• Barkley
    • Willian
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Hazard
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

39 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

Thats weird, in my opinion he is alright at set pieces. I know Alonso is better since he is taller, but Emerson has showed that he can score from a set piece while also defending them against teams that relied on them to get something out of the game.

Don't think that's the issue with Emerson - there is certainly an issue (likely tactical) because he should be getting minutes with alonso struggling. No, I don't think of him as a liability as others here do, but he's clearly playing below what he used to, even compared to the start of the season.

The issue concerning set pieces is that we have a VERY VERY short squad. We really only have 3 players capable of winning headers: the 2 CBs and Alonso. And by headers, I mean any aerial duels being in midfield, attack, or defense. It would be a bit better if we had a proper striker or false nine, but we don't.

Eden is really NOT a very good false nine. We lose our key player and gain very little with him there.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

Alonso is utterly shit as usual and Barkley is just simply not good enough and never will.

The good thing is Sarri was so pissed off at Barkley just before he took him off. So Im fairly confident he wont be starting a game any time soon. 

Last thing I'll say about this match. Kante is getting better and better going forward. He's now a legitimate threat on goal and is ever improving at surging forward with the ball. Even beating players with a dribble. That's great to see. 

He was great today.

52 minutes ago, Vybzkartel said:

Lets be honest Sarri will never drop Azpi and Alonso but they are the main problem at the moment. I would rather win or lose 3-2 than this shit we are being served at the moment. 

we have 5 huge problem offensively

both fullbacks are shit (Alonso is also shit defensively)

Willian is shit

Barkley is shit atm, RLC is out, and Kovacic is not a pure AMF

and we have no strikers worth a flying shit

'I don't like VAR - I am unhappy to win like this' - Pochettino 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46799747

Sarri, Pochettino slam VAR intevention in Spurs v Chelsea semi
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/sarri-pochettino-slam-var-intevention-spurs-v-chelsea-semi

Sarri transcript post spuds

Did you deserve more from that game?

"I think so. I think we deserved more. In this match we played better than the opponents. We were in control of the match, we defended very well against opponents who are very dangerous in the offensive phase, I think we deserved more.

"We played about 70 balls in the opposing box against 11 balls from Tottenham in our box, 18 shots against 7. Five goal opportunities against two, so we deserved more. I am really disappointed with the result but I am happy with the performance. In my opinion this one is one of the most important performances of my team in the season."

What did you make of the VAR?

"I don’t know, In Italy there is the VAR. In the first period it was a disaster, also in Italy it was very difficult for the referee to get used to the system. I think that at the moment here the referees are not ready to use in the right way the system. For example, apart from the image in our camera, Kane was offside, clearly offside, but it is not important.

"I think it is more important that the linesman stopped running, he didn’t follow the ball, so for the players on the pitch it is clearly offside so I think he had a big influence on our defenders.

"I think that they need to study better the system. It is very strange in the Premier League there is not the system, but in the Carabao Cup suddenly there is the system.

"Of course it is very strange for us, for the players, but also for the referees."

Does that make it even more disappointing then?

"I don’t know, I say I saw only our video from our camera, maybe the camera of VAR was in a different position. From our camera it was clearly offside. But it depends of the position of the camera.

"If the camera is not in line, it is very difficult to realise if it is offside or not. You need the camera in line with the last man."

Lots of pressure on Hudson-Odoi this week, thoughts on his performance?

"Odoi in the last week has been very normal. I have seen him every day in training, he has been really very normal. He is improving, in the last match he played very well and also today I think a very good match.

"He played like a player of 25 or 26 years, I think. Very good match of application, very good in the defensive phase, very, very good.

"He was completely normal in this period. I don’t know, maybe he doesn’t read anything."

Victor Moses, what’s the latest on his future?

"I don’t know because I am not in charge of the market. You have to call the club and ask the man in charge. I don’t know."

Why was this the most important performance of the season?

"Because we played with a very good level of application and determination, with heart, with the soul. We played in this was with continuity for 95 minutes.

"In the last matches we defended very well for 60 minutes and then we have had problems in the last 20, 30, sometimes 15 minutes, but in this match the level of application was the same for 95 minutes. So I am really very happy with this."

Are you in a strong position in the tie?

"I don’t think so, Tottenham v Chelsea is a very difficult match for us, but also for them. So it will be not really very easy to win at Stamford Bridge. After this performance, if we are able to play on the same level then we can do it."

5 hours ago, Vybzkartel said:

I think it will help decongest the middle. Its so easy to defend us at the moment because everyone cuts back into the middle so just crowding the middle usually stops us in our tracks. This is why CHO has been a breath of fresh air, he hugs the touch line. If our fullbacks made overlapping runs it would help pull some of their defenders out of position instead of just staying in the middle to park the bus. Look at how City do it. 

Think manpe had the same discussion with you. Both Alonso and Azpi do make overlapping runs but the main problem is their final product leaves a lot to be desired (to put it kindly). Furthermore, we don't play quick enough, we don't play with high a high tempo that allows our full backs to get into dangerous areas consistently. What tends to happen instead is because we play so slow, our opponents often have enough time to get back into shape or stay in their shape and prevent the danger from wide.

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those comments you later repent of at your leisure.

Lol...

Even if Pulisic doesn't end up coming here...that means he has a terrible football future if he can't play better than willian... Willian is terrible...

What can I say thats probably not been said 100 times over?

Alonso/Willian/Barkley/AC just not good enough and need upgrading!

Dave offers nothing offensively.

Love Jorgi but he lacks a killer ball. OR the ladsdont get into a position that he can make one!

We need to do everything we can to tie CHO up in golden handcuffs. Tho he did slow right down in 2nd half IMO.

Eden had a slow 1st half then ran them ragged in 2nd. But he never looks intense. Doesn't have a bite.

WE SHOULD HAVE WON!! And we really should go thru in the 2nd leg!

Today did absolutely nothing towards making my hatred of Spuds any better!  82a893d86cef81b195270929ef12070a.gif

44 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

What can I say thats probably not been said 100 times over?

Alonso/Willian/Barkley/AC just not good enough and need upgrading!

Dasve offers nothing offensively.

Love Jorgi but he lacks a killer ball. OR the ladsdont get into a position that he can make one!

We need to do everything we can to tie CHO up in golden handcuffs. Tho he did slow right down in 2nd half IMO.

Eden had a slow 1st half then ran them ragged in 2nd. But he never looks intense. Doesn't have a bite.

WE SHOULD HAVE WON!! And we really should go thru in the 2nd leg!

Today did absolutely nothing towards making my hatred of Spuds any better!  82a893d86cef81b195270929ef12070a.gif

with the amount of shots we had from outside the box, Lampard would have scored at least 2, we lack that kind of firepower, all of our shots went straight to the keeper, easy saves for him imo, if wasn't for Gazzaniga we would've scored for sure. So frustrating

18 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

all of our shots went straight to the keeper,

Thats how they practice their shooting bud. Use the keeper as  target practice. And they think they score double by hitting the woodwork.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Think manpe had the same discussion with you. Both Alonso and Azpi do make overlapping runs but the main problem is their final product leaves a lot to be desired (to put it kindly). Furthermore, we don't play quick enough, we don't play with high a high tempo that allows our full backs to get into dangerous areas consistently. What tends to happen instead is because we play so slow, our opponents often have enough time to get back into shape or stay in their shape and prevent the danger from wide.

While we can play quicker at times i do disagree. I think we regularly get our fullbacks in space and good positions but it doesn't come to anything because they lack the pace and abillity to exploit it.

Overlapping runs are all about pace and timing. Creating that temporary 2 on 1 situation where the defending fullback has to make a decision "do i track the overlapping run or stay with the player on the ball".

Problem is neither Azpi or Alonso have got the pace to force that decision.

and when they get into 1 on 1 situations they just don't have the ability to beat their marker. They either pass back or cross the ball in from a position where defenders are happy to let them cross from. 

A proper striker is definitely the priority but having proper fullbacks is important too. Like "vybskartel" said it will help open up the central areas more.

Jermaine Jenas said that Hazard is too good for Chelsea. Hazard has 2 PL, FA cup, league cup, EL during spell at Chelsea, while Kane, Erickson, Ali, and Son have won 0 titles with spurs. I guess they’re too good for Spurs considering they’ve won F all with them.