• Willian
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • James (sub)
    • Mount (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

18 hours ago, Jason said:

cc @Tomo

He is right though. Defensively, we are quite open in transition and against between the line player. Last game was better, kova and Kante are athletic enough to cover ground. What really helped us so far is Zouma and Tomori ability against one on one. They are fantastic. 

Set pieces wise, it is simple with Alonso we are decent, without Alonso it is just awful. We didn't concede many set pieces against Palace, but they look like they are going to score everytime they did. 

2 hours ago, communicate said:

Set pieces wise, it is simple with Alonso we are decent, without Alonso it is just awful. We didn't concede many set pieces against Palace, but they look like they are going to score everytime they did. 

Okay, that seems like an exaggeration for Alonso. Maybe my memory has failed me but I don't recall Palace looking dangerous from set pieces. In fact, we didn't even give away a single corner in that game. And heck, we even won more aerial challenges than Palace did!

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Okay, that seems like an exaggeration for Alonso. Maybe my memory has failed me but I don't recall Palace looking dangerous from set pieces. In fact, we didn't even give away a single corner in that game. And heck, we even won more aerial challenges than Palace did!

They are trying to gaslight 

Alonso offers fuckall overall, and he has burnt like toast in the air so many times

Not just on set pieces either.

He is a systemic weak point on the squad.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:15 AM, Jason said:

Alonso has played 13 games out of 19 this season and although not all the goals conceded from set pieces are necessarily his fault, the stats don't look great when he's playing compared to when he's not playing.

In the 13 games he played, we conceded 9 goals from those situations (5 free kicks/corners; 3 direct free kicks and 1 penalty) - and if you remember, he made our issues in this situation worse in that home game against Ajax.

In the 6 games he didn't play, we conceded only 3 goals (1 corner, 2 penalties).

I didn't watch our game against Ajax, I also did not watch our game vs Watford. But against Palace. We controlled the game very2 well concede almost nothing but any set pieces worry me. Other than Tammy and zouma, our player simply can't win header.

No Bernardo Silva for City. Banned for one game and fined 50k for the whole Mendy incident. Not sure what to make of the incident and not aware of the whole story behind the Conguitos character either. 

be a tough match anyway they have got excellent squad depth and attacking players.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Jason said:

Alonso has played 13 games out of 19 this season and although not all the goals conceded from set pieces are necessarily his fault, the stats don't look great when he's playing compared to when he's not playing.

In the 13 games he played, we conceded 9 goals from those situations (5 free kicks/corners; 3 direct free kicks and 1 penalty) - and if you remember, he made our issues in this situation worse in that home game against Ajax.

In the 6 games he didn't play, we conceded only 3 goals (1 corner, 2 penalties).

We are just awful at defending set pieces. Regardless of who plays. It would be like saying Kepa has played every game this season and the stats for lack of clean sheets doesnt look good... when in reality our defending set pieces has been a huge weakness of ours and it wouldnt matter if we had 11 Terry's or 11 Drogba's, if the set ups poor we would still concede. The set play set up is more coaching than anything because there's no way we have made say 5 or 6 individual errors at the set plays weve conceded and even the ones that we havent conceded from. Even more so when you look at the fact that we have used zonal more often than not.

Yes Alonso gave away a penalty v United and whatever but in terms of defending set plays people going after Alonso who is up there with Rudiger and Zouma as probably one of our strongest players in the air, seems a bit moronic. Alonso has been a opinion divider since his 2nd season here but honestly I dont think he has really let us down this season in comparison to his performances last season. 

(Apologies for the 2 posts in a row didnt notice the previous discussions before the last post haha)

47 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

We are just awful at defending set pieces. Regardless of who plays. It would be like saying Kepa has played every game this season and the stats for lack of clean sheets doesnt look good... when in reality our defending set pieces has been a huge weakness of ours and it wouldnt matter if we had 11 Terry's or 11 Drogba's, if the set ups poor we would still concede. The set play set up is more coaching than anything because there's no way we have made say 5 or 6 individual errors at the set plays weve conceded and even the ones that we havent conceded from. Even more so when you look at the fact that we have used zonal more often than not.

Yes Alonso gave away a penalty v United and whatever but in terms of defending set plays people going after Alonso who is up there with Rudiger and Zouma as probably one of our strongest players in the air, seems a bit moronic. Alonso has been a opinion divider since his 2nd season here but honestly I dont think he has really let us down this season in comparison to his performances last season. 

(Apologies for the 2 posts in a row didnt notice the previous discussions before the last post haha)

It's simply a reply to the notion that we defend set pieces better with Alonso in the XI when the stats don't suggest that. The set up, as you alluded to, is more of the issue rather than the personnel. 

Its def the setup.......but Alonso sure as hell doesnt add goodies on that.

It will be a tough tough game. We cant go gung ho on them. Set back and be devastating when we break. I would game kante Jorgo and Kova at the same time. We can hurt them.

But I so so fear the fa will do their best not to upset Pep, not after what happened vs pool. You can bet money we will be vs 14 and not 11.

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

No Bernardo Silva for City. Banned for one game and fined 50k for the whole Mendy incident. 

Shame that twat Oliver didn't gave fifth yellow card to Sterling. They would be without both starting wingers :rant:

Lol Alonso improving us on defending set pieces really cracked me up... He actually provokes those set pieces by committing stupid fouls in and around the area as evident in almost every game he plays. That is why Lamps dropped him as soon as Emerson was fit again. Mind Emerson is not exactly a world class player himself. Still Lamps even took out Alonso at HT vs Ajax because he was so useless and committed stupid errors that led to goals. It is not even that Alonso is a bad footballer. When you see him in training it is obvious how much times he has dedicated to improving his technique and given time and space he can be quite skillful. But mentally and physically he is not made for the Premier League. Italy would probably suit him best. I feel he has not learned anythign in terms of game intelligence, regressed rather and his pace has obviously not got better either. 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:21 PM, killer1257 said:

Losing against Pool is not a drama. Once we lost in Penalty shootout and one other time we lost due to stupid free Kicks.

One Match we lost was against United in the first match of the season.
Then we lost against United in Caraboa cup where there should have been VAR and we played with a lot of young players like Billy G and Guehi.

We won in Amsterdam 1:0 and drew them home, which both are brilliant results.

And don't forget, we still have injuries or had a lot of injuries

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

the only two losses that make me smash my head (in other words games we should have won and actually lost, not drew, and against worse teams) are the 4 nil pasting at OT, and then that bloody Valencia CL game at the Bridge

in terms of pure frustration, the Super Cup and blowing the 2 goal lead at home v Sheff U (drawing with them would not have been so bad if we had fought back or only had a one goal lead, as they have turned out (amazingly so far) to be a solid EPL team) were the 2 worst for me once the games started

finally I would add (weirdest game in years) that Ajax game WAS frustrating as we did not end up winning after we got them down to 9 men, but just coming back to draw was crazy

fucking Manure is becoming our bogey team yet again, so frustrating as they are shit atm (Martial coming back has saved their arse lately, they really are fucked without him)

On 11/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Magic Lamps said:

Lol Alonso improving us on defending set pieces really cracked me up... He actually provokes those set pieces by committing stupid fouls in and around the area as evident in almost every game he plays. That is why Lamps dropped him as soon as Emerson was fit again. Mind Emerson is not exactly a world class player himself. Still Lamps even took out Alonso at HT vs Ajax because he was so useless and committed stupid errors that led to goals. It is not even that Alonso is a bad footballer. When you see him in training it is obvious how much times he has dedicated to improving his technique and given time and space he can be quite skillful. But mentally and physically he is not made for the Premier League. Italy would probably suit him best. I feel he has not learned anythign in terms of game intelligence, regressed rather and his pace has obviously not got better either. 

so much this!!!

my dog do we need Chilwell (and yes, he is not tall like Alonso, but is streets ahead in most every other department)

Our lack of being able to deal with set pieces or high balls is down to a) Kepa and b ) neither Zouma nor Tomori are CB's that are able to organise the defensive line.

For me, Kepa is the real issue as our problems with this directly correlate with his arrival. Now people can argue about coaching but I find it hard to believe that two coaching teams have failed to recognise that Kepa stays on his line and does not controll his box (and particualrly his six yard area.) This for me is a massive issue and something that TC never got credit for because if you do this as a keeper you stop a lot of attacks early, which means it goes unnoticed. Whether Kepa can actually improve on this is up for question as I believe that a big reason for it is because he is only 6"1'. The only reason in my book he has not got more flak is because he is very agile and a good shot stopper which means he pulls off some great showreel saves which everyone remembers.

To further compound Kepa's weakness is that of all our CB's Rudi is the only one that can organise the back line and he has been injured all season. I know a lot of people are fans of Tomori and Zouma but the problem with those two are that both are what I class a CB2/covering defenders (think Riccy C/Gallas) and not CB1's like JT and Cahill who can marshall the defense. Therefore, until Rudi is back I do not see any improvement as AC also does not seem like a player that can organise, which consequently means we are defending as individuals and not as a team. This is also why I think Zouma will lose his place and possibly be sold as we have three CB's who are CB2's and only one injury prone CB1 (although AC could end up being sold instead.) 

Either way, until Kepa learns to controll his box (or is replaced) and Rudi returns I do not see how we improve defending set pieces/balls into the box as the tactics seem ok as we are not actually conceeding that many chances but rather we are conceeding too many in relation to the chances that are created.

On 15/11/2019 at 11:14 PM, Magic Lamps said:

Lol Alonso improving us on defending set pieces really cracked me up...

Exactly, people are acting like height is the issue here but if you look at our goals conceded after set pieces non come because of that.