• Jorginho
    • Kante
    • Willian
    • Mount
    • Abraham
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)

Frightfully Happy to get our first CL win this season. However I was not happy overall:

1) We need to deal with set pieces, something has to change

2) Our back three made too many errors for the well being of my health

3) Kante was well below par today, and I am unable to judge Reece James from today's performance, I have high hopes

4) We need to start with CHO every game, period, no execptions. Like Hazard he changes games. Can't wait to have RLC, CHO and Mount in the same team

Lastly I honestly think our Academy players are worth over $200M, they are all so amazing

Happy time to have beer...............Cheers

Ecstatic about the win. Wednesday night in rainy Flanders, this was never gonna be pretty. After a great opener and once again a frustrating corner goal conceded, the game was growing increasingly flat as usually 90% of halftime draws in these kind of constellations remain as such in fulltime. But Lampard said "I am not having this" and made the proactive match-winning substitution. We needed a result and grinded one out. This is the mark of top teams.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

that makes sense, save for the fact that none of our 3 CB's were CB's with Sarri (Azpi) or not even on the team then (Tomori and Zouma)

A lot of the triggers and passing sequences in our own half look very like how we played under Sarri and also Conte at times.

I think the groundwork for Sarri was already there in a way because of how we played out under Conte despite using a different formation and again now for Frank because of how we continued to play out under Sarri. Even times when we play with a back 4, a lot of our football from the goalkicks and getting through teams in our own half is stuff we definitely seen under Sarri. Especially on the right hand side with Azpi, Kante and also Jorginho combining with one or two touch passing. 

Almost shoot ourselves in the foot with those individual errors (Kepa, Tomori), but in the end this is the beauty of this season really, if there is a time where mistakes are, let's say, accepted, it's this now, this very season of transition where 19 at 20 year olds get to play regular football for one of world's biggest clubs in both PL and CL. 

Talk about slowly introducing youngsters in the team, Lamps having none of that, it's so easy to enjoy this current Chelsea, I'm hoping some day during next spring all of CHO, RLC, James, Tammy, Mount, Tomori are on the teamsheet at the same time. 

We are simply early in shifting gears.....it will come around nicely. Once we are more settled and have a full power team at the ready only then will we see our true potential....right now we are merely getting used to handling a racer car. Abolish zonal and set piece issues and we wont concede half the goals.

3 hours ago, Atomiswave said:

We are simply early in shifting gears.....it will come around nicely. Once we are more settled and have a full power team at the ready only then will we see our true potential....right now we are merely getting used to handling a racer car. Abolish zonal and set piece issues and we wont concede half the goals.

I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as going man to man and everything will be fine, we have a small team with a keeper who is hesitant to claim high balls, that combination is always going to cause issues zonal/man to man/whatever. Infact I think statically zonal marking actually has lower goal and chance concession rates than man to man (it's only when it goes wrong with zonal it gets more attention hence people assuming otherwise) so if that trend continues here switching to man to man will only make things worse.

If we want to truly improve our set piece woes we have to work on not conceding them in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If we want to truly improve our set piece woes we have to work on not conceding them in the first place.

Impossible, they are inevitably conceded every game several times. It's not a solution, a solution would be to defend set-pieces properly. I've heard that learning to defend zonal is harder than man-to-man, but yields greater rewards once mastered...so I'm willing to give them time to improve on that.

21 minutes ago, manpe said:

Impossible, they are inevitably conceded every game several times. It's not a solution, a solution would be to defend set-pieces properly. I've heard that learning to defend zonal is harder than man-to-man, but yields greater rewards once mastered...so I'm willing to give them time to improve on that.

God i hope you're right.

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as going man to man and everything will be fine, we have a small team with a keeper who is hesitant to claim high balls, that combination is always going to cause issues zonal/man to man/whatever. Infact I think statically zonal marking actually has lower goal and chance concession rates than man to man (it's only when it goes wrong with zonal it gets more attention hence people assuming otherwise) so if that trend continues here switching to man to man will only make things worse.

Mixing zonal with man-to-man is for me the solution. For example, have 3-4 players standing on 4-5 yards from the near, far post and in the middle of the 6 yard area. Other players (even the smaller ones) should man mark opponents and try to make it more difficult for them to move towards the ball and leap. 

The biggest problem with strictly zonal marking is the fact defenders are jumping from a standing position whilst an attacking player is free to have a little run towards the ball and leap. Anyone who played at least semi-serious football knows how big of an advantage in aerial duels this is. 

1 hour ago, Bosnian Blue said:

The biggest problem with strictly zonal marking is the fact defenders are jumping from a standing position whilst an attacking player is free to have a little run towards the ball and leap.

Yep and yesterday was a prime example. Zouma and Tomori(?) got burnt badly because they didn't get any leap like the attacker.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

It cant possibly get worse than what we are seeing now......we are constantly letting goals in that way. At least be close to your man and stop his momentum or something. Whatever it may be, Lamps has to focus on it man. Overall im happy what im seeing, sure as fuck beats the hell we saw under Sarri. We can only grow and get better......but ffs sort this issue out, every bloody team now know we suck at set pieces, they will target it.

23 hours ago, Tomo said:

This. Finally someone touch about Courtois. Courtois helped us tremendously with set pieces.