23. Conor Gallagher

NikkiCFC

12 minutes ago, the wes said:

Four goals and two assists already. Plus motm performance against Leeds when he didn't contribute to the goals. Mount last season had 8 and 5. If Connor continues this way he will have a better season than Mason with Derby. Since Mount, Tomori and Abraham all came from Championship and got a chance (deserved) I think if Connor continues this way it will be extremely unfair if he's not in the squad next season. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Four goals and two assists already. Plus motm performance against Leeds when he didn't contribute to the goals. Mount last season had 8 and 5. If Connor continues this way he will have a better season than Mason with Derby. Since Mount, Tomori and Abraham all came from Championship and got a chance (deserved) I think if Connor continues this way it will be extremely unfair if he's not in the squad next season. 

He will get a fair chance in pre season and then Lamps will decide. The question also is if Lamps wants also to use Anjorin, who I rate really highly.

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

He will get a fair chance in pre season and then Lamps will decide. The question also is if Lamps wants also to use Anjorin, who I rate really highly.

It's a bit of a headache in coming season's if all the lads produce as expected, even more so if others pull a Tomori esque surprise on top.

Just now, Tomo said:

It's a bit of a headache in coming season's if all the lads produce as expected, even more so if others pull a Tomori esque surprise on top.

Eventually one of our guys will leave us  and do well for another club . Reminds me a bit of Barcelona when La Masia produced too many great talents and some of them left the club.

Right now, we may have a problem with Mount, RLC, Anjorin and Gallagher. For me personally, RLC and Anjorin would be the favourites to win that battle in the long run.I have to see how good Gallagher really is in Pre Season. Mount would be the perfect Squad player because RLC has his injury problems and he would get enough time to play

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Eventually one of our guys will leave us  and do well for another club . Reminds me a bit of Barcelona when La Masia produced too many great talents and some of them left the club.

Right now, we may have a problem with Mount, RLC, Anjorin and Gallagher. For me personally, RLC and Anjorin would be the favourites to win that battle in the long run.I have to see how good Gallagher really is in Pre Season. Mount would be the perfect Squad player because RLC has his injury problems and he would get enough time to play

Idk, I have always rated Mount higher than Loftus Cheek although the latters form at the end of last season did give me some food for thought but in Lampard's high octane system I think Mount has the edge.

Also if we can produce good squad players that will be just as good as producing a world class player in some ways, part of the CO92 was Butt and P.Neville, neither were top class but both knew their place and played their part. 

Just now, Tomo said:

Idk, I have always rated Mount higher than Loftus Cheek although the latters form at the end of last season did give me some food for thought but in Lampard's high octane system I think Mount has the edge.

Also if we can produce good squad players that will be just as good as producing a world class player in some ways, part of the CO92 was Butt and P.Neville, neither were top class but both knew their place and played their part. 

Funny because I always rated RLC much higher than Mount and the others. I watch RLC since he was  16 and he always looked so special to me. For his size, having so much speed and technique is so rare. He is a perfect box to box player potential wise in my eyes. If he improves a little bit more of defensive work, he will do fine and I don´t see Mount winning that battle. Players like RLC are rare. But we  also have Anjorin, who is a no. 10 version of RLC. Maybe that is why I am hyping Anjorin so much haha. RLC with those crazy runs with the ball and dribbling past players in tight spaces even against teams like City or old Spurs last season haha.

I will never forget the friendly match against City where a 17 year old RLC outmuscled prime Yaya and Yaya got so frustrated with him after RLC dribbled past him, that Yaya nearly broke his legs in a foul haha. Sadly, Mou fucked up a lot of his potential back then due to the fact that Mou is a youth hater

21 minutes ago, Tomo said:

part of the CO92 was Butt and P.Neville, neither were top class but both knew their place and played their part

Very good point and, importantly, each was able to cover multiple positions so they weren't relying on a specific player being injured/rested/rotated to get game time. This meant they got plenty of minutes so stayed involved and happy.

54 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Funny because I always rated RLC much higher than Mount and the others. I watch RLC since he was  16 and he always looked so special to me. For his size, having so much speed and technique is so rare. He is a perfect box to box player potential wise in my eyes. If he improves a little bit more of defensive work, he will do fine and I don´t see Mount winning that battle. Players like RLC are rare. But we  also have Anjorin, who is a no. 10 version of RLC. Maybe that is why I am hyping Anjorin so much haha. RLC with those crazy runs with the ball and dribbling past players in tight spaces even against teams like City or old Spurs last season haha.

I will never forget the friendly match against City where a 17 year old RLC outmuscled prime Yaya and Yaya got so frustrated with him after RLC dribbled past him, that Yaya nearly broke his legs in a foul haha. Sadly, Mou fucked up a lot of his potential back then due to the fact that Mou is a youth hater

Disagree with almost all of this killer in as much as I am yet to be convinced by these two.

I've also watched Ruben ever since he broke into the 18s. For most of that time, actually all of that time bar a few games last season, he's frustrated the heck out of me. The frustration was caused by his inability to get involved in the game and make a difference. He would often do something really, really nice and then stand around watching the game pass him by. I saw an England age group game where Rubes managed just three touches in twenty minutes. It definitely was not a case of others not passing to him he just wasn't making angles for his teammates to find him. What is more, his three touches were all just simple drop offs. Horrible performance and, I'm afraid, all too typical.

Look at Ruben's efforts in the World Cup last year. How often did he really impact a game? Spent most of his time on the periphery. Even his most famous (televised) moment in the 18s was more evidence of his basic problem. In a UEFA Youth League game against a Schalke side including Sane, Ruben broke up an attack in his own box, beat a couple of opponents with some magic touches, surged past another few with more great feet, chose the right pass to serve the ball out wide left to Musonda who delivered it into their box and a beautiful team goal was scored. What's the problem? After Ruben laid the ball off he adopted his usual, I've done my bit, I'm a spectator now' attitude. No busting a gut to get into the box, no following his pass to back up Charlie if required. It was a bad habit and it has taken him a long time to even convince people that he might be shaking it off. No one but Ruben, kept Ruben out of the Chelsea side.

At the back end of the 17/18 season, I posted to say that I thought Tino looked like becoming the next big thing in the 18s. Unfortunately he had a pretty lacklustre, injury affected, season last term. I've seen him several times so far this year and his cameo against a defeated, demoralised and knackered Grimsby was by far his best display in those games. Don't get me wrong, I loved what I saw from Tino that night. It reminded me why I said, what I said, in 2018. He's still a baby; more of what we saw against the Mariners and we'll all be very, very happy.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Congratulations to Connor, he's started really well. I haven't watched him play for Charlton yet. In part, I confess, because I've never really believed in his Chelsea chances. If he makes the grade it will be a very pleasant surprise for me. 

On 28/09/2019 at 7:15 PM, milan.cech said:

Wow! I better take a look at the lad. :) You might put some of the early season comments down to honeymoon assessments but this is a couple of months into the season now and you'd expect fans to be getting a bit more demaning about what they want from a player, yet the reviews seem to be getting better not more balanced.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Very good point and, importantly, each was able to cover multiple positions so they weren't relying on a specific player being injured/rested/rotated to get game time. This meant they got plenty of minutes so stayed involved and happy.

According to transfermarkt Conor has played in every single midfield position for Charlton already, maybe he could be that guy.

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Even beyond that group, when United had the likes of O'Shea, Evans, Wes Brown, Fletcher, etc. They were never first choice quality but they kept that core United philosophy in the club, could be trusted and being from Uniteds academy they were more willing and happy to accept a squad role for a much longer proportion of their careers. 

It also allowed Fergie to rebuild the starting XI to challenge us at the time rather than having to rebuild the squad as a whole. Anyone can buy a player and they flop but I've mentioned a few times here that our biggest failing has been overpaying on players who were only brought in as squad depth and then as a result there's an inability to move them on easily.

Theres really high hope for a number of players, particularly the current crop breaking through now. But it will be just as important to get the squad depth from the academy in the future so our transfer budget each season can be focused on a couple of top signings specifically designed to strengthen the first XI as opposed to stretching that budget across 3, 4, 5 players and hindering the overall quality we buy.

• 2 weeks later...