Team of the Decade

Jase

Even though their time was more the 00s I can understand Drogba, Lampard and Cole being in it due to Munich and the tail end of the double season however Essien being in it is outrageous.

He was awful whenever he played this decade, had no part of the 10s side of the double season and wasn't a big player in the CL win or any trophy won for that matter. Bosingwa and Morata have a bigger claim to be in it than he does.

One of the most laziest votes of all time, I'd love to come across the people who plumped for him and ask them to actually explain themselves.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Even though their time was more the 00s I can understand Drogba, Lampard and Cole being in it due to Munich and the tail end of the double season however Essien being in it is outrageous.

But Cole's impact after 2009/10 was minimal. At least Lampard and Drogba still contributed to more decisive moments. If the reason to put Cole in was because of Munich, then Bosingwa should have been in there as well.

Not to be tendentious

but tonight is NOT the end of the decade

exact one year from now is

there was no year zero

so the last year is 2020

not 2019

just like the millennium ended on December 31, 2000, NOT December 31, 1999

do the maths

1 AD, 2, AD, 3 AD, etc up to 10AD (ie the TENTH year of the first decade of the first Millennium AD)

so when 10 AD ended on December 31st 10 AD, it was 10 years old

same for  December 31, 2000 (ending of 2000 years)

December 31, 2010 (which ended the noughties)

and December 31, 2020, which will end this decade

biggest con in the world (after religion in general) was Dec  31, 1999 ending the millennium

#maths 

18 hours ago, Jason said:

"Interesting" team...think a lot of people who voted don't understand the meaning of 'decade'!

Cech is obvious. Only competition is tibo (average) and kepa (lol).

Jt - 4 good years. A season where he played 38 games and won the PL. 

Gc - no doubt.

Iva - 5 great years. He was in his prime. Before that horrendous downfall.

Cole - hmmm. This can be classified as "interesting". But also, who else? Bertrand? Luis? Emerson? Alonso? Baba Rahman? I personally would have gone for azpi. But you can see why people would go for him. Another "3 solid years" argument.

Kante - no doubt.

Lamps is obvious. 3 good years out of him this decade. Just shows the lack of quality in that area we have had for the majority of this decade.

Essien - this I do massive disagree. Matic or Ramires should have a better claim. Or maybe mata (4-2-3-1). Another 3 good year argument.

Hazard - no doubt

Drogba was still our best striker this decade. His only competition is Costa. So it's 2 PL vs 1 PL (09/10) and cl. Would still take DD. 

Willian - as much as people love to hate him, he has been one of our standout players this decade. If there is a discussion for RW Chelsea position for the decade, it HAS to go to willian.

So honestly I can see and do agree with the people who voted for this team, except for essien. I can't see any reasoning there.

Sorry you just have to have Dave there. His inconsistency is second to none. I honestly thought there wasn't a player alive that could take him one on one, similar to AWB now. 

Matter of fact I'd have him there ahead of Ashley Cole who'd I'd argue his prime for us was 07-11

Cech

Ivanovic---Cahill---Terry---Azpilicueta

Cesc

Kante-----------Lampard

Hazard

Costa-------Drogba

The real team of the decade:

Courtois; Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Cahill, Ivanovic; Kanté, Ramires, Fabregas; Hazard, Costa, William.

This is the team of the decade. It doest make any sense to include Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Cech and Cole in a list about the team of this decade.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

Sorry you just have to have Dave there. His inconsistency is second to none. I honestly thought there wasn't a player alive that could take him one on one, similar to AWB now. 

Matter of fact I'd have him there ahead of Ashley Cole who'd I'd argue his prime for us was 07-11

Cech

Cesc

Kante-----------Lampard

Hazard

Costa-------Drogba

Don't you mean consistency? 

Based on how this team of the decade has been done, then the second half of the 2009/10 season is included in the last decade and with that in mind it only strengthens the case of Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba in a team.

Cech, Cole and Lampard were all key in Champions League and Europa League wins after that double season, and Drogba almost is in by default from his contributions when we won the Champions League. Terry went on and was a key player in another title winning season.

I struggle to put Azpi in at left back when he only played there regularly for 2-3 seasons, so less time than Cole during the decade. Azpi should probably be in but actually where do you include him when he's been shuffled around every position in the defence.

I love Essien. He's one of my favourite all time players and in his prime I'd have him in any team over both Kante and Makelele. But he was never the same player from 2009/10 forward. Any of Mikel, Ramires, Fabregas and Matic all deserve to be in ahead of Essien.

On 01/01/2020 at 4:44 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

Cech

Cesc

Kante-----------Lampard

Hazard

Costa-------Drogba

Yup, fully agree with this one. Was about to post the same till I saw yours. :P  Insane team.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

Cech

Cesc

Kante-----------Lampard

Hazard

Costa-------Drogba

stuffing Azpi in at LB for TEAM OF THE DECADE is insanity on parade

he is HORRID at LB

whist I disagree with the boundaries of when the 'decade' started (it still is NOT over, as it did not start until January 1, 2011, not 2010, as there was no year zero, so decades begin with year 1 AD, 11 AD, 21 AD, etc) I will confine it to seasons ending in 2010 to ending in 2019 (that is 10 seasons)

5 of Ashley Cole's 8 season with us are thus in this all-'decade' team's purview

Cole was the best LB in the world for years

some of it in this decade in question

therefore he goes in the team

Azpi is and was pure dregs as a LB

Branislav Ivanovic played a lot at CB for us, it is not artificial to put him at CB

I rate him over Cahill and see no reason to omit him at all

so it is simple then to have an 'all-decade' back 4 of

CB Terry

CB Ivanovic

LB Cole

RB Azpi

46 minutes ago, Vesper said:

stuffing Azpi in at LB for TEAM OF THE DECADE is insanity on parade

he is HORRID at LB

whist I disagree with the boundaries of when the 'decade' started (it still is NOT over, as it did not start until January 1, 2011, not 2010, as there was no year zero, so decades begin with year 1 AD, 11 AD, 21 AD, etc) I will confine it to seasons ending in 2010 to ending in 2019 (that is 10 seasons)

5 of Ashley Cole's 8 season with us are thus in this all-'decade' team's purview

Cole was the best LB in the world for years

some of it in this decade in question

therefore he goes in the team

Azpi is and was pure dregs as a LB

Branislav Ivanovic played a lot at CB for us, it is not artificial to put him at CB

I rate him over Cahill and see no reason to omit him at all

so it is simple then to have an 'all-decade' back 4 of

CB Terry

CB Ivanovic

LB Cole

RB Azpi

It's just a team on paper, no need to read too much into the actual position. And I think you're bothering too much with Azpi's recent showings at LB. His best work, his most consistent years - especially defensively - came when he was playing at LB from 2013 to 2016, before being moved to CB in Conte's system. He rarely played at RB (before Sarri & Lampard). It's similar to Ivanovic as well on the other side. He could play as a CB but his best work came at RB and I seem to remember he was less reliable at CB than he was at RB. As for Cole, his impact after 2009/10 was minimal at best. Sure, there was the Champions League win and all but he certainly was no longer a strong force then than the years before, and of course, he got replaced by Azpi.

It's just a team on paper, no need to read too much into the actual position. And I think you're bothering too much with Azpi's recent showings at LB. His best work, his most consistent years - especially defensively - came when he was playing at LB from 2013 to 2016, before being moved to CB in Conte's system. He rarely played at RB (before Sarri & Lampard). It's similar to Ivanovic as well on the other side. He could play as a CB but his best work came at RB and I seem to remember he was less reliable at CB than he was at RB. As for Cole, his impact after 2009/10 was minimal at best. Sure, there was the Champions League win and all but he certainly was no longer a strong force then than the years before, and of course, he got replaced by Azpi.

I have to agree. Iva was not that reliable as a CB. He was always good but he always had a bad Moment in almost every match as CB. As a rb, he was solid.

Azpi was the best 1 vs 1 Defender I have seen at Chelsea. Fan since 2009.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk