Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Midfield of Kova-Jorgi was bypassed too often. Particularly could not get to grips with that Barca kid. Thankfully we have Kante, RLC there

Defense is suspect too. Interestingly, Tomori and Zouma came on in the second half although I didn't watch either play

Puig will eventually be a beast

and

Thankfully we have Kante, RLC there

no we do not atm, especially RLC

29 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Do you honestly think Bulka was ever gonna be good enough to play ahead of Kepa at any moment in time last season?

Lets be honest, if he was we wouldnt have kept Caballero about as a back up or signed Rob Green as a third choice. Or spent 71m on Kepa if he was ready to play.

Kepa is much much better there is not even a realistic debate to be had, if you watched us last season, which I am sure you did, you would of seen Kepa was pretty good for his first season. Argubaly a lot better and consistent than David De Gea fared overall in his first season too (although he was perhaps not as physically filled out, although Kepa can still improve that). Not saying he will reach that level but he will be a very very good Gk undoubtedly and 71m over say what he penned a 7 year contract, if he sees it out, hardly that bad is it? 

Do you think the club would of spent 71m on a 24 year old GK if there was a kid in the academy at the same or similar level? I mean I know our record with youth is bad with the outfield players but it would of made absolutely no sense at all to sell Courtois and sign Kepa if Bulka was remotely anywhere near good enough. Outfield players I think its different because predominantly young goalkeepers if they are good enough, it is much much more clear to see than with outfield players. For example, Courtois at Genk, De Gea at Atletico and Oblak at Olimpija Ljubljana and Benfica. Sure there are the late bloomers too, which if anyrhing Marcin could have more a chance of being than establishing himself at his current younger age but still I mean I would be very shocked if Bulka makes the grade at PSG ahead of Areola or Kevin Trapp if he doesnt leave (who arent better than Kepa either). The fact we didnt try and push further contract talks with Marcin after November also makes me think the club do not expect him to go on and make us regret letting him leave. Yes he was decent last pre season and also did well in a few years at the academy but I didnt see anything from him that made me think wow he will be a first team player here. 

I agree 100%

only keepers in the world atm I would take over Kepa

Jan Oblak 
Alisson 
Ederson    

and perhaps

De Gea (and not last years De Gea)

finally maybe Marc-André ter Stegen ( and thinking bout it, nope)

that is it

Kepa's distribution is superb and I am not worried about his shot stopping

so many were spoilt by Cech at 1.96m and crazy reflexes

all those above are around the same size, 1.87m to 1.89m

except Alisson is 1.91m

Cuntois was super tall and he got beat like a rug low and his distribution is shit compared to Kepa

would I rather have peak Cech? yes but peak Cech is better than any other keeper in the world atm and he is retired (Buffon should hang it up too)

I am much more worried about backup keeper

Willie makes me nervous as fuck

finally, there were people here (and all over the web) advocating we buy Pickford, ffs

THAT would have made me slam my head though plate glass

people flipping out of £71m

pull 15 or 20m off that and no one would bat an eye

we pissed way 35-40m lost value not selling Cuntois a year earlier, fucked off 70m with Drinkwater, 65m with Wilian no sale, 50m no sale with Alonso etc  etc etc etc

15m or 20m overpay is drop in the bucket

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I agree 100%

only keepers in the world atm I would take over Kepa

Jan Oblak 
Alisson 
Ederson    

and perhaps

De Gea (and not last years De Gea)

finally maybe Marc-André ter Stegen ( and thinking bout it, nope)

that is it

Kepa's distribution is superb and I am not worried about his shot stopping

so many were spoilt by Cech at 1.96m and crazy reflexes

all those above are around the same size, 1.87m to 1.89m

except Alisson is 1.91m

Cuntois was super tall and he got beat like a rug low and his distribution is shit compared to Kepa

would I rather have peak Cech? yes but peak Cech is better than any other keeper in the world atm and he is retired (Buffon should hang it up too)

I am much more worried about backup keeper

Willie makes me nervous as fuck

finally, there were people here (and all over the web) advocating we buy Pickford, ffs

THAT would have made me slam my head though plate glass

people flipping out of £71m

pull 15 or 20m off that and no one would bat an eye

we pissed way 35-40m lost value not selling Cuntois a year earlier, fucked off 70m with Drinkwater, 65m with Wilian no sale, 50m no sale with Alonso etc  etc etc etc

15m or 20m overpay is drop in the bucket

Also if Kepa is here for the 7 seasons or whatever he signed for, hardly a bad long term investment. 71.5m for 7 season works out reasonable. Although we paid straight up but still looking at it like that generally dont see what the hassle is.

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

Also if Kepa is here for the 7 seasons or whatever he signed for, hardly a bad long term investment. 71.5m for 7 season works out reasonable. Although we paid straight up but still looking at it like that generally dont see what the hassle is.

we tried to buy Alisson and he said no

we offered £90m for Oblak he said no

cant make players come who do not want to

people laughed at Shitty paying £35m for Ederson ffs, no one is laughing now

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

we tried to buy Alisson and he said no

we offered £90m for Oblak he said no

cant make players come who do not want to

people laughed at Shitty paying £35m for Ederson ffs, no one is laughing now

Exactly. Personally after seeing Edersons first season at City surprised Benfica didnt want 50 or 60m. Generally think for a Pep team with his distribution on top of being a very good GK, 35m is an absolute steal. Especially when you look at Pickford costing the same and being nowhere near as good. Still think ter Stegen for 15m or whatever and Oblak for 16m is two of the best value for money deals in the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Puig will eventually be a beast

and

no we do not atm, especially RLC

Puig yes

And at least Kante will be back soon. Should give us some more energy in midfield

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

de Ligt would not have come here so I am not going to lose sleep over him atm

the 4 we should have made moves on last summer were

Lucas Hernández   (I still like him as a LB but he is so not leaving Bayern anytime soon, he will be their next superstar back)

or
José Giménez  (still at AM and will cost INSANE now, plus AM will never cough him up now that they lost LH and Godin)

or
Milan Skriniar    (renwed at Inter)

or

Éder Militão (now at RM)

leaving for summer 2020

Ibrahima Konaté <<<< my number one (as of now) 2020 target at CB (unless he regresses at RB Leipzig, which I so doubt)

and number 2

Rúben Dias at Benfica (I think he might still be there next summer)

number 3

Evan N'Dicka at Eintracht Frankfiurt

number 4

Boubacar Kamara at Olympic Marseille

number 5

Dan Axel Zagadou at Dortmund

Why the fuck aint you the one identifying players for us? I bet you do better than Marina at it thats for sure. We didnt get those players you mentioned cuz we aint got the balls anymore, not ambitious enough no more. Sure we will spend 70M for a keeper etc but can you see us get Griezman for 108? No fucking way.....but I hope that changes with Lamps at the helm. Sooner than later he will have to take this fight with the board, if he is successful that is. Good players you mentioned man.

11 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Why the fuck aint you the one identifying players for us? I bet you do better than Marina at it thats for sure. We didnt get those players you mentioned cuz we aint got the balls anymore, not ambitious enough no more. Sure we will spend 70M for a keeper etc but can you see us get Griezman for 108? No fucking way.....but I hope that changes with Lamps at the helm. Sooner than later he will have to take this fight with the board, if he is successful that is. Good players you mentioned man.

I would not have dumped £108m on Griezmann

I posted a couple weeks back what I would do for next year

only thing changed is CHO is renewing

go BIG

and its all paid for (or very close)

I can lay out the exact players after all the windows close

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

EAKVXZeUwAAn74G.jpg:large

First "title" of the Lampard era. The first of many hopefully

Even though its just one of these crappy one-game pre-season thingies, I like how we won the Rakuten Cup, named after BArca's kit sponsor, against Barca. Even though I am not sure we can keep it because Barca have another game? Anyway, its probably like the Emirates cup for which they changed the rules till Arsenal won it^^

53 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I would not have dumped £108m on Griezmann

I posted a couple weeks back what I would do for next year

only thing changed is CHO is renewing

go BIG

and its all paid for (or very close)

I can lay out the exact players after all the windows close

No no I used Griez as an example, he will get eaten in PL imo. Forget about Mbappe mate, there will be 4 other Clubs dying to outbid eachother and each and everyone will most likely offer him more in wages and what not. We are simply not that kind of player anymore in the market, but we dont have to be either. Plenty quality out there if we just can get them fast enough.

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We were more influential on the ball, but it was a bit concerning how we have had 3 games more than Barca and they still out possessed us with ease, and the fact it took us a while to retain the ball. 

Basically all barca players have this in their dna, they are tought this. We are like a young horse, will take time for Lamps to teach them how to jump and drink milk as JM once said lol. I liked what I saw, saw hunger and desire, we moved much better as a unit and pressed really well, especially first half. In 3-4 months we should be able to see progress in how we play and our weaknesses shown.....we will be fine. 1 aspect is for damn sure, we will show much more heart vs what we got under Sarii imo.

Don’t read too much into it. Friendlies, even against stronger opposition, are for preparation only.

Tackles are very light (to nonexistent) and players have a lot more time on the ball.

players who are doing ok now may struggle at the real thing. It serves well to show what does Not work tho.

Only a pre season match so getting fit for a long season is the most important thing, but what I like so far is seeing Lampard not being tactically rigid. I know some will say Pochettino is a loser for winning jack shit, but for me he is probably one of the best, if not the best manager in the world in reading the matches on the touchline, in-game and making changes to his team. And not only in-game, but he never plays the same tactics over and over again from round 1 to round 38. Hope Lamps has some of that in him too. 

15 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Only a pre season match so getting fit for a long season is the most important thing, but what I like so far is seeing Lampard not being tactically rigid. I know some will say Pochettino is a loser for winning jack shit, but for me he is probably one of the best, if not the best manager in the world in reading the matches on the touchline, in-game and making changes to his team. And not only in-game, but he never plays the same tactics over and over again from round 1 to round 38. Hope Lamps has some of that in him too. 

Yup Poch is rather good.....make no mistake when he fucks off, spurs will go kaput. He is their all and he does it good. Sooner he leaves the better, hope VAR keeps them in check and not get everything awarded as usual by the refs. Lamps will def mix it up when needed, he wont play one way and one formation at all times.