Super Frank Thread

15 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

It's the decision-making in the third that is costing us. 

Tammy, Mount, and CHO you can forgive because of their inexperience. Willian was never known of having end product. (The rumor Lampard wants to extend his contract should hopefully just be that. A rumor) 

So is it really that surprising were that inconsistent? 

But aim for the goal at least. Its these chances that go over the bar that are so frustrating 

8 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

But aim for the goal at least. Its these chances that go over the bar that are so frustrating 

Young, inexperienced players along with Willian. Mr. No end product. 

Again, what are you expecting? 

14 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Young, inexperienced players along with Willian. Mr. No end product. 

Again, what are you expecting? 

Maybe be all that but it's not like theyve never played a game before. Know it's hard but 19 shots and a loss is annoying.

Just now, Laylabelle said:

Maybe be all that but it's not like theyve never played a game before. Know it's hard but 19 shots and a loss is annoying.

Hence why Lampard wasn't to improve the attack. Adding Werner and Sancho to the side changes things completely. 

Roy Keane football's biggest misanthrope this is a man when he was Sunderland manager held a barbeque and didn't talk to any of his players or wives ! has clashed with professional scouser Jamie Carragher. Now normally I would take no notice of the whiney twat but I actually think he's got a point.

OGS has been getting a lot of stick from the media yet as Keane pointed out Lampard is getting none quite the opposite in fact. Of course Lamps did walk into a job where he knew our best player had gone and the transfer ban was imposed but he took the job so he was well aware of he task he faced. Halfway through the season and even though we're fourth lets be honest it's down to everyone else being woeful. Eight defeats when you look at them it's extremely worrying 4-0 against Man United (don't mention how unlucky we were please it's still a bad defeat) Liverpool and City  then when you look at defeats to West Ham, Southampton, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Everton five mid table-lower placed teams that's piss poor no denying it.

A lot of my mates are confident we'll beat Arsenal comfortably tomorrow I'm not so sure if the likes of Bournemouth and Southampton and fucking West Ham can beat us at the Bridge then Arsenal are more than capable of doing it.

OGS has had transfer windows to put things right and mold his team, Frank hasn't.

I'm critical of Frank in certain things he does, like constantly play players under-performing like Mount to name one. If the board want FL to remain then they must simply back him and the targets he wants. No cut corners, no shit middle of the road signings for the sake of it and if we make top 4 to spend and spend big, we will not bridge the gap to City and Liverpool if we do not spend big and it has to be spending massive amounts. If we don't this continual fight for top 4 will keep happening and the roller coaster of results will continue.

4 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

we will not bridge the gap to City and Liverpool if we do not spend big and it has to be spending massive amounts.

Those days of the blank chequebook are over it's all down to spending whatever money is available wisely. Liverpool and City won't be caught for the next 5-10 years they are going to dominate English football it's a massive catch up process for everyone else. Just take the weekend results we lose, Leicester lose, Arsenal draw, Spurs draw and Liverpool piss all over United there's no one within a mile of the top two and I can't see that changing.

58 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Those days of the blank chequebook are over it's all down to spending whatever money is available wisely. Liverpool and City won't be caught for the next 5-10 years they are going to dominate English football it's a massive catch up process for everyone else. Just take the weekend results we lose, Leicester lose, Arsenal draw, Spurs draw and Liverpool piss all over United there's no one within a mile of the top two and I can't see that changing.

All it takes is ambition and know how and we there within 2 seasons, continue the way we have been for the last 3-5 years and as you said it will be a constant battle.

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Doesn't take as much as you think. Two years ago no one was given a prayer of catching City and it happened. Furthermore Liverpool's core squad are in their late 20s, unless they manage to find replacements of quality and chemistry they will have a transition period within 3/4 years (that's why I was surprised Klopp extended).

The academy players are our golden ticket back to the top, it's allowed us to fill holes and focus on more specific players in the market.

I agree with most all, but I do not think it will take 10 years.

Fast forward to 2025-26 season (so 5 years and a few months from now)

the following are all too old or almost there at that point to be top class players at the level they are now

Shitty

Laporte 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Stones 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Mendy 31 (turns 32 in the summer after)

Walker 35 (turns 36 right at the very end)

João Cancelo 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Fernandinho 40 (turns 41 right at the end)

Ilkay Gündogan 35 in October 2025

Kevin De Bruyne 34 (35 in the summer after)

Raheem Sterling 31 in Dec 2025

Bernardo Silva  31 (32 the summer after)

Riyad Mahrez  35 in February 2026

Sergio Agüero  37 (38 beginning of June 2026)

Victimpool

Virgil van Dijk 34 (35 in summer 2026)   
Joel Matip    34 (35 in summer 2026)
Dejan Lovren    36 (37 in summer 2026)   
Andrew Robertson   31 (32 in March 2026)  
Nathaniel Clyne    34 (35 mid season)    
Fabinho    31 (32 in October 2025)   
Georginio Wijnaldum    34 (35 in November 2025)   
Naby Keïta    30 (31 in January 2026)   
Jordan Henderson    35 (36 right after the season ends)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain   32 (33 the summer of 2026)
James Milner    39 (40 in mid season)    
Adam Lallana   37 (38 in May 2026)    
Sadio Mané    33 (34 in April 2026)
Takumi Minamino    30 (31 in mid season)   
Mohamed Salah    33 (34 in June right after the season ends)
Xherdan Shaqiri    34 in October 2025
Roberto Firmino    34 in October 2025    
Divock Origi   30 (31 in April 2026)

that is basically 80+% of the core of both teams that needs to be replaced or is almost at the point of being too old to be top class

some (9, 10 is you count Firmino as an SS) of those players are now the best or top 2 or 3 (or at least top 5-6) in the world too

Laporte 

Kevin De Bruyne 

Raheem Sterling 

Bernardo Silva  

Virgil van Dijk 
Andrew Robertson    
Fabinho   
Sadio Mané     
Mohamed Salah

at transfer rate prices between now and summer 2025, those 30 players listed will cost around 1.8 to 2 billion quid (or more) to replace to that level (or both teams will have to get incredible lucky and buy many lesser cost players who turn world class, which is deffo possible but not guaranteed at all)

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

I agree with most all, but I do not think it will take 10 years.

Fast forward to 2025-26 season (so 5 years and a few months from now)

the following are all too old or almost there at that point to be top class players at the level they are now

Shitty

Laporte 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Stones 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Mendy 31 (turns 32 in the summer after)

Walker 35 (turns 36 right at the very end)

João Cancelo 31 (turns 32 right at the very end)

Fernandinho 40 (turns 41 right at the end)

Ilkay Gündogan 35 in October 2025

Kevin De Bruyne 34 (35 in the summer after)

Raheem Sterling 31 in Dec 2025

Bernardo Silva  31 (32 the summer after)

Riyad Mahrez  35 in February 2026

Sergio Agüero  37 (38 beginning of June 2026)

Victimpool

Virgil van Dijk 34 (35 in summer 2026)   
Joel Matip    34 (35 in summer 2026)
Dejan Lovren    36 (37 in summer 2026)   
Andrew Robertson   31 (32 in March 2026)  
Nathaniel Clyne    34 (35 midvseason)    
Fabinho    31 (32 in October 2025)   
Georginio Wijnaldum    34 (35 in November 2025)   
Naby Keïta    30 (31 in January 2026)   
Jordan Henderson    35 (36 right after the season ends)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain   32 (33 the summer of 20269
James Milner    39 (40 in mid season)    
Adam Lallana   37 (38 in May 2026)    
Sadio Mané    33 (34 in April 2026)
Takumi Minamino    30 (31 in mid season)   
Mohamed Salah    33 (34 in June right after the season ends)
Xherdan Shaqiri    34 in October 2025
Roberto Firmino    34 in October 2025    
Divock Origi   30 (31 in April 2026)

that is basically 80+% of the core of both teams that needs to be replaced or is almost at the point of being too old to be top class

some (9, 10 is you count Firmino as an SS) of those players are now the best or top 2 or 3 (or at least top 5-6) in the world too

Laporte 

Kevin De Bruyne 

Raheem Sterling 

Bernardo Silva  

Virgil van Dijk 
Andrew Robertson    
Fabinho   
Sadio Mané     
Mohamed Salah

at transfer rate prices between now and summer 2025, those 30 players listed will cost around 1.8 to 2 billion quid (or more) to replace to that level (or both teams will have to get incredible lucky and buy many lesser cost players who turn world class, which is deffo possible but not guaranteed at all)

Exactly, they are in problem in just three years most likely. Plus Pep and Klopp won't be there anymore. 

28 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Doesn't take as much as you think. Two years ago no one was given a prayer of catching City and it happened. Furthermore Liverpool's core squad are in their late 20s, unless they manage to find replacements of quality and chemistry they will have a transition period within 3/4 years (that's why I was surprised Klopp extended).

The academy players are our golden ticket back to the top, it's allowed us to fill holes and focus on more specific players in the market.

Well I can't see anyone challenging the top two certainly for the next couple of seasons. Klopp is going nowhere Pep questionable how long he'll stay but if Lampard leaves or gets sacked who's to say that the next manager will play the youngsters. Golden ticket no bronze maybe Tammy and Mount are out of form, CHO the jury is out, Tomori dropped recently only Reece James looks like he's going to be a permanent fixture whoever is in charge. Not sure about the last sentence to be honest Tomo you'll have to expand on that.

25 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Well I can't see anyone challenging the top two certainly for the next couple of seasons. Klopp is going nowhere Pep questionable how long he'll stay but if Lampard leaves or gets sacked who's to say that the next manager will play the youngsters. Golden ticket no bronze maybe Tammy and Mount are out of form, CHO the jury is out, Tomori dropped recently only Reece James looks like he's going to be a permanent fixture whoever is in charge. Not sure about the last sentence to be honest Tomo you'll have to expand on that.

They were statistically the most dominant youth team since the Busby Babes, teams that featured Phil Foden, Jadon Sancho and Trent among others couldn't get near us. Of course i know it's a big step up to the first team and will take time as we're finding out but in an era we can't/won't spend the sums the elite sides (and City) are spending developing the boys to their potential is a must, it means we can focus our budget on top signings as filler won't be required any longer.

If we can get even four to the level of their potential or close (one down three to go as James is a dead cert for me) and a further four as solid squad players that's a third of our squad down, and hundreds of millions saved which will allow scope for bigger signings in the market.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If we can get even four to the level of their potential or close (one down three to go as James is a dead cert for me) and a further four as solid squad players that's a third of our squad down, and hundreds of millions saved which will allow scope for bigger signings in the market

To many ifs and buts to be honest. The stand out player is Reece the rest and I am factoring in their age are not guarantees I hope they are.

Just now, Iggy Doonican said:

To many ifs and buts to be honest. The stand out player is Reece the rest and I am factoring in their age are not guarantees I hope they are.

Maybe, but given the amount we've invested in the academy plus their results at that age it would be mental not to give it a go. Low risk, huge reward. City and Liverpool being where they gives all the more reason to as we don't have the option of a quick fix (like we did in 2014/15 when we replaced KDB/Salah with more ready now players) as we're building to pounce on any drop off.

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Maybe, but given the amount we've invested in the academy plus their results at that age it would be mental not to give it a go. Low risk, huge reward. City and Liverpool being where they gives all the more reason to as we don't have the option of a quick fix (like we did in 2014/15 when we replaced KDB/Salah with more ready now players) as we're building to pounce on any drop off.

Good post and makes perfect sense but it's Chelsea and we are so unpredictable that anything could happen.

None will be a guarantee at that age, not even Reece.

We only have to look at the manager, someone who looked nowhere near the player he would become until he was 24/25.

I think at the very least, and what @Tomo is saying is all of the younger players have shown in stages this season (or last season for RLC and CHO) that they are capable of performing at this level and being big important factors in Chelsea winning games, it's just not on a consistent enough basis at present (and that would include Pulisic into that bracket also). The hope is that consistency will come with experience but if it doesn't I think what this season has at least shown is the club can be confident now to lean far more on the academy in the future compared to previously. If some of these players never reach their full potential all of them have proven at the very minimum they can be solid Premier League players and offer depth as squad players.

In turn this will stop us forking out small fortunes on players such as Drinkwater and Zappacosta. That summer we really should have kicked on but chose quantity over quality and look how far back we are now. Instead of spending £75m on Drinkwater and Bakayoko we would have been better served giving RLC more chances and spending top dollar on a higher quality midfielder. Instead we sold a first choice midfielder and let RLC out on loan who performed well enough at Palace to go to the World Cup and we were left with two midfielders who turned out to be a living nightmare.

This time 6 months ago most of us were looking at our squad and it seemed easier to count how many players were good enough to keep rather than how many were not, but with the influx from the academy and some of the positive contributions they've made this season I think if we can add 2 or 3 top quality players over this window and the summer and another couple the following summer we'll hopefully be in an extremely strong position to take advantage of City and Liverpool then needing to start making changes to sides who's mostly best players will be on the wrong side of 30 by then. City and Liverpool are well ahead of the pack at present and therefore it makes even more sense over the next couple of seasons to build slowly and quietly and see just how far some of these players can reach.