• Jorginho
    • Kovacic
    • Willian
    • Mount
    • Abraham
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)

Could be the pope's decision. He is no PK taker.
He's taken several set pieces. The pen is 3 inches from being a great hit. A bit of an over reaction there.

He's the pen taker so part of that miss is on Willian for adding to the pressure and not letting him get on with it.

4 hours ago, Jason said:
Barkley isn't even first choice but suddenly becomes the first choice PK taker when he's on the pitch? Okay Frank... 

That has no bearing, though. Same as Cahill being captain last season despite never playing.

Every possible candidate was on the pitch, so what's the issue aside from people being against the idea

Barkley isn't even first choice but suddenly becomes the first choice PK taker when he's on the pitch? Okay Frank... 
There's a pen order. So if he's on the pitch he takes it... Why does it matter if he's a starter or not. The rest of them need to respect the order. If he's not on the pitch no 2 has it. Simple

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Valencia and Wolves created very little and still ended up scoring 3 goals against us, with 2 of them being relatively clear cut. 

I'm pleased we've looked defensively better with the 3-4-3 but if Lampard is simply playing that system to cover our defensive problems without actually working on fixing them, then we've got big problems here. 

You talked about Azpi and Alonso but what about Willian? He got into the final third so many times but played hopeless balls and made horrendous decisions every single time!

2 were set pieces though and this is definitely an area that needs to be improved significantly.

I still believe that some of those defensive problems in a back 4 are personnel at present. We're without our best defender, best midfielder and now best left back so I understand Lampard trying to compensate for that.

Agree on Willian and Pedro too was very poor tonight. I think the system will actually suit the younger players more giving them licence to roam around a little bit more. Mount, Pulisic, CHO, even RLC could operate in those areas effectively.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Being first choice and considered the best penalty taker at the club won't always go together. Lampard in his last season wasn't first choice but would still have been number 1 penalty taker when on the pitch.

The issue stems from Barkley only being on the pitch for a couple of minutes and not really had a touch yet. That's why he's being questioned if he's ok to take it but once he says he's up for it, the rest should just get out the box and let him get on with it.

2 minutes ago, Hutcho said:
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

There's a pen order. So if he's on the pitch he takes it... Why does it matter if he's a starter or not. The rest of them need to respect the order. If he's not on the pitch no 2 has it. Simple

Because there is a reason he isn't first choice? I just don't buy Lampard's explanation here. He obviously wasn't going to throw Barkley under the bus but he clearly was trying to protect him. On top of that, Barkley's last penalty was 3 years ago and he's suddenly the first choice to take it and take it in a high pressure situation? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. 

Set pieces is the entire teams responsibility. When the opposition puts 8-9 players in our box to attack set prices all our players are defending.

that has been my point all along. In that set piece Tammy was defending and did not do that very well. He had a poor game and that’s ok and will happen again.

it is hard to defend set pieces with any players esp younger inexperienced ones. 

The players also need to learn when it is important to hold the ball and pass it around versus trying to beat their marker, esp in CL.

Because there is a reason he isn't first choice? I just don't buy Lampard's explanation here. He obviously wasn't going to throw Barkley under the bus but he clearly was trying to protect him. On top of that, Barkley's last penalty was 3 years ago and he's suddenly the first choice to take it and take it in a high pressure situation? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. 

Whats not to buy lol. Get rid of the tin hat.

Being a good pen taker and being first choice don't have to overlap.

He wouldn't throw him under the bus but he equally wouldn't lie who our pen taker is. As that'd be even more awkward for him with the guy who is. He's even proved he's been pen taker...

He was our pen taker during pre season when he scored vs salzberg. And took one in the shootout (and scored) vs pool... BTW jorginho was on the pitch when he took it...

Jorginho took one in the UEFA super cup before barkley is on the pitch.

It's a non issue. He's the pen taker. Willian needs to leave him alone when he has the ball. If he ain't on the pitch it's either jorginho or Willian

19 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Check his record in shootouts for us. You ain't in any position to say who should or shouldn't be the taker and have no bearing on the matter either.

Lampard made his decision, so those surrounding him should shoulder most of the blame.

Name a good penalty taker past or present who goes for the roof of the net.

Name a good penalty taker who hasn't at one point hit one hard down the middle?

What sort of question is that? Lol

Are you saying barkley only ever goes for the roof of the net?

Keeper went the wrong way. He just got under it. What's the big debate here? Lol

This is getting laughable. Our pen taker hit the bar on a pen. It happens

1 minute ago, Hutcho said:

Whats not to buy lol. Get rid of the tin hat.

Being a good pen taker and being first choice don't have to overlap.

He wouldn't throw him under the bus but he equally wouldn't lie who our pen taker is. As that'd be even more awkward for him with the guy who is. He's even proved he's been pen taker...

He was our pen taker during pre season when he scored vs salzberg. And took one in the shootout (and scored) vs pool
Jorginho took one in the UEFA super cup before barkley is on the pitch.

It's a non issue. He's the pen taker. Willian needs to leave him alone when he has the ball. If he ain't on the pitch it's either jorginho or Willian

Scoring a penalty in pre-season means zilch, isn't it? It's just like how Barkley performed well in pre-season and then suddenly turned bad once the season started. 

And for argument's sake, Lampard putting Barkley as the first choice PK taker is just bad management. He isn't first choice in the XI and more importantly, he isn't a regular taker either. To put on him first is just nonsense. 

Players change their target with every PK. Have you seen Barkley's penalties in his last three shootouts?

I honestly have no problem with being first choice. Hazard is no longer here, so it ought to be a non-issue.

1 minute ago, Hutcho said:

Name a good penalty taker who hasn't at one point hit one hard down the middle?

What sort of question is that? Lol

Are you saying barkley only ever goes for the roof of the net?

Keeper went the wrong way. He just got under it. What's the big debate here? Lol

This is getting laughable. Our pen taker hit the bar on a pen. It happens

Only an amateur shoots a pen like that.

Scoring a penalty in pre-season means zilch, isn't it? It's just like how Barkley performed well in pre-season and then suddenly turned bad once the season started. 
And for argument's sake, Lampard putting Barkley as the first choice PK taker is just bad management. He isn't first choice in the XI and more importantly, he isn't a regular taker either. To put on him first is just nonsense. 

How does it mean zilch?

Both players were on the pitch and he took it... Is pre season just a laugh and they don't try and implement what they are going to do in real games? What's his performances got to do with anything.

Do you have one bit of factual evidence he isn't the pen taker... Absolutely not. It's clear he is the pen taker. This is hilarious

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

Players change their target with every PK. Have you seen Barkley's penalties in his last three shootouts?

I honestly have no problem with being first choice. Hazard is no longer here, so it ought to be a non-issue.

Hazard missed one rather badly, I think it was against a Bosnian side.
But he normally knows what he's doing. He would never shoot the Barkley way.
Also compare Didier's cl winner with Barkley's sh*t.

3 hours ago, cosmicway said:
Only an amateur shoots a pen like that.

True - https://youtu.be/Aq9waHBArdo

3 hours ago, cosmicway said:
Hazard missed one rather badly, I think it was against a Bosnian side. But he normally knows what he's doing. He would never shoot the Barkley way.

Also compare Didier's cl winner with Barkley's sh*t.

Joringho takes it - See what happened in the Carabao Cup final?

Digging more than grave at this point. Just voice your displeasure at Lampard's decision & move on.

Just now, Hutcho said:

How does it mean zilch?

Both players were on the pitch and he took it... Is pre season just a laugh and they don't try and implement what they are going to do in real games? What's his performances got to do with anything.

Do you have one bit of factual evidence he isn't the pen taker... Absolutely not. It's clear he is the pen taker. This is hilarious

Lampard put him as first PK taker? Fine. But putting him as the first one is laughable when he has never been a regular taker in his career.