Super Frank Thread

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Back in 2010 we were much better suited to man marking with the players we had who were both strong in the air and kept the right levels of concentration and anticipation to mark players properly. 

We have absolutely no one at present organising that defence on the pitch and taking the responsibility to do so.

Right but my point was even with the likes of Terry, Carvalho, Ivanovic, Alex, Ballack, Drogba, etc. We conceded loads of goals under Ancelotti from set pieces given the zonal marking approach, when the players were so used to Mourinho's tight marking tactic. 

The fact this wasn't an issue under Conte or Sarri, along with what I've witnessed this season, has me believing it is more to do with coaching than who we have at our disposal. 

It's virtually every time there's a set piece now, the opposition has a chance at goal. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Right but my point was even with the likes of Terry, Carvalho, Ivanovic, Alex, Ballack, Drogba, etc. We conceded loads of goals under Ancelotti from set pieces given the zonal marking approach, when the players were so used to Mourinho's tight marking tactic. 

The fact this wasn't an issue under Conte or Sarri, along with what I've witnessed this season, has me believing it is more to do with coaching than who we have at our disposal. 

It's virtually every time there's a set piece now, the opposition has a chance at goal. 

Lampard has to find a solution to it. I feel like we've looked susceptible the last couple of years to set pieces but I think it's really come to the fore this season. 

A lot of the time though is the failure to deal with the second ball. That's players not having the right mentality and concentration to anticipate the danger around them.

When our centre backs are amongst the worst culprits for ball watching and a lack of anticipation (and that's not even just reserved for set piece defending), we're in big trouble.

8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

It is coaching, there are defences out there that are far inferior but they do the basics right, they are coached well enough. Our lot look like 4 headless chickens.

Lampard on the set-piece problems...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/03/frank-lampard-says-chelsea-could-solve-set-piece-problem-by-signing-tall-players

“We’ve looked at set pieces this season,” Chelsea’s manager said. “When we came into the club we looked at the stats from last season. Last season we were bottom of the league defending set plays, in terms of teams getting big chances against us, and second bottom in attacking. We haven’t improved much this year.

“I really don’t like to talk about my own playing days but we didn’t work much at all on set pieces and there were a few reasons, mainly John Terry, Gary Cahill, Didier Drogba, Michael Ballack and [Branislav] Ivanovic. You’d stick it in an area and they would defend it or score goals.

“With Liverpool, I remember a lot of talk about them and set pieces a few seasons ago. They were zonal and conceding a lot. They signed Virgil van Dijk and he heads out everything. There’s a huge relation to personnel and if you don’t have that size, the main thing is trying to compete as hard as you can and making it difficult for other teams to score.

“But I’m not making excuses because we haven’t done that well enough and that has to improve. When you look at who you might bring in with the balance of the squad it is certainly something to take into account.”

I just did a research by watching all highlights this season.

23 from 62 goals we conceded this season are from set pieces. 

37%! 

And saying that height is the reason is complete bulllshit.

After set pieces we conceded goals from: Firmino 181cm, Ndidi 181cm, Rodrigo 180cm, Lerma 179cm...

7 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

37%! 

After set pieces we conceded goals from: Firmino 181cm, Ndidi 181cm, Rodrigo 180cm, Lerma 179cm...

Mind checking the record of Lampard's Derby? :ph34r:

Also some stats from the link above:

Conceded from:

• Open Play - 21 (only Leicester, Man City, Man United and Liverpool have conceded less)
  • Counter Attacks - 6 (only Aston Villa and Burnley have conceded more)
  • Set Pieces - 12 (only Aston Villa, Arsenal and Norwich have conceded more)

Big Chances

• Created - 59 (only Man City and Liverpool have created more)
  • Conversion % - 33.72 (only Norwich, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Burnley and Brighton have a worse rate)

Also some stats from the link above:
Conceded from:
  • Open Play - 21 (only Leicester, Man City, Man United and Liverpool have conceded less)
  • Counter Attacks - 6 (only Aston Villa and Burnley have conceded more)
  • Set Pieces - 12 (only Aston Villa, Arsenal and Norwich have conceded more)
Big Chances
  • Created - 59 (only Man City and Liverpool have created more)
  • Conversion % - 33.72 (only Norwich, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Burnley and Brighton have a worse rate)
So we still have conceded less from set pieces under Frank compared to Sarri. But the season still is not over.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

37%! 

Well yes, it is not just height. It is also down to our players also being massive pussies (Kepa, AC) and/or incompetent at defending set pieces (Rudi, Tomori, Tammy, Zouma.) However, saying height is the issue is more politically correct for a manager than saying a player is a pussy or incompetent. 

37%! 
By the way, Sarri said last season that Alonso is essential for us because of his height and that is why he needs to play.
We conceded more from set pieces in PL last season under Sarri than under Lampard this season, but season still is going on

Seeing Rudi unnecessarily give WHU a corner Wednesday got me thinking, surely there's also ways we can minimize the corners we give away, prevention better than cure and all that.

How many goals have we conceded from open play crosses this season? There's Martial's at The Bridge, Richarlison's at Goodison, I imagine a few more somewhere but we don't seem near as vulnerable from them as we do some corners, so maybe play percentages and strategically let more crosses in instead of going all out to block them which often concedes a corner. And then ofcourse there's the obvious one, try everything to prevent a corner, stretch that little bit harder to try and prevent one, even if it means a throw in or even giving the ball back to the opponent's in play. Would be like what teams use to do when facing Stoke in the Delap days, most teams were so petrified of his long throws they would happily take their chances facing a corner or even give Stoke possesion back if it truly came to it.

Yes we need to do a lot better on corners but we should also try and minimize the amount given away.

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Seeing Rudi unnecessarily give WHU a corner Wednesday got me thinking, surely there's also ways we can minimize the corners we give away, prevention better than cure and all that.

How many goals have we conceded from open play crosses this season? There's Martial's at The Bridge, Richarlison's at Goodison, I imagine a few more somewhere but we don't seem near as vulnerable from them as we do some corners, so maybe play percentages and strategically let more crosses in instead of going all out to block them which often concedes a corner. And then ofcourse there's the obvious one, try everything to prevent a corner, stretch that little bit harder to try and prevent one, even if it means a throw in or even giving the ball back to the opponent's in play. Would be like what teams use to do when facing Stoke in the Delap days, most teams were so petrified of his long throws they would happily take their chances facing a corner or even give Stoke possesion back if it truly came to it.

Yes we need to do a lot better on corners but we should also try and minimize the amount given away.

There will always be the odd stupid corner given away like the one Rudiger did but we're actually very good at minimising corners. 

We're second to Man City who average around 2.8 corners a game, with 3.4 ourselves. I believe the next best after this is Wolves with 4, and the average is pushing 5.5.

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Well yes, it is not just height. It is also down to our players also being massive pussies (Kepa, AC) and/or incompetent at defending set pieces (Rudi, Tomori, Tammy, Zouma.) However, saying height is the issue is more politically correct for a manager than saying a player is a pussy or incompetent. 

Lampard would be better off saying "yeah, we have a problem and we're gonna try and fix it" or something along those lines. It's obvious that we have a problem with set pieces that even a blind person could tell. By saying it's a height problem, it makes him look silly and makes us as if we have a team of dwarves while others have a team of giants. It's even more ironic when you consider the first two players Lampard convinced to sign under his reign are only 180cm and 181cm in height. Hardly giants, are they? 

Lampard would be better off saying "yeah, we have a problem and we're gonna try and fix it" or something along those lines. It's obvious that we have a problem with set pieces that even a blind person could tell. By saying it's a height problem, it makes him look silly and makes us as if we have a team of dwarves while others have a team of giants. It's even more ironic when you consider the first two players Lampard convinced to sign under his reign are only 180cm and 181cm in height. Hardly giants, are they? 

Finding wingers that are tall and good is very difficult. With Werner, yes, there are taller strikers available that are also good.

What did you think of Sarri that said that he likes Emerson as a player, but because we struggle with set pieces, we need Alonso as a LB? Sarri said that we have many small players and Alonso is essential because of his height. So two coaches in a row saying that haha

12 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Finding wingers that are tall and good is very difficult. With Werner, yes, there are taller strikers available that are also good.

What did you think of Sarri that said that he likes Emerson as a player, but because we struggle with set pieces, we need Alonso as a LB? Sarri said that we have many small players and Alonso is essential because of his height. So two coaches in a row saying that haha

If Lampard really thinks height is the issue (god, help us!), then say it in private and not in the public. But he did the latter and because he has done it, it practically leaves him and us open to be ridiculed because it sounds silly and it is quite silly. If Lampard thinks height is the issue, then why is he chasing a new left back for example? Chilwell, Telles and Tagliafico are all shorter than Alonso. Why is he not going after a taller RB? 

Take Liverpool for example. Okay, they have Van Dijk and Alisson as two huge pillars in their defence but off the top of my head, apart from those two plus Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Fabinho, their squad aren't exactly littered with tall, giant players. In terms of height comparison, think we might well be similar to theirs but that isn't an issue for one while that is apparently a problem for the other. 

If Lampard really thinks height is the issue (god, help us!), then say it in private and not in the public. But he did the latter and because he has done it, it practically leaves him and us open to be ridiculed because it sounds silly and it is quite silly. If Lampard thinks height is the issue, then why is he chasing a new left back for example? Chilwell, Telles and Tagliafico are all shorter than Alonso. Why is he not going after a taller RB?  Take Liverpool for example. Okay, they have Van Dijk and Alisson as two huge pillars in their defence but off the top of my head, apart from those two plus Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Fabinho, their squad aren't exactly littered with tall, giant players. In terms of height comparison, think we might well be similar to theirs but that isn't an issue for one while that is apparently a problem for the other.  

Today I read on Twitter that Alonso wins 56% of his areal duels, while Digne wins 60% and Chilwell wins 58%. Zouma wins 74% of his aerial duels (in my opinion our best defender and I say that often here on this platform), while Rüdiger only wins 58% of his duels and AC the same. Mount only wins 18%. Our players are just not smart enough with timing, positional awareness and positioning of body do they could win many tackles. Height plays also a role with Azpi and Mount for instance. There is no coach in the world that could teach them that when they are this old. You can't teach the basics to a 29 year old Rüdiger, who played midfielder and striker til he was 16 years old. Not going to happen.

Sarri failed to make us better at set pieces too. Our players are not good enough.

And Sarri said height is an issue too. God help him too.

The difference in Rüdiger and VVD is that VVD has high level of football IQ. He knows positioning, he knows how to use his height to his advantage and his timing is also great. Fabinho also has high level of football IQ and knows in which moment to jump and where he should position himself to do so. Alonso is just too stupid for that even though he is more or less the same height. You can't make Rüdiger into VVD just like you can't make Willian into prime Hazard. Just not going to work