• Abraham (sub)
    • James (sub)

10 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Kepa

James.         Ruidger.        AC.         Alonso

Gilmour

Kova.                       Mount 

Willian.                Tammy.                Pulisic 

Subs: Willy, Zouma, Tomori, Emerson, Kante (reckon he is behind if not he starts), Barkley, RLC, Pedro, CHO, Giroud, Batsh*t 

(I read there will be 11 subs on the bench?). 

I'm glad Kante is over his fears but if he becomes an untouchable starter again....

23 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Kepa

James.         Ruidger.        AC.         Alonso

Gilmour

Kova.                       Mount 

Willian.                Tammy.                Pulisic 

Subs: Willy, Zouma, Tomori, Emerson, Kante (reckon he is behind if not he starts), Barkley, RLC, Pedro, CHO, Giroud, Batsh*t 

(I read there will be 11 subs on the bench?). 

Two clean sheets last two games were with Azpi, Rudiger, Zouma and Alonso. No chance Frank is changing anything there. 9 subs apparently. Where is Azpi? 

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Two clean sheets last two games were with Azpi, Rudiger, Zouma and Alonso. No chance Frank is changing anything there. 9 subs apparently. Where is Azpi? 

Yeah, I realised I missed him off when I posted. Personally, I would have him on the bench but I reckon he will start. As for the CB pairing. I wouldn't be so sure, Everton's lack of goals was due to some poor finishing, Zouma in particular was all over the shop in that game. 

20 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yeah, I realised I missed him off when I posted. Personally, I would have him on the bench but I reckon he will start. As for the CB pairing. I wouldn't be so sure, Everton's lack of goals was due to some poor finishing, Zouma in particular was all over the shop in that game. 

That's a little harsh, Everton only really had 1 chance all be it from a Zouma error.

I'm far from a cheerleader for Kurt infact i didn't even want him back in the squad however there's only two CB partnership's out of our possible combo's that have been convincing this season and they are Tomori and Zouma (during our run in October) and now Zouma and Rudi, for some reason Rudi and Tomori look hopeless as a partnership although admittedly small sample size. AC is decent with Rudi and Tomori but him and Zouma? Oh my life.

Two writers have an argument about Chelsea’s starting XI

https://theathletic.com/1875471/2020/06/17/chelsea-villa-manchester-city-lampard-kovacic-willian-gilmour-abraham/

chelsea-villa-man-city-lampard-kovacic-willian-gilmour-abraham.jpg

Frank Lampard has had to wait a long time but finally has a fully-fit Chelsea squad to choose from. Clearly, it is a blessing to have so many players available. However, it also means he’s now got a lot of difficult decisions to make.

Chelsea have to find their form fast in Sunday’s opening game at Aston Villa and then four days later at home to Manchester City to ensure their top-four place doesn’t come under threat from the outset.

Picking the right XI and formation won’t be easy, so The Athletic’s Chelsea correspondents Simon Johnson and Liam Twomey got together (virtually) to argue talk about it.

Simon: Well, I don’t have any coaching badges but let’s give this a try. Let’s start off with what formation you would use at Villa Park.

Liam: Chelsea have played their best football this season in a 4-3-3. They have defended better and attacked better, even though results haven’t always reflected how well they’ve played. It was the system used against Liverpool and Everton before the shutdown. It gives an opportunity for the midfield, where they have the most options, to be given the right sort of prominence.

Simon: I agree. Chelsea need to go on the attack. Villa are under pressure near the bottom of the table and have had their defensive issues, and Lampard’s side should go for it. They need to get off to a good start. I think they can get a good result.

So, presumably, Kepa Arrizabalaga is starting in both games, right?

Liam: Yes. You need to try to rebuild his confidence and his value — to a point where he either stays as Chelsea’s No 1 or can be sold for a decent fee. The defence in front of him will be trickier.

Simon: OK, so who would you pick against Villa?

Liam: At right-back… this is the first issue. If he is fit, I think Reece James should play because he can provide opportunities from the flank. To have that extra weapon is a big plus, with his crossing ability.

Simon: I like James a lot but Chelsea need their captain, their dependable, seven-out-of-10 guy, Cesar Azpilicueta, in this first game back. The defence lacks leadership as it is, so being without Azpilicueta makes them even weaker in that regard. After a slow start this season, he has responded well to the competition James has provided. Also, the fact James missed a few of the recent warm-up games puts him at a disadvantage physically, so I say take no risks and get off to a solid start.

Liam: You would trust Azpilicueta more in a one-v-one against Jack Grealish, Aston Villa’s biggest threat, but I’m also confident in James’ ability to do that. I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be a GIF doing the rounds on social media of Grealish bouncing off James and disappearing off the screen!

Simon: James is certainly strong, so you can’t rule that out. What about your centre-backs?

Liam: Well, it’s been a problem all season but I’m going with Antonio Rudiger and Kurt Zouma. It’s not been a brilliant combination so far, yet it has the right blend of speed and athleticism if Villa threaten on the deck and will also be strong enough to compete in the air. No partnership fills me with that much confidence, though.

Simon: I’m with you there. That is why we are hearing it’s a position Lampard wants to improve upon. I’m going with Rudiger and Andreas Christensen. Again, it’s not perfect, but Christensen is Chelsea’s best centre-back with the ball at his feet and if they are going to have lots of possession, they need someone who can pass it from deep. Zouma is weak in this department, especially when he plays as the left-sided centre-back, which is where he would be next to Rudiger.

It’s left-back time. Who is keeping the shirt warm for Ben Chilwell?!

Liam: This is where I bring Azpilicueta in. He is solid enough in the position and has had plenty of experience playing it. I’d have Marcos Alonso ready on the bench as one of the five cards to play as substitutes. With James providing an offensive threat on the right, being more conservative on the left won’t kill you.

Simon: I have to disagree here. When Azpilicueta did play at left-back this season, Chelsea were too lopsided. Chelsea weren’t balanced. All their attacks went down the right because Azpilicueta wasn’t as comfortable on that side and would check back onto his right foot all the time. Alonso isn’t the best defensively but no defender has scored more goals in the Premier League than him since he joined the club. I think that’s what you need against Villa. Alonso’s form was picking up before the break, plus he also has a point to prove amid the club’s interest in Chilwell and might want to put himself in the shop window.

Liam: If you’d picked a back three, that would make perfect sense.

Simon: OK. What about the midfield three?

Liam: Jorginho is suspended against Villa, so I’ll go for Billy Gilmour at the base. His displays against Liverpool and Everton show he makes good decisions, plays on the front foot and picks up runners. It sets the right tone for the way Chelsea want to move the ball.

Then I’d have Mateo Kovacic and Mason Mount ahead of him. I’ve picked Kovacic over Ross Barkley because he keeps the ball better and makes better decisions.

Simon: I want to see Gilmour again, too; arguably the most exciting teenager bursting onto the scene in 2019-20. Some might say there is too much hype but he played in two big games (Liverpool and Everton) which were broadcast live on TV and showed he can handle it.

Liam: Not just handle it; he was Man of the Match in both games.

Simon: Yes, exactly, but just for that added reassurance, I’m going to pick the fit-again N’Golo Kante to Gilmour’s right. He doesn’t bring much in the final third but he does so many other things. I’m going to put Mount, like you, to Gilmour’s left. That means no space for Kovacic, which may surprise some.

Liam: I can’t believe you’ve left out Chelsea’s best player this season.

Simon: I don’t agree he has been Chelsea’s best player. While he’s had a better season than last and shown nice touches, he still doesn’t provide enough goals and assists for me. Even Kante has scored more than him. Put it this way, I can’t remember a game where he has been a match-winner, made the difference.

Liam: He might not get goals and assists but he can break the lines, dribble past two or three players and really spring Chelsea on the attack.

I’m sure we will agree on the front three, though. I’m going with Willian, Tammy Abraham and Christian Pulisic.

Simon: Me too.

Liam: Chelsea have really missed Pulisic.

Simon: I agree. That’s why I interviewed his former youth coach earlier in the week. Chelsea fans are understandably talking about the deals for Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner in terms of what they will bring next season, but Pulisic has a lot to offer too.

Liam: He was really good when he had a run in the side for a few months. He was taking some of the load off Abraham as a goal threat. In my line-up, he’d compensate for the more conservative Azpilicueta behind him, plus combine well with Mount on that side. We all know Willian does a nice solid job and makes the players around him perform better.

Simon: There isn’t much of an argument over the wide positions. Pedro has become more of a squad player, while Callum Hudson-Odoi has picked up a minor injury and had distractions off the pitch, so I don’t think he will be ready to start. For me, the only question mark is Abraham v Olivier Giroud, who had a really good run before games were postponed. But I think Chelsea need Abraham’s pace.

Liam: You need him to stretch them and also press them into mistakes.

So, against Aston Villa, my team is: Kepa; James, Rudiger, Zouma, Azpilicueta; Mount, Gilmour, Kovacic; Willian, Abraham, Pulisic.

LT's Chelsea XI vs Aston Villa - Football tactics and formations

Simon: Not too bad, but I reckon this would work: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Christensen, Alonso; Kante, Gilmour, Mount; Willian, Abraham, Pulisic.

Chelsea v Aston Villa - Football tactics and formations

So on to Manchester City’s visit on Thursday, June 25. Going to be a tough one, this, which is why I’m making a change tactically and going 4-2-3-1. I think Chelsea need to be a bit more defensive.

Liam: Isn’t that more attacking? I’m sticking with 4-3-3.

Simon: Well, it depends how you play the 4-2-3-1. I think it can be a secure system with two men sitting in front of the back four, plus the wide men tracking back to help their full-backs and the No 10 pressing Manchester City’s centre-half and midfield. When Chelsea played with a three in November’s reverse fixture, which they lost 2-1, the deeper player (Jorginho) was constantly in danger of getting isolated and outmanoeuvred, as was shown on the two City goals.

Liam: There is a decent argument for going three at the back with wing-backs.

Simon: Yes, that’s a definite possibility, too.

Liam: I know that failed rather spectacularly against Bayern Munich but particularly with the way Manchester City attack — they get you down the wings — that system makes sense. But I’m sticking with 4-3-3, to go to win the game.

Simon: Presumably, Kepa is staying in goal?

Liam: Yes, unless he throws one in against Villa.

Simon: And the same back four?

Liam: Yes. Again, as long as things didn’t go wrong against Aston Villa, then I’d be inclined to go with a bit of continuity. I do genuinely think my back four is the most solid Chelsea have.

Simon: I must admit I’m worried about Chelsea’s left-hand side against Manchester City but I’m not sure about recalling Emerson — he didn’t cover himself in any glory first time around.

Fikayo Tomori’s pace would be useful as the left-sided centre-back, so I’m going to put him in. It’s a bit of a risk because he’s not played much in 2020 but I still remember how he kept Mohamed Salah quiet early on in the season. If he can repeat that form, the defending champions will find life much harder.

As I said earlier, to help, I’m having two midfielders in front. I’m going to go with Kante and Kovacic here. Jorginho should be available after his ban, but I think the speed of Manchester City in terms of their press, as well as the way they attack, will be too much for him. And as much as I like Gilmour, I reckon this is a match for more experienced heads.

With the attacking players able to drop deep, it can quickly turn into a 4-5-1 when City have the ball.

Liam: I’m going to go full Maurizio Sarri by restoring the trio of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic. When Chelsea outplayed Manchester City in the opening half-hour at the Etihad Stadium, it was all down to that midfield three. You had Jorginho and Kovacic playing around tight spaces, then you had Kante’s energy up and down the pitch. It gave City a lot of problems. Chelsea also won this corresponding fixture last season with those three.

Simon: I take your point but it was Jorginho and Kovacic who gave the ball away for both City goals in November and they couldn’t get back properly to cover.

My three ahead of Kovacic and Kante will be Willian, Mount and Pulisic, with Mount in the No 10 role. He showed at Tottenham before Christmas that when he plays close to Abraham, they have a good understanding. I think he can also be a nuisance there in terms of closing players down.

I thought about using Giroud up front again because he gave Virgil van Dijk such a tough game in the FA Cup but Abraham’s speed wins the day.

Liam: I have a quandary on the left because I’ve left Mount out of my midfield. I’m going to play him in attack on the left instead, so he can combine with Abraham from there. I want the left to be as strong as possible defensively because that’s where Manchester City do the most damage. I think I’ve done that with Azpilicueta, Kovacic and Mount on that flank.

Simon: So we’ve left out people like Barkley, Pedro and Ruben Loftus-Cheek from both line-ups. We better explain why!

It sounds like Loftus-Cheek has been doing well in the warm-up games but after 13 months without a competitive match, I still think he should be treated with some caution, getting minutes off the bench rather than coming straight into the first XI. He will definitely challenge for a start the more he features.

Liam: Pedro has had good moments but looks beyond his peak; Hudson-Odoi has the skill to make an impact off the bench but hasn’t had the rhythm of top form for a while; as for Barkley, I think there are others who can do what he does best as well as him, if not better. There is nothing he does that makes him indispensable.

Simon: I’m sure all four will be very useful in the schedule ahead.

So my line-up for Manchester City is: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Tomori, Alonso; Kante, Kovacic; Willian, Mount, Pulisic; Abraham.

Chelsea v Manchester City - Football tactics and formations

Liam: And mine is: Kepa; James, Rudiger, Zouma, Azpilicueta; Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic; Willian, Abraham, Mount.

LT's Chelsea XI vs Man City - Football tactics and formations

Simon: Now let’s see if Frank Lampard agrees with us!

40 minutes ago, Strike said:

Who are the alternatives in attack if Pedro and Willian leave at the end of the month? 

Mount, Pulisic and CHO + Broja, Anjorin?

If both pedro + willian are leaving in July, we are screwed. 

Pulisic - Tammy - CHO up top. I am very2 concerned 

57 minutes ago, Strike said:

Who are the alternatives in attack if Pedro and Willian leave at the end of the month? 

Mount, Pulisic and CHO + Broja, Anjorin?

Mount sucks at winger

Broja is a CF

Anjorin is an AMF/CMF

RLC sucks at winger

so if both Willian and Pedro (Pedro is gone, and will not even play for us again past June, and I doubt even in the next 12 days) leave

we have only 3 wingers (and 2 IF Ziyech has to play AMF)

it is why I want Havertz so bad, as he can play winger if need be, as well as AMF, No 10, CF, SS, and CMF

He, like Ziyech, is left footed (Havertz is actually close to being ambipedal), so those 2 on the pitch create nightmares match-up wise, as they can both play a more central AMF and then also slide out wide and cut back in for whipped shots and crosses

I do not buy into the whole 'CHO and Pulisic are better at RW than at LW' framing that so many try and claim. CHO maybe better at crossing from the RW, but overall, nope.

Remove Havertz and Willian (obviously Pedro too) and I think we may have to still grab a winger, but which one to buy is so up in the air.

Sancho is obviously not happening, even if we say no money spent at all on the following:

NO money spent on a CB,

NO money spent, only swap for a LB (say Emerson for Alex Sandro or maybe Kurzawa on a free)

NO money spent on a DMF or CMF

and 5 or 10m quid max on a backup keeper

Juve will never give us fair value for Jorginho I fear

the club is paralysed at selling Kante

we are going to have an immensely hard time selling the INSANE amount of dregs we have

and Sancho will not go (even in this market) for under £120-130m, I just do not see it

and we will not drop 130m whilst leaving all (or most) of those other things unsettled

that is 40m MORE than Havertz would go for

that is (the difference in price) close to buying

Alaba or Thomas Partey or Theo Hernandez  or Gabriel, etc etc outright,

and far more than it should or will cost to buy Telles or Tags or any of our GK targets (save for a stupid buy of Onana)

perhaps we make a run at Samuel Chukwueze (left footer too) for RW

or Saïd Benrahma (soon 25yo and almost zero topflight experience as well), but he is a right footed LWer as is Jérémie Boga

4 minutes ago, communicate said:

If both pedro + willian are leaving in July, we are screwed. 

Pulisic - Tammy - CHO up top. I am very2 concerned 

I have been saying this for a year, when I looked ahead to contracts

the board surely must have contingency plans, even with COVID

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

Actually,Broja has played as a winger couple of times and scored goals. He could play as a winger

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

oki, well there is that then, but I still see him as more of a target type CF (granted I am not at all an expert on him)

at least he has played at winger a bit

oki, well there is that then, but I still see him as more of a target type CF (granted I am not at all an expert on him)
at least he has played at winger a bit
He can easily play the role Anelka played for us under Carlo Ancelotti.
Broja himself does not really care if he plays on the wing or as a CF. He sometimes shifts to the left side, sometimes to the right and sometimes he positions himself as a classic Cf.
His dribbling and pace makes it also easier to play the winger role

1 hour ago, Strike said:

@Vesper Ziyech cannot play this season so in July we have only CHO and Puli as genuine wing options with Mount able to play on the left. 

Hmmm, think that explains the lineup against QPR last week. Mount looked to be playing RW and Ruben CM. 

27 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Do you have Highlights?

No just judging the starting XI from all the photos. It looked like they were playing a midfield of Ruben/Kovacic/Gilmour and Mount + Willian on the wings.