Public relations at The Bridge.

Stamford

I received my tickets for Sunderland (1st Nov) today, my first since becoming a member on the disabled rota, with the tickets came a letter with details about disabled parking actually in Chelsea village. There are only five spaces and they are on a first come first served basis. Also the tickets stated seat numbers which confused me a bit (not hard to do these days) So I phoned the number on the letter and the lady I spoke to was so helpful, I got one of the on site parking spaces which pleased me no end, but she explained that even in a wheelchair you have to have seat numbers and one would obviously be for me and the other for my carer. The lady as I said couldn't have been nicer and explained everything. I have found the whole disabled rota thing dealt with in a thouroughly professional and caring manor, and when you consider we don't have to pay for either of the tickets, I think its bloody brilliant. With all the crap service you hear about these days for disabled and able bodied people, I thought I'd give some credit where its due. Well done Chelsea.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my tickets for Sunderland (1st Nov) today, my first since becoming a member on the disabled rota, with the tickets came a letter with details about disabled parking actually in Chelsea village. There are only five spaces and they are on a first come first served basis. Also the tickets stated seat numbers which confused me a bit (not hard to do these days) So I phoned the number on the letter and the lady I spoke to was so helpful, I got one of the on site parking spaces which pleased me no end, but she explained that even in a wheelchair you have to have seat numbers and one would obviously be for me and the other for my carer. The lady as I said couldn't have been nicer and explained everything. I have found the whole disabled rota thing dealt with in a thouroughly professional and caring manor, and when you consider we don't have to pay for either of the tickets, I think its bloody brilliant. With all the crap service you hear about these days for disabled and able bodied people, I thought I'd give some credit where its due. Well done Chelsea.

Oh..Thats nice...good for you..

Honestly, I thought this is another swipe at the clubs PR when you started the post.

No quite the opposite Warnie, the lady couldn't have been more helpful. I have heard some right horror stories from disabled fans at other clubs about the way they have been treated, so I thought it was time for a bit of praise where its due.

That's all well and good, but they should be like this for the stadium tours too.

When I went for the tour during the summer, I asked about my brother (who would have had to gone the day after once he got let out of hospital) and they said they would be able to do it as long as they had notice (which I had given them, in saying my brother would be coming the next day).

However, what if I were to go there with my brother on the actual day without warning them, would they have just turned us around? Obviously it's hard to navigate a wheelchair through the stadium, but I don't think there was anything they would have been able to do. And let's just say my brother wasn't able to go at any other time apart from when we were there, then we really would have been in trouble.

I'm not complaining, as he got to see it, but maybe they should improve the facilities in the tour for disabled people.

The problem as I see it, is that the stadium is 119 years old and disability was never an issue then. I for those who don't know have only recently been disabled, so at the moment it is a burning issue with me right now. The stadium is fully accessible for matchday's and for the clubs open training days, which is obviously the purpose it was designed for, so that gets them well within the Disabled discrimination laws. Also I have just phoned and asked them their procedures regarding stadium tours and provided it is booked enough in advance, they will have people there to assist. I personally think that is fair enough. I think that it is difficult both for the staff and for the disabled person to negotiate the whole tour therefore I think a little leeway is called for on both sides.