• Jorginho
    • Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Barkley
    • Giroud
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

36 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

lol, the Lampard hate amazes me. We are still ahead of what anyone predicted going into preseason.

Ahead of what exactly now? If results go against us this weekend, we will drop to 7th. Then what? We saw good things earlier this season but ever since the November international break, our results and performances have become worse and there doesn't seem to be any improvement or indication that we will turn things around. We get one good result and it's followed by two bad ones. The negatives are far outweighing the positives. The defensive problems from earlier this season are still there, we look no more organized than we were before. Injuries to important players are piling up and it's the same kind of injury. Lampard continuously makes questionable decisions - notably his team selection - in every game. Our attacking play of late at times has amounted to nothing more than giving the ball to James to cross into the box and hope someone converts it. It's like being taken back to 2013-2015 and seeing Ivanovic putting endless crosses in. If we are beating the smaller teams but losing to the bigger teams, then we might well still be fine for the season. But we aren't and we are losing to all sorts of teams now, rather easily too! If our form continues to spiral out of control, we may find ourselves behind even the likes of Everton, Burnley, Southampton, Arsenal before we know it and 3 of them were near the relegation zone not too long ago! Furthermore, if our form continues to go south and we finish say 7th or 8th (after being so far ahead of the chasing pack in 4th last November!), how then are we going to sign quality players and convince them that we are moving in the right direction? And if we don't qualify for the Champions League next season, we're gonna suffer a huge financial loss and that means, less transfer budget to sign quality players!

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ahead of what exactly now? If results go against us this weekend, we will drop to 7th. Then what? We saw good things earlier this season but ever since the November international break, our results and performances have become worse and there doesn't seem to be any improvement or indication that we will turn things around. We get one good result and it's followed by two bad ones. The negatives are far outweighing the positives. The defensive problems from earlier this season are still there, we look no more organized than we were before. Injuries to important players are piling up and it's the same kind of injury. Lampard continuously makes questionable decisions - notably his team selection - in every game. Our attacking play of late at times has amounted to nothing more than giving the ball to James to cross into the box and hope someone converts it. It's like being taken back to 2013-2015 and seeing Ivanovic putting endless crosses in. If we are beating the smaller teams but losing to the bigger teams, then we might well still be fine for the season. But we aren't and we are losing to all sorts of teams now, rather easily too! If our form continues to spiral out of control, we may find ourselves behind even the likes of Everton, Burnley, Southampton, Arsenal before we know it and 3 of them were near the relegation zone not too long ago! Furthermore, if our form continues to go south and we finish say 7th or 8th (after being so far ahead of the chasing pack in 4th last November!), how then are we going to sign quality players and convince them that we are moving in the right direction? And if we don't qualify for the Champions League next season, we're gonna suffer a huge financial loss and that means, less transfer budget to sign quality players!

Did you really expect 4th or better at the beginning of the season? I don't remember that. Lampard took over a team on a two transfer window ban that other more proven managers didnt want. It has been a growing season for both the players and for him. If we could have hired a more experienced manager, it would have happened. He is still fielding a team of largely academy players. If at the beginning of the season we said this is a year for the young players to get experience and he will be judged when he has a full team next year, then that is what it should be.

Not sure why people are in a panic about 4th place? that was not expected at the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Did you really expect 4th or better at the beginning of the season? I don't remember that. Lampard took over a team on a two transfer window ban that other more proven managers didnt want. It has been a growing season for both the players and for him. If we could have hired a more experienced manager, it would have happened. He is still fielding a team of largely academy players. If at the beginning of the season we said this is a year for the young players to get experience and he will be judged when he has a full team next year, then that is what it should be.

Not sure why people are in a panic about 4th place? that was not expected at the start of the season.

Fielding a team of LARGELY academy players? LARGELY? Do people just like to generalize things without checking the facts? Only James, Tomori, Mount and Abraham don't have the experience of playing at the highest level (if we're talking the Premier League, then you can throw Pulisic in there as well). Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger, Christensen, Alonso, Emerson, Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Batshuayi etc are all experienced, they have played in the Premier League and have played top flight football for years now. So how exactly is Lampard fielding a team of LARGELY academy players? 

Even if we don't get Top 4 this season, the least we should be seeing is progression, improvement. We had that earlier in the season but since November, we have been on a downward spiral and look incapable of turning things around. If we don't qualify for the Champions League, we continue to pick up poor results and drop down the table? Then what? What exactly do we have to build on for next season? How are we supposed to get top quality players and challenge for the big trophies if we become a proper mediocre side?!

Again, What did you expect at the beginning of the season? Fielding a team is who is on the pitch. Many of our games have been these young players. I agree there should be progress. The first part of the season we were getting better results than we expected. The two transfer ban hurt the team. Letting Hazard leave hurt the team. Is that Lampard's fault? I know people want to blame injuries on Lampard's training, but is that realistic?

35 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Again, What did you expect at the beginning of the season? Fielding a team is who is on the pitch. Many of our games have been these young players. I agree there should be progress. The first part of the season we were getting better results than we expected. The two transfer ban hurt the team. Letting Hazard leave hurt the team. Is that Lampard's fault? I know people want to blame injuries on Lampard's training, but is that realistic?

What did I expect? I expect to see at least progression, improvement. I expect to see good coaching being shown, good decisions being made. But all of those have gone of the window since November. Why? Why have we looked so bad and incapable of producing good, consistent performances, even just for 2-3 consecutive games? Sure the transfer ban last summer did not help but isn't it too convenient that excuse is being constantly used now? When we were doing well earlier this season, people said the ban was the best thing that's happened to us and that Hazard leaving has made us play better as a team. But now we're in a bad form, suddenly the transfer ban and Hazard leaving excuses are being thrown about. :doh: 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

What did I expect? I expect to see at least progression, improvement. I expect to see good coaching being shown, good decisions being made. But all of those have gone of the window since November. Why? Why have we looked so bad and incapable of producing good, consistent performances, event just for 2-3 consecutive games? Sure the transfer ban last summer did not help but isn't it too convenient that excuse is being constantly used now? When we were doing well earlier this season, people said the ban was the best thing that's happened to us and that Hazard leaving has made us play better as a team. But now we're in a bad form, suddenly the transfer ban and Hazard leaving excuses are being thrown about. :doh: 

I never bought the idea that the ban or Hazard was a good thing? They are not excuses, they are reality.

1 minute ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I never bought the idea that the ban or Hazard was a good thing? They are not excuses, they are reality.

But they become excuses when people conveniently mention them based on the situation.

And even with the transfer ban, we weren't stripped down to the bare bones. There are still good players in the team to produce good results and good performances! The transfer ban is no excuse for Lampard's incapability of making us organized defensively at the very least or his continuous questionable decision making. 

Can we expect at least Tammy to be ready for this one?

Kante is out for a month I think? And what about Hudson Odoi and Pulisic?

Kepa

James Ruediger Tomori Azpi

Kovacic Mount Jorginho

Abraham CHO I hope and Willian or Pedro doesn't matter they are both shit 

I think he should be using Giroud a lot more. I am in the camp that he took over a team that is missing parts. It is not fair to judge him using the top 4 as a test of his abilities. I do agree we should be seeing progress. Another excuse if you will. Kepa really screwed up the trajectory of this team. 

8 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I think he should be using Giroud a lot more. I am in the camp that he took over a team that is missing parts. It is not fair to judge him using the top 4 as a test of his abilities. I do agree we should be seeing progress. Another excuse if you will. Kepa really screwed up the trajectory of this team. 

Kepa has been a problem but there are far bigger issues than him that have cost us this season...

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Agree regarding Giroud for definite and to an extent the top 4 at the start of the season for an inexperienced manager seemed a stretch compared to the other teams but he had us there and comfortably in a position to get it for sure but through poor results and more importantly regressing performances weve fucked that lead beyond belief. Which he should be held accountable for 100% because he has made huge judgement calls on the squad, as well as selection and tactical things that havent helped at all. He can't hide or be sheltered from critcism or scrutiny because nobody thought we would get top 4 before a ball eas kicked because one as questionable as it was a more experienced proven coach could definitely do it in my opinion, secondly that was always going to be something the club expects regardless of manager in this day and age and he knows that from his playing days here and lastly because we were there, like 12 points clear of most teams we are now locked in this tight battle with.

Disagree regarding Kepa. As Ive mentioned in his thread I still have a lot of faith in the guy and he will come through this spell.

I think he should be accountable, I just think people are in full panic right now. We have a really light schedule ending the year. Some of those in the chase for 4 with us have more challenging teams to end the season. There is no need to panic now. He coaches his way through the end of the year and does an acceptable job or he doesn't. 

2 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

That was then this is now, back then we didnt expect Poch to get fired, didnt expect all our rivals to go ape shit with their performances. Its a disgrace if we bottle this now, we have been in top4 all season but repeated mistakes and inability to organize the shape has cost us big time, we have seen no progress whatsoever since oktober. I for one will be fuming if we finish lower than the utter tosh behind us. Lamps will forver be in our hearts, a proper baller.......but this job came too soon, its too big of challenge for someone with 1 year of managing teams.  

15 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Back to the match. I find this interesting.

Probabilities via Google: Chelsea win 56%,  Draw 24%,  Tottenham win 20%

Don't screw it up Frank, or Jason will show up at your door!

Ha ha, how funny! You guys can keep pretending everything is fine, Lampard is faultless and all that but if our form continues to go south and Lampard shows no sign of turning our fortunes around, then don’t be surprised if the board decide to pull the trigger come end of the season.