Super Frank Thread

27 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

What height has to do with anything? Usually all teams have four, five max tall players. All our CB's are tall, Abraham is 190cm and Alonso 188cm. When RLC is back another tall player in our squad. Liverpool had three tall players yesterday. Matip, VVD and Fabinho. City have one at the moment and they don't concede set pieces goals. Against Valencia we had three tall CB's, Alonso and Abraham at the pitch and yet we conceded set piece goal from Rodrigo 182cm. Yesterday Firmino 181cm scored between Christensen and Alonso both 188cm. 

I'm pretty sure I saw a stat that 8 of the last 11 goals City have conceded in the Premier League have come from set pieces.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The set piece defending though is woeful and at the moment is the biggest issue that needs seriously addressing. This is the one area where we do miss a Cech or Courtois figure as they are confident to come and attack a lot of corners and wide free kicks and in doing so it gives more confidence to the defence as a whole. Kepa, for a lot of his other strengths, does not command his area well enough at present and this doesn't help matters. 

It's also not all Lampard's fault, some of the players need to take responsibility at times. The Valencia goal was a basic error of players not going with runners and not enough players are attacking their areas well enough from corners, etc. However, it is down to Lampard to work out the best method moving forward because it could be a big reason for dropping multiple points this coming season.

The players need to take responsibility for sure but this set piece issue has been happening since the start of Lampard's managerial career, no? Can't remember the exact number but think Derby conceded a lot from set pieces last season and the fact that this seems to be a trend with Lampard, the blame is more on him than the players.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The players need to take responsibility for sure but this set piece issue has been happening since the start of Lampard's managerial career, no? Can't remember the exact number but think Derby conceded a lot from set pieces last season and the fact that this seems to be a trend with Lampard, the blame is more on him than the players.

Definitely a big issue, cannot argue that and needs some serious addressing over the coming weeks. It should take the highest of priority because theoretically some of the teams we have now in the next few weeks will struggle to contain us if we play with the intensity we did yesterday, but set pieces will give them a real chance to take points.

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

What height has to do with anything? Usually all teams have four, five max tall players. All our CB's are tall, Abraham is 190cm and Alonso 188cm. When RLC is back another tall player in our squad. Liverpool had three tall players yesterday. Matip, VVD and Fabinho. City have one at the moment and they don't concede set pieces goals. Against Valencia we had three tall CB's, Alonso and Abraham at the pitch and yet we conceded set piece goal from Rodrigo 182cm. Yesterday Firmino 181cm scored between Christensen and Alonso both 188cm. 

Does city run man marking? 

9 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

I mean, have you ever been to Burnley? Jesus Christ, it's like you've gone through a time portal and ended up in Coventry during the Blitz. 

lol

you made me spit my wine out onto my serval and the fucker bit me!!!

:(

His derby team last year ranked in the bottom 3 for expected goals IIRC.

That is, given the type of situations the opposition got into last season and how often, they were expected to concede the 3 highest number of goals in the championship.

Considering how much they actually conceded ( that didn't concede as much as expected) they actually ranked as one of the luckiest teams last season (again, IIRC, the difference between expected goals conceded and actual goals conceded was the largest in the championship, earning them the reputation as the luckiest team on the league).

There are differences ofcourse between Chelsea and derby.

Kante for one lol.

I'd be interested to see how we compare this season in expected goals to other teams in the premier league.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

https://understat.com/league/EPL

3rd highest expected goals in the league.

Man city well ahead of everyone lol.

Liverpool comfortably in front of us.

Man United close behind us.

9th in the league in terms of expected goals conceded. Sounds about right. Arsenal are a joke lol.

Questions still. I wonder how they translate set pieces into expected goals conceded.

1 minute ago, Supermonkey92 said:

https://understat.com/league/EPL

3rd highest expected goals in the league.

Man city well ahead of everyone lol.

Liverpool comfortably in front of us.

Man United close behind us.

9th in the league in terms of expected goals conceded. Sounds about right. Arsenal are a joke lol.

Questions still. I wonder how they translate set pieces into expected goals conceded.

The philosophy Lampard has is the type that is more effective the more quality is in the team. He's not one for underdog football so in that sense it's probably a good thing he's got the job so early.

Its a very complex system he likes to play, it could also be another reason he's going towards the youth movement as they will follow the instructions to the letter (and have the physical and technical capabilities to do so) whereas the older lot not so much.

On 27/09/2019 at 0:15 PM, milka said:

Dont get this. Our academys been successful for about 7 years now. Regardless of players making the first team or not. Why do it now and not years ago? Maybe playing the kids now is helping but everyone's known how good our academy is for ages. Just seems very weird. Like an add on to the womans tv thing. 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Dont get this. Our academys been successful for about 7 years now. Regardless of players making the first team or not. Why do it now and not years ago? Maybe playing the kids now is helping but everyone's known how good our academy is for ages. Just seems very weird. Like an add on to the womans tv thing. 

The endgame for the academy is getting players into the first team. We haven't done that in the past, not this many. We are just doing it now. Plus, it's the latest trend it seems. 

15 minutes ago, Mana said:

While it’s great we are seeing youth, we still desperately need class players to buy in the summer. 

If we can get a world class striker, cb and at least a very good left back and left footed right winger we will be in contention for everything again.

33 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

If we can get a world class striker, cb and at least a very good left back and left footed right winger we will be in contention for everything again.

Need a proper DM in place of Barkley 

46 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

In my opinion, the most important buys are a  world class CB and a world class winger. Then I would go for a left back, so Emerson has a better back up.I would spend very big on CB and a winger