Super Frank Thread

58 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Here’s what I genuinely expect next season: 

No more 343. With the recruitment coming in, I will not accept any shithousery when this team has already shown they are capable playing progressive football. 

We should now be comfortably closing games out. Granted, Pulisic has shown to be our only match winner this season, but with the inclusion of Werner, Havertz, and Ziyech, we now have game winners across the pitch. 

Organization on counters. Lampard will have had now almost 16 months in management and I expect him to improve on our organisation when our players are in the third and lose the ball. 

Defending set pieces. Whether or not we improve on GK, LB, and CB, defending set pieces should not be as much as a problem it was for us this season. This is simply coaching. The moment we reverted to man marking, this has improved ten fold. 

Lastly, IN GAME MANAGEMENT. I expect now, with a year of experience and the new recruitment, Lampard will take the initiative and address issues immediately in game before it’s too late. 

Long story short, Lampard has no excuses or hiding place next season. 

Lampard has to stop with the back 3 nonsense next season. It is fine if he plays that for specific games but he seems to have tendency to think 'oh, it worked in this game. so, let's use it for the next one too' even though the formation was used for a specific opponent. Things have always gone south in subsequent games when he has done that. Needs to bin that idea and stick with his overall plan!

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lampard has to stop with the back 3 nonsense next season. It is fine if he plays that for specific games but he seems to have tendency to think 'oh, it worked in this game. so, let's use it for the next one too' even though the formation was used for a specific opponent. Things have always gone south in subsequent games when he has done that. Needs to bin that idea and stick with his overall plan!

True. Just this morning someone said that 3-4-3 might be our best formation for the next season, and I could not disagree more.

3-4-3 requires 2 complete midfielders who can defend and drive through the opposition, we have none of that ilk.

All said, i can still see why we played that, specially with our LB options.

Enjoyed Lampard’s presser for once. Really laid into them. 

The switch off in intensity was well and truly unacceptable. At least it’s reassuring these players who failed their audition this season will either be benched or sold. 

40 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The switch off in intensity was well and truly unacceptable. At least it’s reassuring these players who failed their audition this season will either be benched or sold. 

That is the one good thing with Frank... he may get it wrong tactically but he is no pussy when it comes to dropping players for poor performances and not one of those motherfuckers can stand up to him because there is no player on Earth that the fans would accept standing up to Lamps. 

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Link?

5 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

One year into his regime and people are still reading so much into Lampard's pressers, especially post-match. Changes are inevitable, yesterday's match makes no difference.

Lampard is like a broken record these days whenever we lose a game. He talks about this problem, that problem and yet for example, he had chances - during drinks break and HT - to sort things out or change things around but nothing happened yesterday. The back 3 didn't work and has never worked against Arsenal and yet, he started with it and stuck with it. 

He was dominated tactically by Arteta. We never had a stable period of dominance after the first 15 minutes. It doesn't help that we had midfielders who couldn't give a forward pass without losing the ball and pulisic (our only high quality player in attack/midfield) getting injured.

Lamps has to develop some sort of system/style of play to help the players. This is what coaches like conte/Mourinho of old did. Conte tactics made Moses/Alonso look quality. This current way we are playing where we are so random, depending on how good our players are on the day, without any recognised system means, the only way we can get successful under Lamps is to get quality players all over the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

If you have Rudiger,Alonso azpi in your team what are you waiting for?We must sell and Jorginho unfortunately he isn’t for us . I would like partey instead of him.

we can’t defend for two reasons:

1.we haven’t defense obviously 

2 we haven’t a clear DM  we need a player like Matic etc.

we don’t have balance in our game .

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

He was dominated tactically by Arteta. We never had a stable period of dominance after the first 15 minutes. It doesn't help that we had midfielders who couldn't give a forward pass without losing the ball and pulisic (our only high quality player in attack/midfield) getting injured.

Lamps has to develop some sort of system/style of play to help the players. This is what coaches like conte/Mourinho of old did. Conte tactics made Moses/Alonso look quality. This current way we are playing where we are so random, depending on how good our players are on the day, without any recognised system means, the only way we can get successful under Lamps is to get quality players all over the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Another thing that I'd maybe point out is that Lampard needs to decide what he wants to do with the youth players. He played them right up until lockdown but since then, he's played them less and suddenly relied on the more experienced players. It hasn't exactly turned out bad for us but it's almost like a change of direction all of a sudden when he appeared to sacrifice long term gains for short term gains. 

Lampard is following the well trodden path of all English managers. Play till the bitter end have a stint in the BT /Sky studio and go into management utterly unprepared. Lampard went to the States for the money when what he and other managers should do is take a year off go and study other managers coaching techniques take a few courses and then go into management.

You get the impression Lampard can't take criticism and is very thin skinned and is almost dismissive in interviews. An injury hit squad facing Bayern next week things could get messy. Lampard has had his season ok an odd one in difficult circumstances but it's time fans started judging him on results and not his legacy as a player. You can blatantly see it in posts where fans are reluctant to slag him off and that's understandable to a degree but there's a song with the lyric '' Excuses have their uses but now they've all used up''. As far as I'm concerned it's Joe Bloggs manager not Frank Lampard Chelsea legend.

13 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Lampard is following the well trodden path of all English managers. Play till the bitter end have a stint in the BT /Sky studio and go into management utterly unprepared. Lampard went to the States for the money when what he and other managers should do is take a year off go and study other managers coaching techniques take a few courses and then go into management.

You get the impression Lampard can't take criticism and is very thin skinned and is almost dismissive in interviews. An injury hit squad facing Bayern next week things could get messy. Lampard has had his season ok an odd one in difficult circumstances but it's time fans started judging him on results and not his legacy as a player. You can blatantly see it in posts where fans are reluctant to slag him off and that's understandable to a degree but there's a song with the lyric '' Excuses have their uses but now they've all run out''. As far as I'm concerned it's Joe Bloggs manager not Frank Lampard Chelsea legend.

I was supportive of the idea of giving Lampard the job last summer, mainly because I felt with the loss of Hazard and the transfer ban it was a complete free hit for someone to come in who cares about the club and I'd expect to be prepared to lay down a long term plan for the club which would involve trying to integrate some of our youth players to freshen up the squad. Some of them the jury is still out but 2 or 3 of them will definitely carry on playing regularly into next season and beyond, and very likely 2 or 3 more will at the very least be squad players. That's a huge bonus moving forward for the club. None of them are at the level they need to be yet to be challenging for the league but a year under their belts will help on the way to that. Somebody like Rashford seems to be getting lots of headlines this season but he's been around the United first team for 4-5 years and is only really now going up a level. I think Lampard placing faith in a number of them at times throughout the season will be a long term benefit to the club.

To get top 4 I think was the absolute peak of what we as fans could have expected this year having lost our best player, and arguably the best player in the league. So just on a basic overall of the season I think Lampard has done a good job and achieved.

However make no mistake, next season we do need to improve. Even if they don't make many signings, I would expect Arsenal and Spurs to improve next season with a full season of their managers. Wolves have been there or thereabouts for two seasons now and if they can add one or two, there's nothing to suggest they won't be again. And United I expect will kick on based on their form in the second half of the season as opposed to the first. We've been consistently inconsistent throughout the season. It was enough this year, but it won't be next. 

I like the signings that Lampard has made and the Havertz potential signing could be a huge one. The presence of Lampard as manager seems to have been a great pull for all of them too which could be a big thing moving forward in our recruitment. I don't think Werner or Havertz would have been viewed as attainable targets a few months ago but the uncertainty of times and Lampard seemingly a very persuasive influence has presented an opportunity that the club look to be taking. These three signings will hopefully address one issue in our team that we're not clinical enough, especially against teams in the bottom half of the table which is a big reason why we've dropped silly points. Lampard now has to address that defence with at least a couple of signings.

And then there are a number of aspects of his coaching that need to be worked on. Particularly the defensive shape when we have the ball (because we always look susceptible to the counter) and defending set pieces. Maybe it's possible to develop a more solid shape next season if we have a better crop of attacking players. Sarri was able to do this in the second half of his season with Hazard in the team to bail out a toothless attack. But with the players coming in, we should have as strong a midfield and attack than we've had in years. 

I don't mind Lampard being versatile also, but like others have mentioned, I think he needs to decide on what his primary formation and set up is going to be and predominantly stick with that moving forward. I think it will be a 4-3-3 with a more defensive minded midfielder and two 'number 8's' but that remains to be seen. He's chopped and changed a lot this season and has seemed to overthink at times. He's in a difficult spot because we have a lot of players in the squad that have been brought under Conte to suit a back 3 system when I think he wants to use a back 4 moving forward. Sarri had the same problem last season. But that is something he needs to address with the personnel at the club. I think there is a ruthless streak there in him because lots of players have been dropped and/or hooked this season and he must show that this summer in the market.

I think if Lampard fails to address certain problems that we can all see from this last season in the transfer market, or does look to address them in the market and they are still apparent next season, then there will be a lot of questions asked of him and whether he'll be the right man to take us forward. I think for this season though, and given that we managed top 4 under testing circumstances, he can be given a large benefit of the doubt. But that won't be the case next year, and strides will need to be made.