RB Salzburg 3-5 Chelsea

Jase

The issue for me isnt the goals as 1 was a pen and the other had an unlucky bounce, it's set pieces and the fact we don't look organised at the back and haven't done for some time since we played with a 3 (5) at the back under conte.

However, it's pre season. If you just read this we were both the best team in the world in the first half and then complete shite in the second half. When in fact neither of them are true.

Rudiger coming back should be a lift and the most crucial part is kante who it cannot be overstated will be key to this defence.

Pulisic, and barkley again impressed and I much prefer this style of play, even if it does leave us more open, the key is to ensure we are adaptable which it appears Frank will be with him trying different things out

Our games remind me of Klopp Pool in the beginning. Lots of freedom and creativity in attack. Our players got more relaxed and unshakled under Lamps. Lesser players giving their part. Defensively realy bad. 

Generaly this pre season results are just crazy. 

Bayern spuds 7:8, real atletico 3:7...is no one training defenses anymore as long CBs can do long pass and control the ball?

The goals conceded in the last 2 games must be a concern because they've all been preventable with half the result of individual errors and the other half more marking or organisation.

The first can happen and hopefully eradicate as we move out of pre season but the lack of organisation is a big issue, especially with Luiz and Azpilicueta in that defence who should be leading and our most experienced players.

It also throws up questions does Lampard need a coach in that group that's a bit more defensively minded and experienced to work with the backline on their shape and organisation?

Having said that Rudiger and Kante will make a huge difference to our defensive strength. They are our best two players in those positions. It would be like taking Van Dijk and Fabinho out of the Liverpool side and expecting them to still be as defensively solid, not going to happen.

10 hours ago, Hutcho said:

The issue for me isnt the goals as 1 was a pen and the other had an unlucky bounce, it's set pieces and the fact we don't look organised at the back and haven't done for some time since we played with a 3 (5) at the back under conte.

We were third best defense last season in the league. In Conte first season we conceded 33 goals, in second 38 and last season with Sarri 39. If you take away crazy games like City and Bournemouth where we conceded 10 goals we had great defensive line last season.

We were third best defense last season in the league. In Conte first season we conceded 33 goals, in second 38 and last season with Sarri 39. If you take away crazy games like City and Bournemouth where we conceded 10 goals we had great defensive line last season.
We also scored the lowest amount of goals of the top 6 and that was with hazard.

That first conte season we looked all round more complete with the 3 at the back not that I want to go back to it.

19 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

We also scored the lowest amount of goals of the top 6 and that was with hazard.

That first conte season we looked all round more complete with the 3 at the back not that I want to go back to it.

Conte fix our defensive problem by playing two destroyer in front of 3 CB. I don't think we will do that. But we need to fix our defense, Salzburg attacker had tons of touches in our penalty box. 

But honestly I want to see us playing a more normal game. It was a game between two unorganized high pressing team. Usually team with better player always win. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The goals conceded in the last 2 games must be a concern because they've all been preventable with half the result of individual errors and the other half more marking or organisation.

The first can happen and hopefully eradicate as we move out of pre season but the lack of organisation is a big issue, especially with Luiz and Azpilicueta in that defence who should be leading and our most experienced players.

It also throws up questions does Lampard need a coach in that group that's a bit more defensively minded and experienced to work with the backline on their shape and organisation?

Having said that Rudiger and Kante will make a huge difference to our defensive strength. They are our best two players in those positions. It would be like taking Van Dijk and Fabinho out of the Liverpool side and expecting them to still be as defensively solid, not going to happen.

Funny you mentioned Luiz to lead the team when he was playing like his typical headless chicken self last night.

Organizing/Leading the side defensively is much easier for a player when there's proper defensive organization. Otherwise, if the game becomes chaotic like last night, you'll left with players running around aimlessly trying to plug the holes and needing them to make the correct decision every single time and that is something that shouldn't be happening at this level.

I'd be wary of saying "Rudiger and Kante will improve us defensively when they return" because if there's no cohesive, proper defensive organization in this side, then the team is bound to fail regardless. It's up to Lampard and his coaching staff to sort this out first and foremost. 

48 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

It helps when you have a proper goalscorer upfront too.

8 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Our games remind me of Klopp Pool in the beginning. Lots of freedom and creativity in attack. Our players got more relaxed and unshakled under Lamps. Lesser players giving their part. Defensively realy bad. 

The thing is, we have better defenders now than Klopp did back then and unlike Liverpool, we had defensive/pragmatic managers for years. So, the defending bit shouldn't be an alien thing for us but that has like disappeared since Conte left.

Someone pointed out above that we had a decent defensive record under Sarri but that's more down to the possession football style of his. We kept the ball a lot and prevented opponents from coming at us consistently. That said, there were a number of games where we looked defensively shambolic. 

I think our style of play will change not only because it's lampard preferred way of playing. But because we need to with the personnel changes. And the team makeup this year will be much more suited to that playstyle.

Wide players and a striker who presses on top of youth in midfield who work hard.

The problem is this could cause defensive frailties hopefully temporarily as we fix the system...

The key to me is the fast high pressing game is great for our best player (kante) as if defenders and mids are rushed then kante will be able to mop up poor balls etc.

Lampard on the game.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/07/31/frank-lampard-reveals-what-he-loved-about-christian-pulisic-s-go?cardIndex=0-3

‘Some really good play from us, some good goals, good combinations,’ he listed. ‘Great attacking of the line from front men and wingers, which is a huge thing for me, and obviously conceding some goals with some sloppy moments from us.

‘Big positives in the way we played, this was a tough match for us against a team that is in-season and play with a high press. They tested us on the ball, we succeed at times and not at other times but I am pleased generally. Conceding in pre-season is something you don’t want to do but it is not the worst as it gives you things to address before the business starts.’

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The thing is, we have better defenders now than Klopp did back then and unlike Liverpool, we had defensive/pragmatic managers for years. So, the defending bit shouldn't be an alien thing for us but that has like disappeared since Conte left.

Someone pointed out above that we had a decent defensive record under Sarri but that's more down to the possession football style of his. We kept the ball a lot and prevented opponents from coming at us consistently. That said, there were a number of games where we looked defensively shambolic. 

I think defensive organization is not really our main problem it is more on our pressing. It looks very unorganized, with good pressing your backline won't get exposed as much because either you will get the ball or they need to clear the ball more. 

With bad one, it is a disaster waiting to happen. 

8 hours ago, Stats said:
It is really frustrating to see how fans have such knee-jerk reactions. It just takes a couple of games or so for a player to perform and fans suddenly realise that maybe the player is quite good and has a lot of ability. I have long been a fan of Kovacic and was bemused by the majority of fans who were so against signing him. Suddenly is playing good in pre-season and Eureka! Same goes to Barkley too. Most fans trash talk him and write him off until he shows a few good games in pre-season. This is why I wish some of us would just be patient and allow a player to grow. Look how much people have taken to Jorginho after slating him off then he suddenly starts to settle and look good. 
Patience is a virtue. Kovacic has always been a talented player. Barkley is talented too.

People were against the fee and his actual output last season. £40m~ for someone that didn't score and set up one goal IIRC.

Certainly looks decent in preseason, but we should all know by now that it counts for very little. Let's see what he is upto against Utd, should he start.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

People were against the fee and his actual output last season. £40m~ that didn't score and set up one goal IIRC.

Certainly looks decent in preseason, but we should all know by now that it counts for very little. Let's see what he is upto against Utd, should he start.

We had no choice to pay that amount of money. I think he is very well composed on the ball and keeps possession well and draws fouls and he is still relatively young. That is the money for player this day and age and as we had a transfer ban, we had to pay that much. And generally, people did not want the player either way. But that is the point, a couple pre-season games and it is like a 'Eureka' moment. Majority of fans now would be happy to see him lineup against United.

We had no choice to pay that amount of money. I think he is very well composed on the ball and keeps possession well and draws fouls and he is still relatively young. That is the money for player this day and age and as we had a transfer ban, we had to pay that much. And generally, people did not want the player either way. But that is the point, a couple pre-season games and it is like a 'Eureka' moment. Majority of fans now would be happy to see him lineup against United.
I'm still of the train of thought that Pasalic would have been a better option all round but here we are.