Super Frank Thread

11 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Is this another "Frankfurt aren't a big club" moment?

Dont underestimate teams you know little about. They consistently do well in Europe rather than get knocked out at the group stages like some of the teams you mentioned.

Marco Rose really done a fantastic job with them last season (got the job at Mochengladbach this summed) and I am quite surprised that they didnt go further in the Europa as in the matches I seen them play, they looked extremely disciplined, aggressive, more then capable of causing teams problems but Napoli had that little bit extra quality and knowhow.

They arent a pub team, not by any stretch of the imagination. Think this is something British football fans and media outlets seem to be increasingly encouraging or giving the idea off because the Premier League is the "best league" or as I like to think most profitable league in the world where clubs like Crystal Palace and Southampton can earn more from TV sponsorships than some huge clubs like Dortmund, Sevilla, Milan etc who actually compete in European competitions. Realisitcally take away the big TV sponsorship deal from the PL and it probably would be nowhere near what it was 10-15 years ago I feel although not neccessarily a talking point (honestly dont think it will ever be as good as it was from 2000 to 2010 period for me anyway).

Anyway, Salzburg are owned by one of the cofounders of one of the biggest brands in the world.... I mean they arent a massive massive team like Barca, Real, Bayern etc but people all around the world will see the logo and instantly recognise the red bull part of it and if they are football fans, manage to associate it with them or Leipzig, who are again part of this chain of clubs owned by Red Bull. People probably dont recognise pub teams logos.

Also considering how the scoreline probably flattered us at moments in our pre season game with them, I dont see how calling them a pub team is neccessary or how it reflects on the results or performance at all. Even at 2-0 I thought they looked better than us. Frank has a lot to do.

Marco Rose really done a fantastic job with them last season (got the job at Mochengladbach this summed) and I am quite surprised that they didnt go further in the Europa as in the matches I seen them play, they looked extremely disciplined, aggressive, more then capable of causing teams problems but Napoli had that little bit extra quality and knowhow. They arent a pub team, not by any stretch of the imagination. Think this is something British football fans and media outlets seem to be increasingly encouraging or giving the idea off because the Premier League is the "best league" or as I like to think most profitable league in the world where clubs like Crystal Palace and Southampton can earn more from TV sponsorships than some huge clubs like Dortmund, Sevilla, Milan etc who actually compete in European competitions. Realisitcally take away the big TV sponsorship deal from the PL and it probably would be nowhere near what it was 10-15 years ago I feel although not neccessarily a talking point (honestly dont think it will ever be as good as it was from 2000 to 2010 period for me anyway). Anyway, Salzburg are owned by one of the cofounders of one of the biggest brands in the world.... I mean they arent a massive massive team like Barca, Real, Bayern etc but people all around the world will see the logo and instantly recognise the red bull part of it and if they are football fans, manage to associate it with them or Leipzig, who are again part of this chain of clubs owned by Red Bull. People probably dont recognise pub teams logos.

Also considering how the scoreline probably flattered us at moments in our pre season game with them, I dont see how calling them a pub team is neccessary or how it reflects on the results or performance at all. Even at 2-0 I thought they looked better than us. Frank has a lot to do.

I totally agree with your point about most English fans looking down at leagues/teams on the continent for no valid reason. Just look at the money Villa/Fulham were able to spend immediately after going up.  

Salzburg do have a fine scouting set up, but they would be a challenge to the elite with such funds or were able to spend freely without FFP hindering them. Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy the mighty Palace fight relegation for another season instead.

I know it's only pre season but if it's a sign of things to come we won't be struggling for goals as badly as people predict.

I think Lampard is deciding to replace Hazard with an attacking collective and equal responsibility (as opposed to playing everything through one player as great as he was). We won't have a 30 goal season from anyone but we could get 10 goals out of 7 players which will go a long way to making up for a lack of an Auba or a Kane.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I know it's only pre season but if it's a sign of things to come we won't be struggling for goals as badly as people predict.

I think Lampard is deciding to replace Hazard with an attacking collective and equal responsibility (as opposed to playing everything through one player as great as he was). We won't have a 30 goal season from anyone but we could get 10 goals out of 7 players which will go a long way to making up for a lack of an Auba or a Kane.

The problem is we haven't played "real" matches. The two games against pl quality team that we played so far are a bit strange game. Barca was extremely lethargic, Salzburg played suicidal high pressing game against the better team from the get go. 

Hopefully we can have more " normal" match against Gladbach. 

Just now, communicate said:

The problem is we haven't played "real" matches. The two games against pl quality team that we played so far are a bit strange game. Barca was extremely lethargic, Salzburg played suicidal high pressing game against the better team from the get go. 

Hopefully we can have more " normal" match against Gladbach. 

I would say all the games bar the Irish ones were decent tests in their own right.

Fontale and Salzburg are in their season, Barca is Barca and Reading away could well end up as a cup fixture. 

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

If anything it's better because there's no reliance then on one player who could get injured/suspended/lose form. You only have to look at last season we initially kept pace with City and Liverpool when Hazard started the season on fire and once his goals dried up we fell back.

It boils down to players being able to step up and raise their game in Hazard's absence. Too many times (especially last season) the easy option was to give the ball to Hazard and hope he create something. Hopefully the players we have at the club have enough character, confidence and ego about themselves to take up the responsibility.

29 players

the 4 in bold red need to go (sold (3) or loaned <<< only Tomori, and if he doesn't do well this year, sell him next summer too, as he will be 22yo and probably never goig to be a top player for us at that point)

1 Kepa Arrizabalaga
2 Antonio Rudiger
3 Marcos Alonso
4 Andreas Christensen
5 Jorginho
6 Danny Drinkwater
7 N’Golo Kante
8 Ross Barkley
9 Tammy Abraham
10 Willian
11 Pedro
12 Ruben Loftus-Cheek
13 Willy Caballero
14 Tiemoue Bakayoko
15 Kurt Zouma
16 Kenedy
17 Mateo Kovacic
18 Olivier Giroud
19 Mason Mount
20 Callum Hudson-Odoi
21 Davide Zappacosta
22 Christian Pulisic
23 Michy Batshuayi
24 Reece James
28 Cesar Azpilicueta
29 Fikayo Tomori
30 David Luiz
31 Jamie Cumming
33 Emerson

What is the projected starting line up for us? Any word?

Christensen seems to be almost a lock now... Emerson is getting all the minutes ahead of Alonso in preseason too.

Anyone got any confident predictions? Is Mount going to be starting?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk