Gaming discussion #2

LAM09

I invested a lot of hours in the first two games on the original Gameboy, especially Pokemon Silver which I still think holds up as the best I've played of the series.

Totally agree with you on this. Seemed to tick so many boxes, especially post game content (another 8 badges, Red, etc).

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

Totally agree with you on this. Seemed to tick so many boxes, especially post game content (another 8 badges, Red, etc).

Yeah. The first gen was really good being the first and is a real classic but I felt the second gen nailed it.

I can always remember going on holiday to see my Granddad in Germany and it was boring as hell so I just rinsed Pokemon Blue at the time. I levelled my Blastoise up to level 100 and was proud as punch. Came home and my best mate had discovered the rare candy glitch to cheat his way ahead of me. That was hard to stomach!

Yeah. The first gen was really good being the first and is a real classic but I felt the second gen nailed it. I can always remember going on holiday to see my Granddad in Germany and it was boring as hell so I just rinsed Pokemon Blue at the time. I levelled my Blastoise up to level 100 and was proud as punch. Came home and my best mate had discovered the rare candy glitch to cheat his way ahead of me. That was hard to stomach!

Almost the same story as mine. Going to see Grandparents and got my Blastoise to 100 with Alakazam and one other. 

First gen was all about MissingNo [emoji1]

30 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

First gen was all about MissingNo emoji1.png

wicked London beatz from 6 years back :wub:

MSSINGNO - EP (FULL)

Label:
Goon Club Allstars ‎– GCA 002, Goon Club Allstars ‎– GOON CLUB ALLSTARS 002
Format:
Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, EP
UK
Released:
18 Nov 2013
Genre:
Electronic, Hip Hop
Style:
Grime, Trap

R-5107266-1386406496-3770.jpeg.jpgR-5107266-1429700302-3097.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Is there isn't a number of Pokemon that either can't be transferred or aren't available (Dex related) in Shield/Sword at all?

So much going on that would probably annoy me as someone that's been around from Gen 1.

Yeah, currently we can only use/play mons available in the game. But 200+ mons from past generations will be made available soon in it. 

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I invested a lot of hours in the first two games on the original Gameboy, especially Pokemon Silver which I still think holds up as the best I've played of the series.

My daughter got one of the new Pokemon games for Xmas (think it was Sword) - you recommend it then? I might have a little go on it myself after the tax return deadline is done and dusted on Friday and I'm not working every hour under the sun (and moon).

I might be biased but yes. :lol: The game doesn't take long to complete. It's only towards the end and a post-game story that it's a bit long. 

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think I may invest in the Zelda game (Breath of the Wild?) otherwise, it looks really good and has great reviews. It just looks like a game that will demand some significant investment in.

Oh yes! Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a MUST have for every Switch user! It is one of the best games EVER. There are lots to do, explore and enjoy in the game. The graphics and gameplay are so fantastic. I played at least every 3-4 hours per day and it took me about 2-3 weeks to finish the game. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh yes! Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a MUST have for every Switch user! It is one of the best games EVER. There are lots to do, explore and enjoy in the game. The graphics and gameplay are so fantastic. I played at least every 3-4 hours per day and it took me about 2-3 weeks to finish the game. 

The 3D Zelda games are good, especially from the Gamecube era and onwards. Wasnt a fan of the 2D ones on SNES. Metroid series on Switch are worth it too.

10 hours ago, Atomiswave said:

The 3D Zelda games are good, especially from the Gamecube era and onwards. Wasnt a fan of the 2D ones on SNES. Metroid series on Switch are worth it too.

I loved Zelda link to the past on the SNES but I guess that's the era I grew up in. My first ever console was the NES and I still love a lot of the games (although some really show their age now).

I have a handheld console that's got all the old console games and old arcade (MAME) games loaded on it through to PS1 and Dreamcast. 

It's bloody hard mind getting my kids to like some of them with the graphics they have compared to those today, unless it's something that they can relate to nowadays like Mario.

If anyone likes retro games, I highly recommend Bucky O Hare on the NES. It was my favourite cartoon growing up so it could have been shit and I probably would have loved it, but in my opinion it's one of the better platformers of its time that didn't get any real credit it should have and the ability to use different characters with different abilities was quite a novel thing back then.

13 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I loved Zelda link to the past on the SNES but I guess that's the era I grew up in. My first ever console was the NES and I still love a lot of the games (although some really show their age now).

I have a handheld console that's got all the old console games and old arcade (MAME) games loaded on it through to PS1 and Dreamcast. 

It's bloody hard mind getting my kids to like some of them with the graphics they have compared to those today, unless it's something that they can relate to nowadays like Mario.

If anyone likes retro games, I highly recommend Bucky O Hare on the NES. It was my favourite cartoon growing up so it could have been shit and I probably would have loved it, but in my opinion it's one of the better platformers of its time that didn't get any real credit it should have and the ability to use different characters with different abilities was quite a novel thing back then.

Snes was quality as was Mega drive, old Zelda are good just not my style. You have dreamcast too? Thats quality man, I still have mine too. Heck I even got my Amiga 500 somewhere lol. Yeah kids dont fly with the retro, where as us  older heads love them. When people were raving on PS1 I would much rather game 2D games. Never understood PS1, just looked crap too me, pixilated mess.

7 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Snes was quality as was Mega drive, old Zelda are good just not my style. You have dreamcast too? Thats quality man, I still have mine too. Heck I even got my Amiga 500 somewhere lol. Yeah kids dont fly with the retro, where as us  older heads love them. When people were raving on PS1 I would much rather game 2D games. Never understood PS1, just looked crap too me, pixilated mess.

Yeah you can pick up these things on the internet, retro pi consoles and in recent times they've managed to move these on to handhelds consoles too, a little like a Nintendo DS. They are the sort of kit worth investing in if you like retro gaming and with the size of the older games it's easy to fit multiple consoles with a full library on to memory cards, etc.

Loved the NES and SNES. I never had a Sega console when I was younger although obviously played the likes of Sonic and Streets of Rage around friend's houses. Similarly never opted for an X Box.

I was and am always Nintendo and Sony.

There was no doubt some classics on the PS1 mind. The Oddworld games felt very unique as a 2D side scrolling puzzler rather than straight platformer.

The Crash Bandicoot series was good too, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc.

One of my all time favourite games is Little Big Adventure on the PC and they managed to port that perfectly on to the PS1 in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yeah you can pick up these things on the internet, retro pi consoles and in recent times they've managed to move these on to handhelds consoles too, a little like a Nintendo DS. They are the sort of kit worth investing in if you like retro gaming and with the size of the older games it's easy to fit multiple consoles with a full library on to memory cards, etc.

Loved the NES and SNES. I never had a Sega console when I was younger although obviously played the likes of Sonic and Streets of Rage around friend's houses. Similarly never opted for an X Box.

There was no doubt some classics on the PS1 mind. The Oddworld games felt very unique as a 2D side scrolling puzzler rather than straight platformer.

The Crash Bandicoot series was good too, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc.

One of my all time favourite games is Little Big Adventure on the PC and they managed to port that perfectly on to the PS1 in my opinion.

SPACEWAR! WAS THE WORLD'S FIRST VIDEO GAME

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/firsts-spacewar-was-the-worlds-first-video-game

Two full decades before the glory days of the arcade video game boom in the early '80s and ten years before gamers began pumping quarters into Atari's hypnotic Pong machines, a revolutionary game called Spacewar! was born.

Spacewar! is one of the earliest known digital computer video games and the first science fiction-themed game in the galaxy. Created by Steve "Slug" Russell, Martin "Shag" Graetz, and Wayne Wiitanen from their fictional "Hingham Institute," the hacker team first devised the game concept in 1961 for deployment on a newfangled DEC PDP-1 computer installed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

spacewarconsole.png

even earlier (1958)

Tennis For Two

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/54504/first-video-game-released-day-58-years-ago/index.html

What is considered to be the first video game - Tennis for Two, was released on this day, October 18th, 1958. American physicist William Higinbotham and technician Robert V. Dvorak, who created the game, displayed it on an oscilloscope and played with two custom aluminum controllers.

The game was pretty simple - it was rendered as a horizontal line, representing the tennis court, and a vertical line in the center, representing the tennis net. It was designed for two players, as the game says, who would hit and point the ball with a button on their controller.

The game was very popular at the Brookhaven National Laboratory's annual three-day public exhibition, with players lining up to see the game, especially high school students.

first-video-game-released-day-58-years-ago_01

and finally

The earliest known interactive electronic game is considered to be a cathode-ray tube amusement device, patented by Thomas T. Goldsmith Jr. and Estle Ray Mann in 1947. The device simulates artillery fire that throws its target on the CRT screen, coupled with an oscilloscope, and which is controlled by the switch. This was a completely analog device without memory or program.

Cathode-ray-tube-Amusement-Device.jpg

Anyone have or played the new Crash Team Racing game? 

Is it just a remake of the old game, or a proper new game in itself? 

I quite liked the original on the PlayStation but Mario Kart has continuously evolved and improved over time, I don't know how good this will be compared to that?

On ‎29‎-‎01‎-‎2020 at 1:48 PM, Superblue_1986 said:

Ohh man Street of rage series was the bomb, we played the shit of the second one, proper game at that time. Yeah SNES was quality all wround, plenty of games to enjoy. But I must say I never taken a liking to these games on micro-cards etc, I much rather have the original shit. My nr 1 is still my Neo-Geo system, the carts are like 5 times the size of a Snes, arcade perfect ports, but man you better be ready to pay for it. Games can easily go for several thousand Pounds, the most expensive go for like 100k, crazy really. If you want one of the best 2d gaming then thats the system. PS1 had many good games but never owned one, Gamecube was very good too. Im waiting to see what PS5 has to offer, very very advanced for a console it seems.

Anyone have or played the new Crash Team Racing game? 
Is it just a remake of the old game, or a proper new game in itself? 
I quite liked the original on the PlayStation but Mario Kart has continuously evolved and improved over time, I don't know how good this will be compared to that?

I have it but haven't played much after notable teething issues with online at launch & a few months after.

It's a complete remake of the original game - has the whole "story mode", every character to appear in any Crash Kart game has been available at a point (certain characters become available at times which you can purchase with in game currency or £) and is regularly updated.

I've only played Mario Kart games on handheld, so I couldn't give you an answer on the last one.

18 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I have it but haven't played much after notable teething issues with online at launch & a few months after.

It's a complete remake of the original game - has the whole "story mode", every character to appear in any Crash Kart game has been available at a point (certain characters become available at times which you can purchase with in game currency or £) and is regularly updated.

I've only played Mario Kart games on handheld, so I couldn't give you an answer on the last one.

I guess the question is - is it worth buying (would plan to buy on the Switch if that makes any difference)?

47 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Ohh man Street of rage series was the bomb, we played the shit of the second one, proper game at that time. Yeah SNES was quality all wround, plenty of games to enjoy. But I must say I never taken a liking to these games on micro-cards etc, I much rather have the original shit. My nr 1 is still my Neo-Geo system, the carts are like 5 times the size of a Snes, arcade perfect ports, but man you better be ready to pay for it. Games can easily go for several thousand Pounds, the most expensive go for like 100k, crazy really. If you want one of the best 2d gaming then thats the system. PS1 had many good games but never owned one, Gamecube was very good too. Im waiting to see what PS5 has to offer, very very advanced for a console it seems.

In case you're not aware Streets of Rage 4 is due out this year across all platforms (PlayStation, X Box, Switch, PC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_4

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In case you're not aware Streets of Rage 4 is due out this year across all platforms (PlayStation, X Box, Switch, PC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_4

Yup im was semi aware, they have taken their sweet time thats for sure. Looks decent my man, will give it a try. But I will be surprised if its anywhere near as good as SOR2.

I guess the question is - is it worth buying (would plan to buy on the Switch if that makes any difference)?
I think at a decent price (Switch game prices can be absurd), yes. However, I'd be worried about the Switch player base if online was something you were mainly after.