Kawasaki Frontale 1-0 Chelsea

Jase

22 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It says Saturday 19th in the original post but that was just a mistake. It should have said Friday 19th.

So the Admin/Mods of the forum actually done me a favour and allowed me to miss this below average performance and use the 2 hours of my life doing something more productive, which I did. Thanks lads.

These guys were a much stronger opponent esp for a friendly this early. Damião not long ago was starting for Brazil and rightfully so.

However, echoing what has been said, it is disappointing to see DD and esp bakayoko, doubly esp together in our midfield.

perhaps we think a buyer will show up if we play them, but why?! :) 

I am new to this team, so correct me if I am wrong. It seems teams are approaching preseason in two ways. ManU and Arsenal seem to be using it to condition many starters and evaluating more of their young players in practice. Chelsea is using the early game to evaluate as many young players and players that once showed potential to find the core of the team. I think it is pretty smart for a new manager to go this route and know that there will be lesser results than if he had more starters out there. It probably helps Lampard that he is not changing the offense much from Sarri, but just tweaking what he feels is necessary. It seems some managers have already made up their minds on young players before the preseason started.

If he has mostly starters out there for the second half of preseason and they continue to struggle, I would be concerned. I will be patient while Lampard uses games to find who he is going to trust in the regular season with his career on the line.

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The quicker Lampard realises certain players aren’t good enough, the quicker we will see improvement. 

I'd expect he already has his mind made up on some and those not in his plans will be marginalised when we get back from Japan. By then the main players will be needing to get more minutes into their legs anyway.

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The quicker Lampard realises certain players aren’t good enough, the quicker we will see improvement. 

This is true. I was disappointed to read some of the headline statements attributed to Frank about chances for some players but he has the right to judge things as he sees them. We'll just have to hope that he's right.

8 hours ago, Costa19 said:

I dont know.. last season i could enjoy a friendly because we had a new manager with a new philosophy and we could already see big development in our playstyle in the first friendly, after 1-2 weeks in training. I havent seen anything interesting in any of our friendlys this pre-season. The only thing i see is pure struggling. I just have a really bad feeling about this season. Im afraid we even wont make top 6th. Last time i saw pure struggling in our per-season was the season where we sacked José for the second time.. 

I dont think you can honestly say 'pure struggling' after watching the match from last Saturday.

I'll admit I didnt see Fridays match, but if you're saying that you only saw 'pure struggling' in 3 friendlies, I'm sorry but that just sounds like BS.

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Whilst on the face of it some players getting chances this pre season would appear "unusable" for most of us fans, it makes complete sense for Lampard and his staff to make their own assessments on every player. He'll have his own ideas of what he wants to do this season and a player we may not expect may suit his requirements.

I'm sure most people would have felt the same when they saw Moses back in Conte's first pre season and he then became a vital cog for a couple of years. 

Having said that I must admit I haven't seen anything from the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko that makes me think there might be a new example of Moses!

Exactly, although those two are not the names which have surprised me most. In my case I was particularly surprised to read of Frank 'opening the door' for Kennedy. A player who has never impressed me from the moment I first saw his YouTube videos. That said, your Victor Moses analogy is a good one. For Victor then, perhaps we can read Kennedy now. We'll see.

On 19/07/2019 at 5:17 PM, Robchels said:

These guys were a much stronger opponent esp for a friendly this early. Damião not long ago was starting for Brazil and rightfully so.

However, echoing what has been said, it is disappointing to see DD and esp bakayoko, doubly esp together in our midfield.

perhaps we think a buyer will show up if we play them, but why?! :) 

Donkeywater and Donkeyako should never see the pitch again in a Chels kit

they are both rubbish (especially Bakayoko, DD I would not lose my mind over playing in pre-season to shop him around, and, dog forbid, we may need him due to injuries) We were loaded at MF but less so now due to Kante still (or again, even though it is the same injury) and RLC knocked up, grrrrr, plus Ampadu going out (rightly so) on loan to RB Leipzig, which is a SUPERB loan destination for him.) Gilmour is not ready yet for the 1st team, hopefully next year and surely the year after that.

On 19/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

I hope he will start the official season with some wins, to gain trust from the players and the fans