbling block for Mikel to have evolved into the holding role? SeB eluded to the fact that Mikel has been mismanaged since Mourinho's departure which is certainly a plausible explanation because it was José who first changed Mikel from an attacking to defensive player.

did he really? I thought I was the only one with that opinion at my previous post a page ago, but then finally I've found somebody understanding me :P

did he really? I thought I was the only one with that opinion at my previous post a page ago, but then finally I've found somebody understanding me :P

Oh, it was you! I'd forgotten which one said it :lol: - Apologies!

Well, attitude problems aside, Mikel is well too limited of a player to be playing in a pivot. He fits in better in a 4-3-3 due to the fact that formation has one person dedicated to the holding role, mainly staying in front of the back 4 and nothing else. However, in a 4-2-3-1, where we only have two central midfielders, because Mikel is so limited offensively and creatively, it often leaves well too much responsibility on the shoulders of his partner (which none of our other central midfielders are good enough to take up) and gives us absolutely no ideas going forward. If you compare him to players like Gundogan and Martinez, it's should become quite clear as to why they made it to the finals of the Champions League and why we couldn't even get out of the groups.

I think he offers more to the team than Essien will (although that's not saying much), but why give either of those two a chance in the team when we have Ake, Loftus Cheek, and Romeu plus a new buy like De Rossi (potentially)?

I'm not a fan of Mikel in anyway...but he can be a squad player for Chelsea until at least one of Ake, RLC, Chalobah are ready for first team football..

If we give him more freedom in a 4-3-3, who knows, he might actually do well.

I think there is a chance Mikel does turn it around, but Mourinho is going to have to change so much about him. He was an attacking midfielder when we signed him, but we stripped so much adventure out of his game to make him into a Makelele-clone and I think he needs to claw some of that back.

Look at his goal contribution for instance. He isn't in the team to score goals but 6 seasons?? It's absurd that a guy with his physical gifts doesn't get the odd goal. It's not a massive point but it's just one more thing that illustrates a lack of ambition or adventure on his part.

I think it's all mental because physically he has everything you could ask for, save for a bit of explosiveness over the first 5 yards. He can see a pass, he can fend off players, he's 6'2", he's got a nice touch and he can run with the ball but there just seems so much reluctance on his part to do so. Now maybe that's the coaches fault and Jose can turn it around, but he needs to really get his arse into gear and work his bollocks off because there are young guys with similar gifts chomping at his heels.

Well said.

Personally, if we can get Mikel playing like he does for Nigeria...we'll have more variety in midfield and it might actually help youngsters like Aké, Chalobah as there would be less pressure on them to perform straight-away..

Never thought I'd see the day this happens in the Mikel thread, that both sides can actually get along and agree on even a few things.. Maybe there is a god :drunk:

Sorry to break up the love-in, but I've seen Mikel play with more 'variety', meaning kicking a ball more than 5yrds, and he's terrible at it.

Remember when Benitez first came in and he decided to see if Mikel could be his 'Alonso'? lol, it was quite funny. It was like having Cech in midfield.

I'd love for it to be only a mental thing, but I just think he's just too far gone for it to be that.

Sorry to break up the love-in

There's always one -_-:lol:

--

But I'm slightly in agreement, I'm not sure if he's exactly capable of those 30-yard over-the-top long passes. But what I do think is that he's got the ability to drive on and play a fairly good weighted through-ball if the attacking players ahead of him make those runs. We'll only know when the tactics of the squad calls for that kind of play and that'll only be shown if that's the way Mou goes about his tactics.

I can see Mikel causing the frist conflict at the club between Jose and Emenalo ,we have a problem here ,at Rafa's first press conference he announced that Mikel had been given a 5 year contract ,Benitez did not give him a five year contract ,by the time Benitez had left he had worked Mikel out and dropped him ,even Ake was playing in front of Mikel v Everton . Now my guess is Emenalo played a big part in Mikel getting a five year deal ,Benitez obviously did not rate Mikel and is a top manager ,what if Jose does not rate Mikel ,will Emenalo like this ? .

In my opinion Jose needs to have control of this issue and Emenalo top coach of womans football teams,should continue to work as a scout and leave the team to Jose . Lets hope this has been agreed and Emenalo knows his place as director of football /scout, not manager of the team . Without this having been clarified I can see problems as Emenalo obviously rates Mikel and is his mate, hence the five year contract when we were managerless. If Jose rates Mikel then OK ,no problem. But Rafa obviously did not .

I can see Mikel causing the frist conflict at the club between Jose and Emenalo ,we have a problem here ,at Rafa's first press conference he announced that Mikel had been given a 5 year contract ,Benitez did not give him a five year contract ,by the time Benitez had left he had worked Mikel out and dropped him ,even Ake was playing in front of Mikel v Everton . Now my guess is Emenalo played a big part in Mikel getting a five year deal ,Benitez obviously did not rate Mikel and is a top manager ,what if Jose does not rate Mikel ,will Emenalo like this ? .

In my opinion Jose needs to have control of this issue and Emenalo top coach of womans football teams,should continue to work as a scout and leave the team to Jose . Lets hope this has been agreed and Emenalo knows his place as director of football /scout, not manager of the team . Without this having been clarified I can see problems as Emenalo obviously rates Mikel and is his mate, hence the five year contract when we were managerless. If Jose rates Mikel then OK ,no problem. But Rafa obviously did not .

Lmao.......

Who signed Mikel again? Mourinho or the guy who wasn't here when we bought him? How has Emenalo even come into this discussion, because he's Nigerian?!

Who gave Mikel a 5 year deal and who dropped him?

Answer 1 Someone at the club .

Answer 2 our last manager .

Do you think Benitez dropped him because he is Nigerian? strange question .

No it was because he was rubbish .

But that's not the question in context. How would Mikel cause a rift between Mourinho and Emenalo?! Mourinho signed Mikel, he probably keeps in touch with Mikel. Does that mean any player we've signed/given a contract extension to is a problem? We gave Ramires a contract extension, if Mou doesn't want him, will that also cause a rift?

You do not get it do you . We gave a player a 5 year deal on big wages ,this is a big statement saying here is our future ,our next manager clearly said this player is not good enough to play an important game and a kid played in his place

,Mourinho probably had no say at all in signing a teenager at that time ,true he was managing the club though ,I would suspect it was Arnesen ,so your Mourinho signed him is rubbish .

You do not get it do you . We gave a player a 5 year deal on big wages ,this is a big statement saying here is our future ,our next manager clearly said this player is not good enough to play an important game and a kid played in his place

,Mourinho probably had no say at all in signing a teenager at that time ,true he was managing the club though ,I would suspect it was Arnesen ,so your Mourinho signed him is rubbish .

Actually you are right about Emenalo. When Mikel first moved to Chelsea, Emenalo was one of the agents involved. There are profiles of Emenalo that say he was influential in getting Mikel to Chelsea and those were his first contacts at the club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/michael-emenalo-an-exceptional-player-and-great-person-he-is-the-full-package-2141171.html

The 5 year deal that Mikel was offered last year was clearly his work.

As for Jose Mourinho being the one who signed Mikel and rated him highly, Mourinho signed the second best player at a youth tournament behind Messi. He signed him for potential. Potential, that sadly Mikel has failed to realize. As is clear from Pepe's example, Mourinho never shies away from dropping a non-performer. Same is going to happen to John Obi Mikel and 4-5 people on this thread will then be inconsolable.

It already happened under Benitez and we went on a great run securing third place when many thought we would not and winning the Europa League ,Rafa embarrased Mikel, to have a kid play in your place in an important game is a big insult ,

Benitez had made up his mind on Mikel ,even Lampard who we were told could not play 2 games a week was playing three at the end. Luiz,Lampard,Ramires,Ake were all in front of Mikel at the end of the season ,he was dropped.