• Kovacic
    • Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pedro
    • Abraham
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

Hope Lampard picks a CB partnership and settles with it. Has chopped and changed so many times during pre-season, which is partly understandable but the season is about to start and we need to have a settled defence if we are to avoid committing stupid mistakes at the back.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hope Lampard picks a CB partnership and settles with it. Has chopped and changed so many times during pre-season, which is partly understandable but the season is about to start and we need to have a settled defence if we are to avoid committing stupid mistakes at the back.

Think he'll 100% go with Zouma and Luiz until Rüdi gets back.

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

That combo is a disaster waiting to happen. 

It is, indeed. Live by the Luiz, die by the Luiz.

Hope like hell that Kante is ready by next weekend. Rasford, Martial, etc running at our defense doesn't exactly sound exciting after what we've witnessed in preseason, does it? 😅

12 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

CB is problem. I trust only Rudiger and he's not available. 

Kepa, Azpi, Luiz, Chris/Zouma, Emerson, Kante, Jorginho, Barkley, Pedro, Pulisic, Giroud. 

Mount, Kovacic and Michy subs. 

Mount and Abraham over Barkley and Giroud

Complete reset from last season please

8 hours ago, Pizy said:

It is, indeed. Live by the Luiz, die by the Luiz.

Hope like hell that Kante is ready by next weekend. Rasford, Martial, etc running at our defense doesn't exactly sound exciting after what we've witnessed in preseason, does it? 😅

I don't trust Zouma either. Suspect defensively and looks so cumbersome whenever he's on the ball.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

AC and Luiz for me

shame Reece isnt fit, as he could play either RB or CB (instead of Luiz) with Azpi (I would go CB with him) taking the other role

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't trust Zouma either. Suspect defensively and looks so cumbersome whenever he's on the ball.

Yeah, this preseason has been a big reminder for me about Zouma's shortcomings. His concentration/focus isn't great (which the espn commentator mentioned seemingly a dozen times yesterday) and his ability on the ball is very subpar. He almost never made forward passes this summer that were more than a few yards. He always plays the safe sideways or backwards pass.

I think Zouma will be fine this season against certain teams but I 100% would not play him against super quick, highly technical teams like City/Liverpool/Arse. 

Luckily, it seems like Rüdiger isn't far away. Hopefully back to his 18/19 form.

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, this preseason has been a big reminder for me about Zouma's shortcomings. His concentration/focus isn't great (which the espn commentator mentioned seemingly a dozen times yesterday) and his ability on the ball is very subpar. He almost never made forward passes this summer that were more than a few yards. He always plays the safe sideways or backwards pass.

I think Zouma will be fine this season against certain teams but I 100% would not play him against super quick, highly technical teams like City/Liverpool/Arse. 

Will be happy if he can prove me wrong but Zouma is basically another Cahill, IMO. Good and solid in defensive systems but found wanting in more progressive, attacking systems. Positionally poor, not great intelligence in higher defensive line and offers average, unambitious passing when on the ball. As Vesper mentioned above, I'd rather go with Luiz and Christensen at Old Trafford. At least they have decent chemistry by now having played together last season along with the full backs.