• Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pedro
    • Abraham
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

On 8/6/2019 at 4:20 AM, Jason said:

Since the starting XI is all the rage right now, think Lampard will go with this:

Kepa

Azpi---Zouma---Luiz---Emerson

Jorginho---Kovacic

Pulisic---Mount---Pedro

Abraham

Give or take Christensen for Zouma, Barkley for Mount and Giroud/Batshuayi for Abraham. Doubt Lampard will risk Kante from the start (might have him on the bench) and Willian is not match fit yet. 

Err, so I'm guessing Christensen will take Luiz's place then in the starting XI. 

7 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I think Kante is a must. No grit in the centre of the field without him.

Agree. Kante seems like a must for this game if he is physically capable of handling 60 mins

8 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I think Kante is a must. No grit in the centre of the field without him.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Agree. Kante seems like a must for this game if he is physically capable of handling 60 mins

Kante just came back from a long term injury and played only 18 minutes in pre-season. I know this is a big game but it's only one game and the first game of the season. I don't think it's worth the risk to play him when he's not fully fit yet. After all, Kante only got into this situation because he was rushed back to play that Europa League final and last thing we need right now is him getting injured again and missing for an even longer period (we did that with Rudiger last season and look what happened). 

20 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood...

they will hit us with pace 

Sure they will, but so will we......I would love it if we make holes in them time and time again. A win will give us a huge booster.

David Luiz's sudden departure fucks us in another way that I didn't even think about until now. Both Zouma and AC have always played as the right sided CB and one will now have to move to the other side.

Don't know if that's a big deal at all as I've never played the position, but it's got to be a learning curve, yes? Especially when you've only got a couple of days to get used to it.

David Luiz's sudden departure fucks us in another way that I didn't even think about until now. Both Zouma and AC have always played as the right sided CB and one will now have to move to the other side.
Don't know if that's a big deal at all as I've never played the position, but it's got to be a learning curve, yes? Especially when you've only got a couple of days to get used to it.
AC played on the left in our last two games. It isn't exactly going to be a shocked to his system.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

I think it is a problem if you don't have left foot especially if you are asked to bring the ball up from the back 

Damn. Showtime now. We need Zouma and AC to become the players they were always hoped to be and do so right now. No idea what to expect. I think it is just important to play without fear. For guys like Pulisic and maybe even Mount it will be their PL debut and that at OT. Absolute baptism of fire. It can go horribly wrong or it will be a refreshing performance. I can see no middle ground. I dont think we can go there and hold out for a 0-0 Mourinho-style. We dont have that in our locker right now and its also not Lamps's philosophy. I just hope we will not be naive like when AVB came to OT and placed Terry and Luiz almost on the sidelines and Rooney walked right through the middle. Different times but we need to be compact and probably not risk a high line and close players down in midfield quickly. If we win the midfield battle, which we should be able to given our midfield is vastly superior and do so without pushing too high and leaving space behind we have a chance. Win the ball in midfield and then distribute them to our pacy flank and it can be a feast.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

Kante just came back from a long term injury and played only 18 minutes in pre-season. I know this is a big game but it's only one game and the first game of the season. I don't think it's worth the risk to play him when he's not fully fit yet. After all, Kante only got into this situation because he was rushed back to play that Europa League final and last thing we need right now is him getting injured again and missing for an even longer period (we did that with Rudiger last season and look what happened). 

Hmm. Agree

After a long time (maybe actually the first time) I dont see we winning this game but I'm still eagerly looking forward to it. I hope at best we will draw thats is stretching by a miles. Curious to see who starts and how we shape up on Sunday will probably be the strategy and line up for the rest of the season. 

In true sense this will be a season of transition and new beginnings :)

17 hours ago, Atomiswave said:

Sure they will, but so will we......I would love it if we make holes in them time and time again. A win will give us a huge booster.

Difference is our defence can be got at with pace. Obviously no Alonso is better but still zouma is probably the only one that will stand toe to toe with them. 

Of our front 3 only Pulisic has blinding speed (boy does he have speed!) But he is up against probably the fastest rb in the league. 

Our main problem as i see it is that we don't yet move as a team. The front 6 press and the defence don't close the gap. Or the front 6 are so disjointed in the press it's useless. That's hopefully an area we will improve. 

Our best football in preseason was sitting deep and hit them on the counter attack. 

2 hours ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Difference is our defence can be got at with pace. Obviously no Alonso is better but still zouma is probably the only one that will stand toe to toe with them. 

Of our front 3 only Pulisic has blinding speed (boy does he have speed!) But he is up against probably the fastest rb in the league. 

Fair points