Super Frank Thread

20 minutes ago, communicate said:

Compare to last year, why we compete better it is simple. Against pressing willian and kova were our main way to get out from press, Kovacic did it multiple time on Sunday but that is it willian is gone. Can Werner do that? Nope. Havertz? Nope. Mount? Nope. So what other solution, wait till ziyech get healthy, long ball to Werner from Ziyech. 

This feels like such a narrow-minded view on how to beat pressing, especially when you have been drumming it so often. Having ball carriers or players who can dribble past players is one way but it is not the only way. You can beat it through 1 touch football (see Hazard's goal vs Liverpool at home in 2018) or play long balls to a target man (definitely not Havertz!) and build the play from there or play balls in behind the defence for players to run into. Obviously, it is not easy to beat teams that press and press well but there are different ways to do so. If we keep on thinking that dribbling past players is the only way to beat the press, then we are truly fucked. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

This feels like such a narrow-minded view on how to beat pressing, especially when you have been drumming it so often. Having ball carriers or players who can dribble past players is one way but it is not the only way. You can beat it through 1 touch football (see Hazard's goal vs Liverpool at home in 2018) or play long balls to a target man (definitely not Havertz!) and build the play from there or play balls in behind the defence for players to run into. Obviously, it is not easy to beat teams that press and press well but there are different ways to do so. If we keep on thinking that dribbling past players is the only way to beat the press, then we are truly fucked. 

Not only that, we were excellent evading the press under Sarri and Willian wasn't playing half the time.

On 21/09/2020 at 3:51 PM, Jason said:

Why do I feel like you're holding back on this matter? :lol: 

Sorry for some reason i never saw this.

Basically my stance is, i will (and have) accepted more reactive football when it has us challenging for the big two, but given Klopp and Pep's presence (as far as Europe goes we can add to Bayern to that) it's a big ask right now so lets build something, have some fun while doing it and be the team primed to take advantage once their cycles decline.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not only that, we were excellent evading the press under Sarri and Willian wasn't playing half the time.

Yeah. Despite the boring football, there was a structure to how we play out from the back, how we beat the press etc. 

IIRC, the sequence which led to Kante's goal against Man City at home under Sarri was also another example of working around the press. 

11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Sorry for some reason i never saw this.

Basically my stance is, i will (and have) accepted more reactive football when it has us challenging for the big two, but given Klopp and Pep's presence (as far as Europe goes we can add to Bayern to that) it's a big ask right now so lets build something, have some fun while doing it and be the team primed to take advantage once their cycles decline.

At the risk of provoking some people, do you think we are heading in the direction based on the football that Lampard has tried to implement over the last 13-14 months or so? Do you see a coherent idea coming into place? 

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

At the risk of provoking some people, do you think we are heading in the direction based on the football that Lampard has tried to implement over the last 13-14 months or so? Do you see a coherent idea coming into place? 

Pre lockdown yes, apart from the poor run in the winter i was enjoying the season, post lockdown not so much. It's frustrating because i genuinely thought after the Liverpool/Everton games we were hitting the next level. Has he overcomplicated things since lockdown? (he would have had a lot of time to think) Did the impending signings make him feel more pressure and with it could he have become more results based? 

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Pre lockdown yes, apart from the poor run in the winter i was enjoying the season, post lockdown not so much. It's frustrating because i genuinely thought after the Liverpool/Everton games we were hitting the next level. Has he overcomplicated things since lockdown? (he would have had a lot of time to think) Did the impending signings make him feel more pressure and with it could he have become more results based? 

He wanted that 4th place at all costs and got it. He got the team playing in a way that suited our best attackers, mainly Giroud and Pulisic. playing on the counter and pumping crosses to giroud. When all the signings are fit and available, have played together for a few weeks and we still look like shit, the questions have to be asked. but there really is no use jumpng the gun. With the signings arriving this late, it would always be a struggle to seamlessly integrate them. This current, stupid hectic season is another corona write-off, basically preseason for next season were we will be expected to challenge on all fronts.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I think there was an element of pressure. He basically went full Mourinho and prioritized results over anything else. Circumstances are not favorable right now but for our long term sake, hope to see some semblance of a plan, a coherent idea coming together in the coming weeks, months. We can't be going back to the kind of football we saw under Mourinho. 

Rudiger - will he go?

Where Will Havertz Flourish & Kepa's Final Chelsea Blunder?

Straight Outta Cobham: A show about Chelsea - podfollow.com

The Athletic's experts on Chelsea - Simon Johnson, Liam Twomey and Dom Fifield are alongside Matt Davies-Adams to take you behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge and bring you the very best insight on all the latest goings on at Chelsea Football Club

Host Matt Davies-Adams & The Athletic's Chelsea experts, Simon Johnson, Liam Twomey & Dom Fifield, reconvene following a mistake-ridden defeat to Liverpool on Sunday...

Surely Kepa has made his last Chelsea blunder, as a deal for Edouard Mendy edges closer, does Lampard yet know how best to utilise Kai Havertz & how has Fikayo Tomori fallen so far down the pecking order?

Plus, the guys look ahead to a League Cup game against Barnsley (and another opportunity for silverware this season) & next weekend's trip to West Brom.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

No one thinking about only dribbling, the discussion is why did we look more competitive last year when we kinda played the exact same team at sb, the only changes were tammy+willian = havertz, werner. 

I said one of the reason is we have one moreoption of beating pool press. 

16 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Look at Robertson here. He should be covered by our winger. He is nowhere near.

Also Dunk chance, our tallest player Havertz is covering nobody. This is all on Frank.

Honestly..these are the things that concern me,..more than our overall approach in games.

I was hoping to see more improvement from last season, with regards to this.

17 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Man down or not we should be more aware, drill these to the players, tuck it in, pack it in but with intelligence, maybe it will come later or so I hope.

But we were a man down....

Obviously we aren't going to have every Liverpool player marked :lol:

32 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

But we were a man down....

Obviously we aren't going to have every Liverpool player marked :lol:

But you can make life very difficult for them no? How many times have the old JM or Simone or Conte pulled it off? It needs to be drilled and coached.