St. Patrick's Athletic 0-4 Chelsea

Jase

After watching the 1st half. 

Mason Mount looks quite good. I like his movement and his passing. 

Tomori looks good but against this opp it is almost impossible to judge anything. 

Both Tammy and michy are poacher so they don't work well together.  

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Lol Bats has had a great half in terms of general play but couldn't finish, I'm use to the opposite.

Our general play offensively I thought quite poor. Michy and Tammy did not work well together. Hopefully this 442 diamond won't be part of our main formation. Never big fan of it

2 hours ago, Hutcho said:

That is a much stronger team than the first game.

Really excited for tammy mount and tomori. They are the 3 I could see pushing for first team so hope they do well

Reece is ahead of all of them in my opinion. That said, we probably need to carry three strikers so Tammy's path into the squad looks clear.

Giroud was impressive to me. Not that it was great defence that he was going against, but he is embracing the style of play Lampard wants.

Mount was impressive. He is really grabbing the opportunity to make this squad and running with it.

Too many players in the second half that are showing they might be in over their heads. 

It was about as fun a preseason match as I have watched in a long time. Mostly due to knowing these guys have a realistic chance of making the squad, now can you deliver on that opportunity. 

A few thoughts from today:

Tomori looked very good and comfortable in there today. I hope he'll be given some sufficient game time in the friendly against Barcelona because it would be good to assess him against significantly stronger opposition where we will have to defend and won't dominate as well as today. Hopefully he can make the step up because his ability and composure on the ball could put him above Zouma in the pecking order.

The two games have definitely showed much more intent with our passing. We should benefit from the work with Sarri last season with regards to looking to dominate possession and be comfortable on the ball, but it looks like Lampard is trying to quicken up the transition and get the ball up the pitch into dangerous areas much quicker. It should benefit Kovacic and Jorginho too, both were ridiculed at times last season as only being able to recycle and keep possession but both have so much more to their games and skill sets than that and both are very capable of playing at a quicker tempo and playing those dangerous passes to create chances.

I've been impressed by Batshuayi for both games. I understand he spent much of his holidays training and staying fit, and came back earlier than was needed. He looks sharp and hungry. His finishing wasn't up to scratch today but he's pressing well, working hard leading the line and his general and hold up play seems to have improved.

I cannot see there being a role for Bakayoko in this squad. He just simply isn't technically anywhere near good enough to play in a team that will look to control and dominate the game.

24 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The two games have definitely showed much more intent with our passing. We should benefit from the work with Sarri last season with regards to looking to dominate possession and be comfortable on the ball, but it looks like Lampard is trying to quicken up the transition and get the ball up the pitch into dangerous areas much quicker.

Which is essentially why I stated that if we were moving on from Sarri, of those rumored, Lampard would be the best fit. Aside his connection to the club, Lamp's plays progressive football. It's better to continue steering the ship vs starting over with someone like Allegri, Santo, or Blanc. Taking two steps backwards. 

This pre-season schedule is looking to work in our favor in terms of fitness and development. Starting out easy, progressively getting stronger opponents. 

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

He was with the Development Squad.

There were two games at Cobham this morning. One featured the development squad, the other featured players who are already a part of the loan army,  or who are perhaps set to become a part of it. Juan played for the loan team. Should we take that as a clue to the next step? Probably.

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Which is essentially why I stated that if we were moving on from Sarri, of those rumored, Lampard would be the best fit. Aside his connection to the club, Lamp's plays progressive football. It's better to continue steering the ship vs starting over with someone like Allegri, Santo, or Blanc. Taking two steps backwards. 

This pre-season schedule is looking to work in our favor in terms of fitness and development. Starting out easy, progressively getting stronger opponents. 

Agreed, I've very much been in the pro Lampard camp and whilst it's very early days I like what I've seen so far with what he and the coaching staff are trying to achieve.