• Loftus-Cheek
    • Hazard
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Giroud
    • Zappacosta (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

Just now, Robchels said:

he doesn't. He plays a DLP role, like a Pirlo.

Kante and the LCM should provide that support, but the system does not quite work. RLC as LCM does not quite provide that, hence my comment about using this lineup against strong opposition. 

Come on, I can see that. I didn't say defensive midfielder, I said holding midfielder. As in the midfielder who sits deep.

Agree with the last part. Though Cheek has never been tried at LCM. This is only his second start in the PL

2 minutes ago, DYC. said:

I'd even take 3-4-3 or 4-4-2.

or my mythical 3 1 3 3 that we are absolutely convinced is worth a go for a half

Kepa

Azpi                    Luiz                               Rudiger   

Kante (roving destroyer)

RLC/Barkley       Jorginho                          Kovacic

CHO                   Giroud/Higs                    Hazard

Just now, Mana said:

Willian has played 10 years of professional football. Of course there will be huge facepalms if he did it.

This is CHO’s first game that he started...ever, at 18. Rush of blood. That’s why he needs to learn. And the only way to learn is for him to gain more experience in the high level.

I agree. I'm just saying it would of been hilarious to see his reputation go further down the drain. 

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Willian has played 10 years of professional football. Of course there will be huge facepalms if he did it.

This is CHO’s first game that he started...ever, at 18. Rush of blood. That’s why he needs to learn. And the only way to learn is for him to gain more experience in the high level.

The is why the needs more experience excuse for not getting played is so stupid. Won't get that experience sat on a bench! 

Hopefully this is a turning point not a one off 

Still don't see RLC as a starter, he's done allright tonight but is a shadow of the player he is when he comes off the bench.

We do seem to be playing a lot faster more often in recent weeks which is good to see.

17 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Come on, I can see that. I didn't say defensive midfielder, I said holding midfielder. As in the midfielder who sits deep.

Agree with the last part. Though Cheek has never been tried at LCM. This is only his second start in the PL

fair enough, it just wasn't explicit and I've seen this mistake here in these forums quite a bit, so not entirely directed at your post.

Sarri's system, as well as Guardiola's simply do not use DMs. Take fernandinho from City: as a sole DM, or even pivot he's awful, but works in possession quite well. Keep the ball at all times and the opponent cannot attack.

Sure, but RLC just isn't good enough in defense to help there. Same with CHO. That's why we'd lack in numbers when playing stronger opposition. That's a problem for a diff time tho.

Just now, Tomo said:

Still don't see RLC as a starter, he's done allright tonight but is a shadow of the player he is when he comes off the bench.

We do seem to be playing a lot faster more often in recent weeks which is good to see.

It is harder to play against deep lying PL teams than teams that like to go forward. Even Hazard, the greatest Chelsea player of time, struggles with Brighton.

4 minutes ago, Robchels said:

fair enough, it just wasn't explicit and I've seen this mistake here in these forums quite a bit, so not entirely directed at your post.

Sarri's system, as well as Guardiola simply do not have a DM. Take fernandinho from City: as a sole DM, or even pivot he's awful, but works in a possession system quite well.

Keep the ball at all times and the opponent cannot attack.

Sure, but RLC just isn't good enough to help there. Same with CHO. That's why we'd lack in numbers when playing stronger opposition. That's a problem for a diff time tho.

Yeah I actually see Cheek as an old-school 4-4-2 wide midfielder. His body shape alone when receiving the ball in the centre of the pitch is off. Which is why he's often forced to turn backwards. His positional awareness has also always been lacking for me. Not to mention his stamina issues.

He's at his best when he is facing goal with the ball at his feet, initiating transitions from defence to attack Andd he needs that space you get on the flank. Sadly he lacks that burst of accelaration and speed to be an out-right winger.

I actually rate Odoi as a prospect. You don't attract this kind of attention and interest if you aint got the goods.

18 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Mostly because the opposition does not press high up, I'm afraid. Much easier and quicker to pass the ball without pressure.

Careful not to compare the incomparable. 

24 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Starting to ask myself the same question with Jorginho as I am with Kovacic....WTF does Jorginho do.

For me today CHO and Jorginho are best players on the pitch... Oh and Hazard :D

23 minutes ago, Vesper said:

or my mythical 3 1 3 3 that we are absolutely convinced is worth a go for a half

Kepa

Azpi                    Luiz                               Rudiger   

Kante (roving destroyer)

RLC/Barkley       Jorginho                          Kovacic

CHO                   Giroud/Higs                    Hazard

That's too wild for me, haha.