test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

closed Chelsea 1-0 Newcastle

Started by Jason,

Man of the Match   18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Kepa
    • Azpilicueta
    • Zouma
    • Tomori
    • Alonso
    • Jorginho
    • Barkley
    • Mount
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Willian
    • Abraham
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • James (sub)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

227 posts in this topic

Below average performance, but we managed to get over the line.

Back to back clean sheets is a big bonus as well.

Vesper and the wes like this

Jojo was fucking immense as usual but I would like to give my motm to Pulisic, changed the game from minute one and at least should receive half of the credit of the goal.

Strike, NikkiCFC and the wes like this

Just now, Jason said:

Thought he wasn't ready? :ph34r:

As a winger no. 

No.10? Perhaps. Looked much more lively than Mount, but still early days lol

Not happy with the wasted chances especially the open goal one, but a win is a win. I get nervous everytime Zouma or Tomori have the ball at their feet, Rudiger can't get fit soon enough! CHO is MOTM. Enough said. Moving on to the next match.

The pleasing thing about recently is we've not only conceded two goals in four games but given very little in terms of clear chances also. We're starting to control games a lot better now compared to the basketball type matches we saw early on.
Odoi gets MOTM but mentions have to go to Kovacic and Pulisic, completely changed the dynamic of the game after coming on. The fact we can have an injury crisis yet still bring on two players of that calibre speaks volumes as to how strong our squad is now. I think Christian should be starting at Ajax on Tuesday as the type of open game we will likely see will suit his ability's.
Full value for the win, would have been a catastrophy if Newcastle got a result, they did absolutely nothing going forward and despite playing defensively they still allowed about 5 clear chances, absolutely hopeless side.
Defensively especially transition it is still very concerning. Newcastle looked very dangerous in transition.

Alonso was poor for most of the game and I criticized him but of course naturally, he came up with the winner. 🤷‍♂️ Not the best performance but nice to know we can still get a result, especially against defensive teams. 

Muzchap likes this

4 minutes ago, communicate said:
7 minutes ago, Tomo said:
The pleasing thing about recently is we've not only conceded two goals in four games but given very little in terms of clear chances also. We're starting to control games a lot better now compared to the basketball type matches we saw early on.
Odoi gets MOTM but mentions have to go to Kovacic and Pulisic, completely changed the dynamic of the game after coming on. The fact we can have an injury crisis yet still bring on two players of that calibre speaks volumes as to how strong our squad is now. I think Christian should be starting at Ajax on Tuesday as the type of open game we will likely see will suit his ability's.
Full value for the win, would have been a catastrophy if Newcastle got a result, they did absolutely nothing going forward and despite playing defensively they still allowed about 5 clear chances, absolutely hopeless side.

Defensively especially transition it is still very concerning. Newcastle looked very dangerous in transition.

Don't think we will commit so high up against better teams than this, while on the ball we we're practically playing 2-5-3/2-3-5. Yeah there was a couple of hairy looking moments on paper but we gambled on Newcastle not having the quality or speed of thought to take advantage, which they didn't.

4th after City win...

Absolutely buzzing with that. 

I hate post International breaks - always tricky, let's build some momentum now and open up a nice gap 👍👍👍

milan.cech likes this

Alonso was poor for most of the game and I criticized him but of course naturally, he came up with the winner.  Not the best performance but nice to know we can still get a result, especially against defensive teams. 
He definitely struggles in a 4, over when he has more freedom as a wing back

Just now, Hutcho said:
4 minutes ago, Jason said:
Alonso was poor for most of the game and I criticized him but of course naturally, he came up with the winner. emoji2369.png Not the best performance but nice to know we can still get a result, especially against defensive teams. 

He definitely struggles in a 4, over when he has more freedom as a wing back

Even in a back 3, his attacking play can be sluggish. Just look at the contrast between CHO and Alonso when attacking. Night and day.

Even in a back 3, his attacking play can be sluggish. Just look at the contrast between CHO and Alonso when attacking. Night and day.
Bit unfair to even start to compare those 2, no?
Blue Armour likes this

Don't think we will commit so high up against better teams than this, while on the ball we we're practically playing 2-5-3/2-3-5. Yeah there was a couple of hairy looking moments on paper but we gambled on Newcastle not having the quality or speed of thought to take advantage, which they didn't.
Agree, they did have the speed maybe not the quality.
In essence, right now we have Jorginho problem. Definitely our best passer from midfield but provide 0 protection in transition.
Tomo likes this

1 minute ago, Hutcho said:
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Bit unfair to even start to compare those 2, no?

The point is when we're attacking, you want the players to play with pace, move the ball quickly etc, especially against defensive teams. CHO was doing that but Alonso wasn't. He's already slow to begin with but when he's not on it as well, it just becomes painful to watch. 

42 minutes ago, communicate said:

I told somebody if you want puli to play, play him high in mount or CHO position emoji57.pngemoji57.png@Jason

tenor.gif

Don't think I've necessarily disagreed with that point in particular but am too tired to go through this again...

communicate likes this