Super Frank Thread

35 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Yeah I thought we was toothless after Jorginho left. 

The problem we have is that after Jorginho we don't have a better option. He is the only one who is creative. 

After that the false 9 shows how woeful we are in the striker department. 

My priorities continue to be striker and cb, Lb. 

I might add now a replacement to the Jorginho. We don't have a replacement for him. No one can help us control the game like him. 

The ironic thing about Jorginho is that even with him in the XI, we always seem capable of losing control of games easily - last 2 games the perfect examples. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

The ironic thing about Jorginho is that even with him in the XI, we always seem capable of losing control of games easily - last 2 games the perfect examples. 

Last two games because the man is over play. His form has taking a dip. And we don't have a replacement for him. 

That's why in the transfer window we should get another creative player like Jorginho 

4 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Last two games because the man is over play. His form has taking a deep. And we don't have a replacement for him. 

That's why in the transfer window we should get another creative player like Jorginho 

I wasn't talking about just the last 2 games but in general. We have Jorginho & Kovacic in the XI and sometimes we still allow games to get too frantic too easily when they should be controlling the tempo for us. 

Kovacic can play a similar role to Jorginho if we tweak the system a little. Buying another Jorginho-esque is a waste of money, particularly when we have someone like Gilmour in the ranks. If we're gonna get a midfielder, it should probably be a specialized defensive midfielder. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I wasn't talking about just the last 2 games but in general. We have Jorginho & Kovacic in the XI and sometimes we still allow games to get too frantic too easily when they should be controlling the tempo for us. 

Kovacic can play a similar role to Jorginho if we tweak the system a little. Buying another Jorginho-esque is a waste of money, particularly when we have someone like Gilmour in the ranks. If we're gonna get a midfielder, it should probably be a specialized defensive midfielder. 

Well if your going to play Kova in the role of Jorginho then okay, in that case play Kova and Kante as 2 midfield. 

Mount in the middle is not cutting it. I don't know if it's also a dip in form for Mount or he's better up front instead of mid. Because he used to do good in the position of Pulisic.....

In that case then yes a DM would be good. But I don't think its a prioirty unless there's an option that is available in the window that you cannot let the chance go. 

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Well if your going to play Kova in the role of Jorginho then okay, in that case play Kova and Kante as 2 midfield. 

Well, of course.

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Mount in the middle is not cutting it. I don't know if it's also a dip in form for Mount or he's better up front instead of mid. Because he used to do good in the position of Pulisic.....

What 'up front' are you talking about? Mount has been doing fine in the No.10 position right up until the last game, where he was really poor. Otherwise, he's been the key figure in linking up the midfield and attack, setting off the pressing from the front etc. A dip in form from him is to be expected, after all he's only 20 years old. 

One thing I really hope we bring back given our lack of threat in the air are short corners.

I never understood why people got so upset when Conte started us doing them, it was the right thing to do as ever since JT and Ivan have been phased out we've had little threat from corners. As much as Willians delivery doesn't help, the main problem is who's in the box, get Beckham to take our corners and they will still be dealt with comfortably 19 times out of 20.

Short corners are our best chance of getting any joy from those situations.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Well, of course.

What 'up front' are you talking about? Mount has been doing fine in the No.10 position right up until the last game, where he was really poor. Otherwise, he's been the key figure in linking up the midfield and attack, setting off the pressing from the front etc. A dip in form from him is to be expected, after all he's only 20 years old. 

When mount was playing where pulisic is playing. I thought he was doing that position greatly. 

Now he's part of the mid 3 with Jorginho and kovacic. 

But other than that yes agreed expected to have a dip in form giving that he's 20 years old. 

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

One thing I really hope we bring back given our lack of threat in the air are short corners.

I never understood why people got so upset when Conte started us doing them, it was the right thing to do as ever since JT and Ivan have been phased out we've had little threat from corners. As much as Willians delivery doesn't help, the main problem is who's in the box, get Beckham to take our corners and they will still be dealt with comfortably 19 times out of 20.

Short corners are our best chance of getting any joy from those situations.

However, we do have some players who are good at heading the ball. Tomori and Zouma are pretty good and have gotten close pretty much every game. A good delivery can also create chaos in the box, which is something that can result in goals. Cahill scored many goals from chaos in the box.

10 minutes ago, Fernando said:

When mount was playing where pulisic is playing. I thought he was doing that position greatly. 

Now he's part of the mid 3 with Jorginho and kovacic. 

But other than that yes agreed expected to have a dip in form giving that he's 20 years old. 

Whaaaat? I think you're overthinking this position thing for someone having a dip in form. Mount has been the No.10 when he's not playing out wide. And he's not even a wide player!

49 minutes ago, the wes said:

Lamps needs to sort out our defence and our home form if he can't sorry I can't see us finishing in the top 4 this season 

Defence to me should always be the first priority if you are about to begin a new era or whatever. You just cannot build a power house of a team without it. A strong defence goes a long long way.

54 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Defence to me should always be the first priority if you are about to begin a new era or whatever. You just cannot build a power house of a team without it. A strong defence goes a long long way.

Maybe back in time but the build from the back notion is outdated. In an era where high pressing and midfield domination is key, those are the areas you have to look at first.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Maybe back in time but the build from the back notion is outdated. In an era where high pressing and midfield domination is key, those are the areas you have to look at first.

Have to disagree with this.

A lot of people keep comparing what Franks building here to what Klopp started at Liverpool when he first came in but you look at Klopp's Liverpool team now and they only really became potential trophy winners when they strengthened at the back by signing Van Dijk and Alisson.

They had the high press, brilliant attack, reasonably solid midfield but lacked defensively and that limited their potential as a team. Joel Matip is a decent player but he is 10 times the player next to van Dijk and there is no comparison between Alisson and Karius. Take those 2 and even Fabinho out of their team and I doubt theyd of made back to back CL finals. 

Even Man City under Pep, the first year he had Kolorov, Zabaleta and Bravo as 3 of his 5 players in the defense. He signed Mendy, Walker and Ederson and they won the title the next season. They were better defenders, much better suited to playing defensively in a Pep Guardiola team in the way he likes his teams to defend high.

People dont look at their defences but if City had Zabaleta, Kolarov and Bravo playing every week still they wouldnt be winning trebles and if Liverpool didnt have Van Dijk and Alisson they probably wouldnt of won the CL. 

Good defence is still just as necessary in modern day football, regardless of if your an offensive minded team or a much more defensive minded team. Cant outscore teams every game if you cant keep goals out at the other end. Brendan Rodgers Liverpool back 5 or 6 years ago or so is proof of that.

14 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to disagree with this.

A lot of people keep comparing what Franks building here to what Klopp started at Liverpool when he first came in but you look at Klopp's Liverpool team now and they only really became potential trophy winners when they strengthened at the back by signing Van Dijk and Alisson.

They had the high press, brilliant attack, reasonably solid midfield but lacked defensively and that limited their potential as a team. Joel Matip is a decent player but he is 10 times the player next to van Dijk and there is no comparison between Alisson and Karius. Take those 2 and even Fabinho out of their team and I doubt theyd of made back to back CL finals. 

Even Man City under Pep, the first year he had Kolorov, Zabaleta and Bravo as 3 of his 5 players in the defense. He signed Mendy, Walker and Ederson and they won the title the next season. They were better defenders, much better suited to playing defensively in a Pep Guardiola team in the way he likes his teams to defend high.

People dont look at their defences but if City had Zabaleta, Kolarov and Bravo playing every week still they wouldnt be winning trebles and if Liverpool didnt have Van Dijk and Alisson they probably wouldnt of won the CL. 

Good defence is still just as necessary in modern day football, regardless of if your an offensive minded team or a much more defensive minded team. Cant outscore teams every game if you cant keep goals out at the other end. Brendan Rodgers Liverpool back 5 or 6 years ago or so is proof of that.

Yeah, they built their defensive blocks secondary after building their pressing, midfield structure and philosophy is what I meant, the party line is it should be done the other way round where I don't think that's true anymore.

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Yeah, they built their defensive blocks secondary after building their pressing, midfield structure and philosophy is what I meant, the party line is it should be done the other way round where I don't think that's true anymore.

Why do you make prioritizing from the back first sound like a very negative thing? :carlo: 

Regardless of the football style a team play, the defence is always key. You see it with City now. They play all this great football but can be found wanting defensively, especially right now with the injury problems. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Why do you make prioritizing from the back first sound like a very negative thing? :carlo: 

Regardless of the football style a team play, the defence is always key. You see it with City now. They play all this great football but can be found wanting defensively, especially right now with the injury problems. 

No what I mean Is times and demands have changed. For example Simeone's Atletico playing in the 90s would have probably swept up on La Liga's but in the modern day they've only won one. Teams press too well these days to neglect the attacking side of the game until you've mastered it defensively.

Who were the last champions that built their team from the back first and foremost? Even with Leicester it was all about Kante, Mahrez and Vardy.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

No what I mean Is times and demands have changed. For example Simeone's Atletico playing in the 90s would have probably swept up on La Liga's but in the modern day they've only won one. Teams press to well these days to neglect the attacking side of the game until you've mastered it defensively.

Who were the last champions that built their team from the back first and foremost? Even with Leicester it was all about Kante, Mahrez and Vardy.

I will wait till the end of Messi era to judge atletico in the league. Right now it is a bit unfair to everyone.