Daishawn Redan

11Drogba

Daishawn Redan is a striker who joined in the summer of 2017 from Ajax in his native Netherlands.

He is a versatile forward who can also play wide-left or as a number 10 and has represented the Netherlands up to Under-19 level. An Amsterdam boy, he has developed an incredible habit of scoring goals throughout his schoolboy years, an eye-catching trait that brought him to the attention of Chelsea scouts.

With the Under-18s, he scored twice in the FA Youth Cup final against Arsenal as our youngsters retained the trophy once again. 

Redan signed a first professional contract in July 2018, six weeks after helping Netherlands triumph at the Under-17 European Championship finals.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/academy/daishawn-redan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Who was the top UEFA competition scorer of 2018?

Chelsea and Netherlands prospect Daishawn Redan outshone the rest of Europe in 2018 to finish as the leading scorer in UEFA competition, an honour claimed by Cristiano Ronaldo in three of the previous five years.

Redan, who joined Chelsea from Ajax in summer 2017 and did not turn 17 until February, helped the Blues to the UEFA Youth League final with goals in the last 16, quarters and semis. He followed that up at the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in England by scoring three times as the Netherlands claimed the title to match his tally in March's elite round.

That form has continued this season, both for Chelsea in the UEFA Youth League and the Netherlands in U19 EURO qualifying. Outside UEFA competition, Redan has also been impressing with Chelsea's U23s in Premier League 2 and their U21s in the EFL Trophy, where he has two goals in four appearances against lower-division senior opposition.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2586552.html

• 2 months later...

Daishawn Redan is a striker who joined in the summer of 2017 from Ajax in his native Netherlands.

He is a versatile forward who can also play wide-left or as a number 10 and has represented the Netherlands up to Under-19 level. An Amsterdam boy, he has developed an incredible habit of scoring goals throughout his schoolboy years, an eye-catching trait that brought him to the attention of Chelsea scouts. His first season as a scholar saw accelerated development for the teenager, who started with the Under-18s before ending the campaign as the first-choice striker for Joe Edwards's PL2 team. 

The Dutchman debuted for our development squad at Fratton Park in January, introduced off the bench early on in a Checkatrade Trophy knockout tie against Portsmouth and pitted against League One defenders while still only 16. He equipped himself well and continued to impress against older opponents, scoring in our quarter-final win over Oxford United at Stamford Bridge later that month, the first of four successive games in which he found the net at that age group. Back with the Under-18s, he scored twice in the FA Youth Cup final against Arsenal as our youngsters retained the trophy once again

Redan signed a first professional contract in July 2018, six weeks after helping Netherlands triumph at the Under-17 European Championship finals.

The kid has suddenly started getting traction ... Seems he has also started talking too much (not sure if that is true or not) but looks like his PR team has started going on-board. 

"Chelsea starlet Daishawn Redan does not think he will be given a chance in the Blues' first team, with West Ham United, Everton and Leicester City all keen on signing the Dutch wonderkid,"

5 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

The kid has suddenly started getting traction ... Seems he has also started talking too much (not sure if that is true or not) but looks like his PR team has started going on-board. 

"Chelsea starlet Daishawn Redan does not think he will be given a chance in the Blues' first team, with West Ham United, Everton and Leicester City all keen on signing the Dutch wonderkid,"

I read reports that Borussia Mönchengladbach are going to offer £8.5m for him I would sell with a buy-back clause Just incase he turns into cracking player 

12 hours ago, Nicco said:

I don't know who he is but better give him a new contract before he becomes known :ph34r:

I seen him in a few youth games he seems like a good player so did Lewis Baker at youth level now look at him now  :ph34r: 

29 minutes ago, the wes said:

I read reports that Borussia Mönchengladbach are going to offer £8.5m for him I would sell with a buy-back clause Just incase he turns into cracking player 

The club definitely needs to start covering themselves with all bases. 

There is definitely a shift for young players wanting to play much earlier now because the platform is being offered to them to do this, particularly in Germany. 

We need to start offering more opportunities for young players in our first team for starters because they need to see the route into the first team is a possibility. This starts with CHO and hopefully more will follow.

However that doesn't mean that all our young players will be good enough. The club will need to make a decision on these boys and if indeed they feel it is best to sell then do so with a buy-back clause. We do not want another instance we had with De Bruyne.

The club should also start making more of this current strategy in Germany of hoovering up young talent from England and start loaning players out more to there instead of the Championship and Holland. The most success we've had to date with a youth player being loaned out and eventually coming back to the club is Christensen and he clearly benefited immensely from his loan spell in Germany.

31 minutes ago, the wes said:

I seen him in a few youth games he seems like a good player so did Lewis Baker at youth level now look at him now  :ph34r: 

Yeah, it's hard to tell at this age. Kakuta looked like Messi at youth level, or even better, Josh McEachran was amazing for the senior team at the age of 17, and now.. I don't even know if he's still playing football. On the other side, what if we sell this Redan kid for 8 million and becomes the next big thing? Like Sancho and City.

1 hour ago, the wes said:

I think we really mismanaged Baker ... I still think he had more potential, he was just at the wrong place most of the time. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, nyikolajevics said:

Yeah, it's hard to tell at this age.

But not impossible.

Kakuta looked like Messi at youth level, or even better

No he didn't. The first time I saw him play live, in a youth team game at Stamford Bridge, I posted to say that he was not good enough and would not make it at Chelsea. In fact I reached that conclusion within 20 minutes of kick-off. This will obviously sound like I'm boasting but I'm not. My point is that there is no reason why, if one person can see it, that everybody can not see it too. When scouting just don't start off determined to be pleased and avoid getting carried away by a good touch or good control. Those things are musts but they are no more than entry level requirements. Having them doesn't get you a contract at Chelsea, they get you noticed by the scouts. To be worthy of being recruited you need way more than that. Having those things does not make you a good player. Rather it is the case that not having them makes you an ordinary one. At best.

An example of not being determined to be pleased by what you see? Callum was quite disappointing the other day.

Josh McEachran was amazing for the senior team at the age of 17

No he wasn't. Rather, Carlo was desperate for a Pirlo type, and the club was desperate for a breakthrough academy graduate. The experiment didn't last long. Josh, as he is proving in the Championship, is a decent pro but not Chelsea level. His little brother is a better player in my opinion.

On the other side, what if we sell this Redan kid for 8 million and becomes the next big thing? Like Sancho and City.

I like Daishawn. He's got some attributes but I don't rate him as a superstar prospect. He does eye catching things, and will grab headlines when he does, but he does not produce the consistent weight of value added contributions which sets the top level players apart. I prefer his development squad strike partner, Charlie Brown. Charlie looks to me like he's going to make a decent player. Will he get a gig with Chelsea? I doubt it.

21 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I like Daishawn. He's got some attributes but I don't rate him as a superstar prospect. He does eye catching things, and will grab headlines when he does, but he does not produce the consistent weight of value added contributions which sets the top level players apart. I prefer his development squad strike partner, Charlie Brown. Charlie looks to me like he's going to make a decent player. Get a gig with Chelsea? I doubt it.

I completely agree with your assessments on Kakuta and McEachran. At the time there was a clamouring for a young prospect to come through the academy to make it at Chelsea. I think the crop over the last few years are of a far higher all round standard than back then.

I hold your opinion in high regard on this forum and I know you watch a lot of football beyond the first team for the club.

If the transfer ban holds up, and the only way to refresh our squad is through the academy and loan players, what players in your opinion are best equipped to make this possible transition next season?

3 hours ago, the wes said:

LOAN him

If we start selling all our decent academy players you KNOW the fix is in with Abramovich and liquidation on the sly

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

But not impossible.

I like Daishawn. He's got some attributes but I don't rate him as a superstar prospect.

You look very confident about these things, I think it's a little early to give up on 17-18 year old kids, they can change so much - in both direction.

22 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

You look very confident about these things, I think it's a little early to give up on 17-18 year old kids, they can change so much - in both direction.

Well, I have nothing against any young player and wish all of them well in pursuit of their dream. If Daishawn proves to be a top drawer striker I'll be delighted for him. In all honesty however, I can't say that I've yet seen that level of quality in him. If people do not have the quality as teenagers they don't acquire it later. There are no miracles, magic is not real. The only way for a Messi calibre player to emerge from an academy at the age of 18, is for a Messi calibre kid to walk into it some years before. Coaches can teach players what to do with their talent, but no one can teach the talent itself. For this reason, while players do develop as you've said, they do not, and can not, develop beyond their talent group.

James Milner is a player I love. He makes the most of every ounce of quality he was born with. I shake my head in disbelief when people belittle his contributions but he is what he is, and no more. Most young men who like football become obsessed with it. No one has to tell them to go out and play more. It's more likely people have to tell them to play less. Milner will have practiced every hour he could as a boy. That undoubtedly helped him get where he is, but no one thinks he would have become Messi if he had practiced for an extra hour or two a day. As I say, he is what he is.

I like Daishawn. I hope he will make a good living for himself in football and get the chance to chase his dreams. He too is what he is however so I do not believe that he will become an elite striker. I may of course be wrong but that's the way it is for any of us when we express an opinion. I challenge you to consider if you might not actually agree with me. Not about Daishawn in particular, but about the fact that judgements of young players can, and must, be made. If you were responsible for player recruitment at Cobham, you would not just sign every youngster who turned up for a trial on the basis that you can never tell. Instead, you would use your judgement to try to identify the ones worthy of a closer look. You'd get some wrong, but I bet you'd get far more right. We've all watched football and we've all seen thousands of footballers. We have some idea of what it takes.