Peter Bonetti

Cant believe there isn't a thread for Chelseas greatest ever keeper in terms of legend status. I grew up watching him week in week out in The Shed.

Anyway, found this, and its very sad news

Hi all, as a founding member of Chelsea West Mids supporters club, we were sent a message this week which was very upsetting that i want to make you all aware of. I had known from my visits to the Bridge of late that sadly our former custodian, Peter 'The Cat' Bonetti, was not in the best of health, and had the onset of the early stages of dementia. We were informed this week by a lady who went to visit her aunt at Bloxwich Hosptial in the West Mids, (who is also a WBA season ticket holder), that she was surprised and saddened to also see Peter in the same hospital. He is not in the best of health, and does not appear to have any visitors (we are going to pay him a visit by the way), and she also said he was watching the Chelsea v Leeds cup final match on TV, and seemed to have a recollection of it. Her husband informed Chelsea and the PFA apparently of Peter's whereabouts, as she said he does not appear to have the funds for long-term home care, hence the hospitalisation, and thought it would be nice if former team-mates or colleagues could pay him a visit. Sadly, no feedback has been recieved to either. I think we need to make people (Chelsea fans and former players, and the Club) fully aware of Peter's plight, and see if something can be done, as it has been in the past when other players, not necessarily our own, have fallen on hard times, and/or illness. So, everyone, i will get word out on sites and social media and contact Bruce Buck et al, but feel free to inform as many as possible, so hopefully Peter will realise he is not alone, not forgotten, and is forever a true blue in our hearts and minds. KTBFFH. Thank you for reading this.

My first Chelsea keeper and along with Cech our best ever. He was only 5ft 10 which is almost a foot smaller then some keepers today. I remember a couple of my mates had Peter Bonetti gloves which were considered to be the best available at the time. He's career will always be overshadowed by one poor game for England which is a real shame because he was a last minute replacement for the ill Gordon Banks. It's extremely sad to see him ill and no visitors makes it even worse. I can only presume he's estranged from his kids as I remember he became a postman in the Hebrides or somewhere when he retired and there were pictures of him and his young family.

Chelsea have been pretty good under Roman helping out ex players so I hope something will be done for a true legend and I use that word advisedly because that's what he was. And while I'm not trying to have a pop at other posters but I've seen the word legend used to describe Cudicini and Mata recently. 

Interesting that hes getting some response from watching the Chelsea v Leeds replay.

I have heard that's good therapy for people with dementia -they might not have much recognition of the present and recent memories, but have crystal clear recollections of events years ago, and showing them stuff from their earlier years can raise consciousness with improvement

I work in a dementia care home and have done for the past 6 years, it's not a surprise to me at all that he's getting a response to the Chelsea/Leeds game, if you imagine memories as a bookshelf, when something like dementia shakes it, the top level (the most recent memories) are lost easily but the ones from years ago stick around. 

20 minutes ago, Eidur the Spider said:

I work in a dementia care home and have done for the past 6 years, it's not a surprise to me at all that he's getting a response to the Chelsea/Leeds game, if you imagine memories as a bookshelf, when something like dementia shakes it, the top level (the most recent memories) are lost easily but the ones from years ago stick around. 

Respect to you, that is proper work.

I saw a dementia home near me were using a new therapy of sitting residents in a mock up of an old style train carriage, with a moving backdrop of scenery where the window was. Getting the residents to talk got amazing results as all the old memories of when they had travelled on those old trains came to the fore.This then enabled them to build, and reconcile with where they were in life now. Not a cure, but little steps....

7 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Dennis Skinner the MP was on the radio the other day his mum had dementia so he goes to old folks home and encourages patients to sing. Apparently they respond very well and more often then not can remember songs off by heart.

Hes great old Dennis. Maybe get Bonetti to sing some old Chelsea songs

• 3 years later...

Very sad news. Obviously before my time but my dad always speaks so highly of how good the cat was and I know looks back with great fondness on that early 70's team much in the same way as I do our late 90's team.

I understand he was suffering from dementia and having seen first hand how devastating that can be I'm pretty sure he's in a better place than the suffering he's had to endure in recent times.

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Chelsea football club has announced the death of Peter Bonetti. The Cat was first choice keeper when I became a fan. Rest in peace legend.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en

Same OFAG, actually met him when I was about 8 and his understudy Tommy Hughes.

BTW your namesake is also very poorly ATM, but has rallied a bit yesterday.

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Chelsea football club has announced the death of Peter Bonetti. The Cat was first choice keeper when I became a fan. Rest in peace legend.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en

Another legend leaves us. :(

RIP

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Same OFAG, actually met him when I was about 8 and his understudy Tommy Hughes.

BTW your namesake is also very poorly ATM, but has rallied a bit yesterday.

yes I posted on Jimmy 4 days back and was shocked no one said anything

the site is so dead atm

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

yes I posted on Jimmy 4 days back and was shocked no one said anything

the site is so dead atm

He was (is) one of the wittiest pundits ever as well back in the day. Saint n Greavsie show.