Super Frank Thread

22 minutes ago, Mana said:

How about you explain why instead of just calling him that.

Because according to that poster we ended the sarri season better than the current one. 

According to him "none of our youth players are good enough". Despite mount being a mainstay, Reece showing his class, Tammy scoring 15 PL goals, Gilmour would have been played if not for injury.

This was also the same guy who said something along the lines of "anyone who thinks Reece is a footballer is an idiot". 

So basically no. I don't need to explain anything to any obvious troll and negative nelly.

Also, I have already made my opinion clear multiple times

So again, just gonna call an obvious troll as a troll. Not going to give him the bait.

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

The most worrying thing about these graphs is that City's poor season (in terms of results) looks like very much a one off.

Pep is gong to sort their multiple issues, and with a vengeance

Look at the giant teams

Barca --- been there done that, do not see him going back for ages, if ever

RM --- he will NEVER go there (Barca)

Atleti probably never, just cannot see it ever happening

Bayern, been there done that (his huge regret is no CL win)

Dortmund, NEVER (too small and the Bayern thing)

Manure --- just like RM, he will NEVER go there due to Shitty

Victimpool ----- he will NEVER go there

Chels, very low chance he would come here ever, not as low as the dippers or Manure, but still very, very remote

now for the 4 possibles

PSG, but wow, once (if) they lose Mbappe (and even Neymar) I would think he would not go unless they grab Håland, Sancho, and a shedload of other younger stars (maybe he would make a play for Sterling on top of all that) OR they come raiding........ US, eeeek

AC Milan I could see him there, but ONLY if they have far better backing (which IS likely to happen down the road). I can see his mind interested in that, though, as when he was a player, AC Milan were a massive billy big bollocks global power, the biggest or near biggest for a 20 year period (mid 80¨s to mid noughties) or so (In that time-frame 7 Serie A tiles, 1 Coppa Italia (always has been their weak spot, they only have 5 in their entire history, and the other 4 all came in an 11 year period of 1967 to 1977), 5 Supercoppa Italiana cups, FIVE CL's, 5 UEFA Super Cups, 2 Intercontinental Cup's and 1 FIFA WCC (so 3 times they were world champions (including back to back), and 3 other times they were runners up (losing to some superb SA sides, including those insane 92.-94 Cafu-led São Paulo sides who were back to back Copa Libertadores champions, back to back Recopa Sudamericana, won the1993 Supercopa Libertadores, the 1994 Copa Conmebol, and were back to back world champions <<< insane run, you will never see a SA team like that again, the best players all run to UEFA now, especially after Brasil won the 1994 WC and Brasilian footballers went modern global media powerhouse, which was perma cemented in the 2002 WC)

Juve, maybe, but he would have to be given full control, as free flowing footie is so against their DNA, plus he might clash with the Agnelli's, they are very intrusive and very headstrong (ask Conte, Allegri, Sarri)

Inter (but he would need to be given full control and REALLY backed, which I do not think Inter is capable of unless a multi-billionaire of Abramovich's size or more buys them)

I think it would be PSG or AC Milan (and only if AC have upgraded ownership) or he just stays put at Shitty for ages until he possibly goes back to Barca for his final gig

:

Clinching fourth also secures Lampard precious time to continue rebuild

https://theathletic.com/1951318/2020/07/26/chelsea-2-0-wolves-lampard-werner-ziyech-lampard-champions-league/

Timo-Werner-Stamford-Bridge-Chelsea-2-0-Wolves-scaled-e1595793115519-1024x683.jpg

At the final whistle, there were no big celebrations. Frank Lampard simply shook hands with Nuno Espirito Santo and then walked on to the Stamford Bridge pitch to do something he’s had surprisingly few chances to do this season: congratulate his players on a convincing, drama-free home win. On his way back to the tunnel, his eyes drifted up the East Stand where, among others, Timo Werner had just had his first experience of watching his new team, and he raised one satisfied fist.

There was no sense that Lampard’s job might be in jeopardy if the unthinkable happened and Chelsea did crash out of the top four on the Premier League’s final day; he has been too prominent in the club’s recruitment of Werner and Hakim Ziyech, as well as their promising courtship of Kai Havertz, for that to be the case. All three players are keen to be part of the team he is building, regardless of where they finished in the table.

Champions League football certainly helps, though — both in terms of boosting the budget for further reinforcements in the transfer market, and also to maintain the broader momentum of Chelsea’s rebuilding project. Lampard can now say without any caveats that he has managed what was always going to be a bumpy transition into the post-Eden Hazard era about as well as any manager could — and he could still cap his primary objective with an FA Cup win.

Premier League table

That particularly matters when it comes to approaching next season, when Lampard will be subjected to the true unforgiving nature of the Chelsea job. While he won’t be required to immediately lead his team to the rarefied air occupied by Liverpool and Manchester City over the last two years, Roman Abramovich will be justified in expecting to see a significant closing of the gap — and every signing that follows Ziyech and Werner to Cobham will raise that bar further.

Delivering a top-four finish can only bolster the faith of those he answers to that Lampard is the manager to oversee the construction of the next great Chelsea side. It also allows him to address the glaring weaknesses that have repeatedly come to the fore this season from a position of real strength and authority.

Manchester United beating Leicester City at the King Power Stadium rendered Chelsea’s victory over Wolves ultimately irrelevant in deciding the Champions League spots. It was a conclusion in keeping with a staggeringly underwhelming top-four race; 66 points would only have been good enough to earn fourth place in one of the last 10 Premier League seasons.

Chelsea also got there despite letting in more goals than any other team in the top 10 and more than any Chelsea side in the Abramovich era. Lampard has his own questions still to answer as a defensive coach but he has at least used his most chastening experiences this season to solidify his thoughts on what to change in terms of personnel. There was a real finality to his decision to drop Kepa Arrizabalaga for a match in which so much was potentially on the line.

2c3dfa59dd70385a1b38af8946b42f18.png

It would now be a major shock if the man Chelsea made the world’s most expensive goalkeeper in the summer of 2018 features at all in what are likely to be the club’s last two matches of the season — and a mild surprise if he is still at Stamford Bridge next term. Lampard has avoided criticising Kepa in public, even on his worst days, but his favouring of Willy Caballero against Wolves was the most emphatic statement of all.

Just as against United in the FA Cup semi-finals, Mason Mount and Reece James were the only representatives of Chelsea’s academy core in an older line-up against Wolves. Lampard has leaned more heavily on his experienced players since the Premier League’s resumption but there is something fitting about an academy product playing such a key role in the win that finally got Chelsea over the line in the top-four race.

It should serve as a timely reminder, if one were needed, that the thrilling youth movement underpinning many of this season’s brightest moments will continue to be a key element of what he is building at Stamford Bridge. If there is an eventual willingness at Chelsea to countenance selling Kepa at a huge loss, the sting will be eased by the millions that Mount, James, Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Fikayo Tomori and Billy Gilmour will save them in the years to come.

Mount, more than any of the others, has been the symbol of the Lampard era, featuring in all but one of Chelsea’s 38 Premier League matches and starting 32 times. His spectacular free kick to break the deadlock was the seventh goal of his debut campaign and his perfectly-weighted pass to set Olivier Giroud running through for the decisive second was his fifth assist; very respectable numbers for a 21-year-old, garnished with plenty of flashes that hint at greater things to come.

Lampard has been accused of playing favourites with Mount, sticking with him through his less impressive stretches of form and picking him a matter of days after two painful ankle injuries earlier in the season. But the reality is that Lampard’s success in managing the development of Chelsea’s youngsters this season has been founded upon his insistence that they earn every opportunity they are handed with unwavering effort.

Mount was one of three Chelsea players hooked at half-time of last month’s FA Cup tie against Leicester while Abraham, Hudson-Odoi and Tomori have all found minutes harder to come by in the final stretch of the season. Lampard pledged on arrival to pick his team based on merit and he has been unfailingly true to his word; this is a big reason why veterans like Olivier Giroud and Marcos Alonso have kept themselves in the frame of mind to make a real impact when called upon.

Quality arrivals this summer will only make Lampard’s task of squad management harder next season but the signs are that he is capable of finding the right balance. This season has been a learning experience for him as well as his players and the good news for Chelsea is that he has learned just quickly enough to keep them at Europe’s top table. Now, all parties have every reason to set their sights even higher.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/139-straight-outta-cobham/?episode=38

Is Kepa Finished? + Heading To Wembley Full Of Confidence!

Host Matt Davies-Adams & The Athletic's Chelsea experts, Liam Twomey & Simon Johnson, reconvene following a surprisingly comfortable win over Wolves on the final day of the season to confirm their place in next season's Champions League...

How much did Lampard's team selection say about Kepa's Chelsea future + could Ajax's Andre Onana replace him? Has Mount been Chelsea's best player OR has Giroud been our unlikely hero?

Plus, the trio look ahead to the FA Cup final against Arsenal and what a first managerial trophy would mean for Super Frank.

One positive aspect about having Lampard, not yet talked about so much in the previous page especially, is his own strength when it comes to luring players to join us. And especially the young ones. We have already heard Kovacic, Ziyech and Werner speaking about key discussions with Lampard himself, and Havertz will probably join them. They grew up watching him dominate statistics and win it all and when he directly approaches you, it might be the moment. Hazard - Zidane was the previous obvious chemistry. Not that it is the only thing players consider, but it is most certainly an advantage on our side.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Pep is gong to sort their multiple issues, and with a vengeance

Look at the giant teams

Barca --- been there done that, do not see him going back for ages, if ever

RM --- he will NEVER go there (Barca)

Atleti probably never, just cannot see it ever happening

Bayern, been there done that (his huge regret is no CL win)

Dortmund, NEVER (too small and the Bayern thing)

Manure --- just like RM, he will NEVER go there due to Shitty

Victimpool ----- he will NEVER go there

Chels, very low chance he would come here ever, not as low as the dippers or Manure, but still very, very remote

now for the 4 possibles

PSG, but wow, once (if) they lose Mbappe (and even Neymar) I would think he would not go unless they grab Håland, Sancho, and a shedload of other younger stars (maybe he would make a play for Sterling on top of all that) OR they come raiding........ US, eeeek

AC Milan I could see him there, but ONLY if they have far better backing (which IS likely to happen down the road). I can see his mind interested in that, though, as when he was a player, AC Milan were a massive billy big bollocks global power, the biggest or near biggest for a 20 year period (mid 80¨s to mid noughties) or so (In that time-frame 7 Serie A tiles, 1 Coppa Italia (always has been their weak spot, they only have 5 in their entire history, and the other 4 all came in an 11 year period of 1967 to 1977), 5 Supercoppa Italiana cups, FIVE CL's, 5 UEFA Super Cups, 2 Intercontinental Cup's and 1 FIFA WCC (so 3 times they were world champions (including back to back), and 3 other times they were runners up (losing to some superb SA sides, including those insane 92.-94 Cafu-led São Paulo sides who were back to back Copa Libertadores champions, back to back Recopa Sudamericana, won the1993 Supercopa Libertadores, the 1994 Copa Conmebol, and were back to back world champions <<< insane run, you will never see a SA team like that again, the best players all run to UEFA now, especially after Brasil won the 1994 WC and Brasilian footballers went modern global media powerhouse, which was perma cemented in the 2002 WC)

Juve, maybe, but he would have to be given full control, as free flowing footie is so against their DNA, plus he might clash with the Agnelli's, they are very intrusive and very headstrong (ask Conte, Allegri, Sarri)

Inter (but he would need to be given full control and REALLY backed, which I do not think Inter is capable of unless a multi-billionaire of Abramovich's size or more buys them)

I think it would be PSG or AC Milan (and only if AC have upgraded ownership) or he just stays put at Shitty for ages until he possibly goes back to Barca for his final gig

:

I personally believe Sarri has gone to Juve to prepare them for Pep, so he does the awkward transitioning style bit while Pep then goes in with a team fully ready to play the way he wants.

What really intregues/worries me is City first post Pep season, while long term his effect seems to wear off the immediate aftermath of Pep's tactical approach still being fresh in the mind but the sheer intensity he demands of his players not wearing a mental burden seems to create a perfect storm, Barca actually got more points under Tito than at any point under Pep (although lost badly in CL).

As you mention AC Milan I've actually for a while felt they may be Klopp's next destination, they seem more in line with Klopp's MO of taking over a fallen giants project.

14 minutes ago, Milan said:

Hazard - Zidane was the previous obvious chemistry. Not that it is the only thing players consider, but it is most certainly an advantage on our side.

the Pulisic and Cuntois parts aged poorly though

23 hours ago, King Kante said:

Beat expectations. I predicted 6th. So, 4th plus a cup final is way beyond. However, there is still work to do, I would say that things for SFL to do are: 

1) Buy a new GK

2) Buy a new CB 

3) Buy a new LB

4) Stop going completely gun-ho and leaving us wide open at the back. All he needs to do here is the easy to do 1 in front, 1 behind system i.e. when pressing have 1 CB in front of the attacker left up field and have the other CB or DMF sitting behind but in front of the next furthest up field opposition attacker.

5) Employ someone to coach the defense properly at set pieces. 

All accurate.  But man do we need to address #5 can't have another season filled with dread everytime we're defending a set piece. 

3 hours ago, Milan said:

One positive aspect about having Lampard, not yet talked about so much in the previous page especially, is his own strength when it comes to luring players to join us. And especially the young ones. We have already heard Kovacic, Ziyech and Werner speaking about key discussions with Lampard himself, and Havertz will probably join them. They grew up watching him dominate statistics and win it all and when he directly approaches you, it might be the moment. Hazard - Zidane was the previous obvious chemistry. Not that it is the only thing players consider, but it is most certainly an advantage on our side.

As if on cue, Werner has said Lampard was the main reason he joined us...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/28/video-exclusive--werner-interview-on-his-decision-to-join-chelse?cardIndex=0-0

Werner explains how important Frank Lampard was in his decision to move to England.

‘He [Lampard] was the main point,’ he explains. ‘We talked a lot about things like system, like how he wants to play and sees me playing, and how the system fits to me. He is a really nice guy who not only told me what he wants from me as a player because he wants to help me as a guy. He knows me now a little bit better and it fits very good between us and now I am happy to be here.

‘When you have a decision to go from your old club and you come to a big club like this, it was for me a dream which came true because Chelsea is a very big club,’ Werner says about the move in general.

‘I know of the players before when they won the Champions League with Drogba, with my new manager Frank Lampard, Petr Cech as the technical advisor, it is like a little dream for me but I want to become, not a same player like them, but I want to be part of a new era here so I will play to try to give my best.’

1 hour ago, Vytis33 said:

All accurate.  But man do we need to address #5 can't have another season filled with dread everytime we're defending a set piece. 

What is funny is that Frank said it is height issue.

For next season we are replacing Giroud 193cm or Abraham 191cm with Werner 180cm.

Also Alonso is 188cm. Next LB will be who? For sure someone much shorter. Chilwell is 178cm, Tagliafico just 172cm. Telles 181cm...

With two CBs we usually had 4 tall players on the pitch this season. Next season 2CBs and only Kai is tall with 189cm. So two tall players out just one in.

I do not think this is the issue because I documented how almost all set piece goals we conceded are from shorter players than what we have but if Frank thinks this is the problem than idk what is he doing?

But like I said City have just 2 or 3 tall players in the squad and it is not a issue.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

As if on cue, Werner has said Lampard was the main reason he joined us...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/28/video-exclusive--werner-interview-on-his-decision-to-join-chelse?cardIndex=0-0

Good man Werner.....

27 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

What is funny is that Frank said it is height issue.

For next season we are replacing Giroud 193cm or Abraham 191cm with Werner 180cm.

Also Alonso is 188cm. Next LB will be who? For sure someone much shorter. Chilwell is 178cm, Tagliafico just 172cm. Telles 181cm...

With two CBs we usually had 4 tall players on the pitch this season. Next season 2CBs and only Kai is tall with 189cm. So two tall players out just one in.

I do not think this is the issue because I documented how almost all set piece goals we conceded are from shorter players than what we have but if Frank thinks this is the problem than idk what is he doing?

But like I said City have just 2 or 3 tall players in the squad and it is not a issue.

It was most probably a smokescreen. Also Alonso and Giroud are unlikely to leave and will continue to start matches albeit not as regularly. But yeah we will be even shorter next season. Don't like it either. On the upside, Havertz is better in the air than most of our players apart from giroud offensively, so I can imagine us scoring more headed goals next season

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Our 2018/19 PL results vs 2019/20 PL results...

EeCtNl9UYAAy3Cl?format=png&name=small vs EeCtNl9U8AA1qoU?format=png&name=small

We have improved our results, slightly, against the Top 10 this season but fared worse than the last season against the Bottom 10.

God damn, 6 Losses and 3 draws away from home against top 10. Sarri really did have a pattern.

Chelsea’s season: Gifted youngsters, Abramovich commitment and dodgy defending

https://theathletic.com/1914050/2020/07/29/chelsea-season-review-frank-lampard-roman-abramovich/

FRANK-LAMPARD-MASON-MOUNT-1-1024x683.jpg

Chelsea have been fun to watch for the neutral but too inconsistent for Frank Lampard and their fans, writes Simon Johnson. The arrivals of Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech will surely strengthen them next term…

Best goal they scored: Fikayo Tomori vs Wolves

It’s your first Premier League start away from home against strong opponents and you’re playing at centre-back. A tough afternoon surely lies in store.

So what does the rookie do? He opens the scoring with a curling effort into the top corner from around 30 yards out, which leaves Portugal goalkeeper Rui Patricio completely helpless. He was not the only one taken by complete surprise by that strike.

Worst goal they’ve conceded: Gabriel Martinelli

Tough to choose just one because there are so many candidates, particularly from set-pieces. This debacle just wins because it came from a Chelsea corner during a game they were leading 1-0 against 10 men.

Martinelli ran on to a headed clearance and remarkably only had N’Golo Kante to beat. The France international fell over in comical fashion and the Arsenal striker just sprinted away to score.

Funniest moment

I wasn’t laughing but it did stand out. You don’t expect senior footballers to act like fans and take pictures as a memento of their visit to Stamford Bridge.

But after Lille had lost in the Champions League, I was surprised to see former Chelsea striker Loic Remy posing for a series of shots in front of a poster of himself outside the ground holding the Premier League trophy aloft back in 2015. Lille personnel had to come and get him to board the team bus home.

Most interesting person I spoke to

A lot has been written about Maurizio Sarri but no one tells more stories about the former Chelsea coach than Rob Green. The Athletic detailed how the ex-England goalkeeper was the only one who told Sarri exactly what he thought of him during a team meeting last season.

But from Sarri’s monotonous training methods to revealing how the Italian told Gary Cahill to keep quiet on a bus, Green’s honesty was a delight.

Moment you won’t forget

After being sent on a wild goose chase to find Ajax fans in a London pub, I took my seat for the Champions League group game at Stamford Bridge in time for the second half.

Good job I was sober, otherwise I might not have believed what I was seeing, particularly when referee Gianluca Rocchi sent off Daley Blind and Joel Veltman, plus awarded Chelsea a penalty, for incidents during the same passage of play.

Strangest quote

“You look to the performance of Mason Mount, the performance of Tammy Abraham, you look to the performance even of Andreas Christensen, and for matches of this dimension, you need a little bit more.”

Jose Mourinho’s critique of the youngsters’ performances while working as a pundit left coach Frank Lampard angered and dumbfounded in equal measure. Manchester United had beaten Chelsea 4-0 but the scoreline wasn’t a reflection of how the trio played.

Biggest controversy

For this one, I’m going to nominate… myself. Yes, that’s right, me. Why? Well before the restart last month, my colleague Liam Twomey and I were asked to debate what team should start the Aston Villa match for a piece. Not only did I not select Mateo Kovacic, I also declared he shouldn’t be regarded as Chelsea’s player of the year. Liam was shocked and many readers were too. I won’t change my mind though!

Player who should get more credit than he does

Olivier Giroud. Has been the ultimate professional this season. There aren’t many World Cup winners who would have kept as quiet as he did when Lampard was leaving the striker out of the team regularly.

Then when Lampard finally gave him a run in the side, Giroud repaid the coach with key goals and performances. The France international was so good, he ended the season increasingly as first choice.

Biggest question answered this season

I was going to talk about the academy graduates being good enough for the first team and then owner Roman Abramovich came to mind.

Surely any doubts about his level of commitment have been eased. During the season it emerged he put another £247 million into the coffers. Plus he delivered on a promise to Lampard over making big signings by sanctioning moves for Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner.

Biggest question to answer next season

If Chelsea are to become a genuine force at the top of the Premier League again, they have to become more consistent. Lampard has moaned about it for much of the campaign and for good reason.

There have been notable wins against Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and a League double over Tottenham. Yet struggling sides like West Ham (twice), Bournemouth and Newcastle have got the better of them. Champions don’t let that happen.

Moment that summed up the season

Chelsea 4 Ajax 4. One of the most bonkers games in Chelsea’s history, but what happened during a crazy 90 minutes encapsulates what we have seen throughout 2019-20.

On the negative front, there was poor defending from set-pieces, Kepa Arrizabalaga was unconvincing in goal and the midfield struggled against quicker opposition.

But there were so many positives too: Lampard’s entertaining style, youth players coming to the fore and (pre-lockdown, at least) a home crowd reinvigorated.

Who can break through next season?

Tino Anjorin. Don’t judge the teenager on the wild, reckless shot on his Premier League debut against Everton in March which looked more likely to nudge a plane during its descent into Heathrow than threaten the goal.

Anjorin’s style is similar to that of Ruben Loftus-Cheek, but he doesn’t have the history of injury problems to stagnate his progress. The club gave him a five-year contract in June for good reason.

Who needs to leave the club? 

Kepa Arrizabalaga. After paying Athletic Bilbao a world-record fee for a goalkeeper of £71.6 million just two years ago, it is going to be very difficult for Chelsea to get themselves out of this predicament.

However, some resolution needs to be explored because the Spain international is clearly struggling in the Premier League and doesn’t command his area like predecessors Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois. Opponents will continue to target this weakness.

What’s most exciting about next season?

Transfers always get the fans talking and Chelsea sent out a real signal of intent by acquiring Werner and Ziyech before the summer window officially opened.

Chelsea have lacked a top centre-forward since Diego Costa left in 2017 so all eyes will be on Werner to see if he can fill the void. The team have lacked creativity against defensive outfits so Ziyech’s flair will be key. They certainly won’t be dull to watch.

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Based on this season and new signing, I can see us playing more 343 next season. It kinda fit our personel more. 

I feel 3-4-3 would be our least prefered system. Given our midfield - mount, rlc, kai, we would need to play a system making the best use of 8s and 10s rather than 2 6s.