Super Frank Thread

I see lots of similarities between Lampard's appointment and that of Glenn Hoddle in the early 90's. 1993/94 is one of the earliest seasons that I still can remember and Glenn was a very risky appointment at the time as he only had one year at Swindon and (whether it was having played abroad) had a much different view on tactics and style compared to most English managers at the time.

We opened ourselves up to play in an expansive manner (with some pretty average footballers at the club) and it took a lot of time and patience to get used to what he wanted (if I remember rightly we were second bottom at Xmas only above Swindon who had one of the worst Premier League seasons on record) but we improved significantly in the second half of the season to finish a respectable mid table and our run to the FA Cup final.

From then on we had Gullit and Mark Hughes, and from then on the early influx of 'next level' foreign players - Lebouef, Di Matteo, Petrescu, Vialli, Zola. Those foundations which pushed the club to the next level were built by Glenn Hoddle and he doesn't really get the credit for it because he left before any real success had taken place.and 

The Lampard appointment is similar. The money in the Premier League now makes it much more difficult to bully the market like we once did and the size of our stadium against our rivals similarly puts us at a financial disadvantage. Developing our own players for our first team is more vital than ever, but it needs someone willing to take that risk to put those foundations in place which Lampard seems prepared to do.

It will be a huge learning curve this season for the young players, for Lampard and for us fans who have probably gotten used to the immediate success and impatient nature of the club in the last 15 years. But football is cyclical and rather than trying to short term fix to catch up with Liverpool and City, a longer term plan needs to take place. City won't have Guardiola forever and they weren't nearly as dominant before he came in, whilst Liverpool are at their peak as a result of a long term plan that is now reaping rewards.

I do truly believe that a couple of steps backwards over the next couple of months, or even the season will lead to greater steps forward for us in the future.

42 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I still can remember and Glenn was a very risky appointment at the time as he only had one year at Swindon

He wasn't a risk at all it was actually seen as a quite astute appointment. When you think of who came before him David Webb was a stop gap and had only managed Southend previously. Ian Porterfield's previous managerial role was at Reading where he was sacked. Bobby Campbell was out of work before he became manager (he did a decent job under the circs) and before him that absolute prick John Hollins who was a player coach who then contrived to get us relegated despite having internationals like Dixon, Durie, Nevin, Dorigo etc.

17264374-0-image-a-5_1565775152375.jpg

The kids Chelsea will call on: With Frank Lampard vowing to stick by his young guns, here's the EIGHT academy talents lined up with a chance to help turn the Blues' shaky start to the season around

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7353339/The-kids-Chelsea-call-Frank-Lampards-eight-academy-talents-line-team-action.html

The Lampard babes  - Class 2019 :)

47 minutes ago, Costa19 said:

Big game for Frank.. Another humiliating loss and pressure will be immense. 

I really dont want us to become a punching bag under Frank. Hope he can deliver today.

look stop this negative bullshit.

we are on a learning curve, do you really understand what the situation is atm, we are work in progress.

first let's see if he can sort out the defence, all that's going on is not going to happen overnight, we are probably going to wait until next season and Frankie can bring in the players he want's.

atm we've just got to make do with what we've got.

27 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

He wasn't a risk at all it was actually seen as a quite astute appointment. When you think of who came before him David Webb was a stop gap and had only managed Southend previously. Ian Porterfield's previous managerial role was at Reading where he was sacked. Bobby Campbell was out of work before he became manager (he did a decent job under the circs) and before him that absolute prick John Hollins who was a player coach who then contrived to get us relegated despite having internationals like Dixon, Durie, Nevin, Dorigo etc.

When you look at what came before him I agree it would be hard to argue and my dad has said that some of the football during this period was abysmal, but his methods were very much 'continental' driven and probably ahead of their time, certainly within the confines of the English game. Such a drastic change from what may be considered the norm will be a risk initially and there was proof of this by how much we struggled in the first months. Chelsea had been in the First Division/Premier League for 3 or 4 years by this point so we had began to establish ourselves in the league. Many clubs in recent years have gone down a route from simply staying in the league to looking to evolve the club with a bigger name or different style of play to then see it backfire and they get relegated.

The club continued to persevere however because there was progress being made even if that wasn't reflected in the results. Hoddle gets a lot of respect and appreciation from older Chelsea fans who recognise the importance of his appointment in the overall growth and evolution of the club (something I believe within the media Gullit gets the more credit in this era when Hoddle laid the foundations for him and later Vialli to achieve success).

I would just like to think (and hope) that the appointment of Lampard will show a similar trend. I think the culture shift at the club to placing a lot of faith in younger, inexperienced players will take time and results/consistency will suffer initially but it will overall benefit the club in the long term, even beyond Lampard's tenure at the club.

we are on a learning curve, do you really understand what the situation is atm, we are work in progress.
first let's see if he can sort out the defence, all that's going on is not going to happen overnight, we are probably going to wait until next season and Frankie can bring in the players he want's.
Would there in principle be a situation this season where frank deserves criticism?

Let's say we lose 5-0 tonight. All the same problems from Sunday happen and we are just as naive as when we went 2-0 down.

Would that be dismissed as part of the learning curve? Or can we say ' you know what, for the players confidence right now it's important not to get hammered.'

I'm not saying we will get smashed, but whilst one half of the forum (including me) are strongly pessimistic. The other half can't seem to handle frank getting criticised. Even when managers should be.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Yeah just what i wrote. Another humiliating loss (4-0, 5-0 etc) will show that he might be incapable of doing so. We have had this problems since the very start of the pre season. 
Look, i love Frank. I really want him to succeed here! But we cant be happy with getting steamrolled only because we are "learning" and playing with "high energy".. 

3 minutes ago, Mana said:

I've said this before. This is one of the reasons why I disliked Lampard coming here. Because if we are in the same shit this October when I finally judge his tactics, I know I'm going to get it from the Lampard-lovies.

Just like Mourinho and his loveboys back in 2015 when we were in the shit.

You also criticised heavily Conte and Sarri and wanted them out but they both overachieved with this team and had instant success. 

36 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Would there in principle be a situation this season where frank deserves criticism?

Let's say we lose 5-0 tonight. All the same problems from Sunday happen and we are just as naive as when we went 2-0 down.

Would that be dismissed as part of the learning curve? Or can we say ' you know what, for the players confidence right now it's important not to get hammered.'

I'm not saying we will get smashed, but whilst one half of the forum (including me) are strongly pessimistic. The other half can't seem to handle frank getting criticised. Even when managers should be.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think this season should be as follows when assessing Frank's performance.

Top 4 or more = overachieving

Challenging for top 4 = par for the course

Finishing 6th with mid 60s points = below par but not a disaster given the circumstances.

Anything less = massive underachievement

I do think this narrative people are saying that it's okay if we finish 10th aslong as Mount and James play 40 games beyond ridiculous.

Firstly because it's subconsciously patronising them, even at this stage they are a lot better than happy clapping with the likes of Watford in mid table and secondly it's not like we are promoting 17/18 year olds without any senior expierence, "the academy 8" all have about 300 appearances between them and they're coming into a group of serial winners.

We should be looking at a top four challenge.