• Barkley
    • Willian
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Hazard
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This is an old thing now surely. Everyone knows black people can claim the n word and proudly call themselves nigger, but non-blacks cannot. Do Jewish people want to claim the y word in the same way? I don't know but it can be argued that its use as a term of abuse aimed at them, gives Spurs fans the right to claim the word if they want to. That's a conversation to be had between non-Jewish Spurs fans, and Jewish people. What's not up for debate is the fact that sensible, decent, rational, people are not going to use that word as a term of abuse.

As I said in another thread, I'm totally fed up with Chelsea fans who think that abuse constitutes good support. They are wrong in every way possible.

I really dont think football fans generally think it a word of disrespect about being Jewish. More of a case of a collective word for Spuds.Its purely a nickname meant with no malice religeously at all.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This is an old thing now surely. Everyone knows black people can claim the n word and proudly call themselves nigger, but non-blacks cannot. Do Jewish people want to claim the y word in the same way? I don't know but it can be argued that its use as a term of abuse aimed at them, gives Spurs fans the right to claim the word if they want to. That's a conversation to be had between non-Jewish Spurs fans, and Jewish people. What's not up for debate is the fact that sensible, decent, rational, people are not going to use that word as a term of abuse.

As I said in another thread, I'm totally fed up with Chelsea fans who think that abuse constitutes good support. They are wrong in every way possible.

''Do Jewish people want to claim the y word in the same way? I don't know''

Well Sp*rs fans seem to want to. 'Yid Army, We're Yids n Proud' etc

It's interesting seeing the World Jewish Forum and Board of Deputies being challenged by a Jewish Sp*rs supporting Emeritus Professor at Canterbury University saying the opposite.

I think he's against people feeling the need to take offence on behalf of other people nowadays, and defending the right to be offensive. 

15 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I really dont think football fans generally think it a word of disrespect about being Jewish. More of a case of a collective word for Spuds.Its purely a nickname meant with no malice religeously at all.

I know they do. They are wrong.

Many decades ago I was travelling home by bus from a midweek game at QPR. A young Chelsea fan of colour, Asian rather than African, recognised that the conductor was a Jew and began baiting him. I told him to shut it and he did. I was bigger than him so he may have been intimidated but it seemed to me more that he was shocked at the idea that he was doing anything wrong. I don't think he meant to seriously abuse this man, and probably would have denied that he was a racist. I think he'd just learned to associate this behaviour with football. I hope he realised that night that there is a better way to think about this.

20 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

''Do Jewish people want to claim the y word in the same way? I don't know''

Well Sp*rs fans seem to want to. 'Yid Army, We're Yids n Proud' etc

It's interesting seeing the World Jewish Forum and Board of Deputies being challenged by a Jewish Sp*rs supporting Emeritus Professor at Canterbury University saying the opposite.

I think he's against people feeling the need to take offence on behalf of other people nowadays, and defending the right to be offensive. 

Hello FB,

You'll see from my post that I referenced Spurs fans wanting to claim the word yid and that this was a discussion for non-Jewish Spurs fans to have with Jewish people.

We don't have the right to abuse other people in football stadiums. They are private properties with by laws against such behaviour, even if those laws are not always applied. Worse, I say again it is not good support. Don't ask fellow supporters about this, ask the players. It embarrasses them, while motivating our opponents' players and fans. It's stupid in every possible way.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Hello FB,

You'll see from my post that I referenced Spurs fans wanting to claim the word yid and that this was a discussion for non-Jewish Spurs fans to have with Jewish people.

We don't have the right to abuse other people in football stadiums. They are private properties with by laws against such behaviour, even if those laws are not always applied. Worse, I say again it is not good support. Don't ask fellow supporters about this, ask the players. It embarrasses them, while motivating our opponents' players and fans. It's stupid in every possible way.

Hi OFAG

I disagree that it is not acceptable to abuse people in football stadiums, guarantee you go to any match anywhere in the World and it happens, always has done. Take that away and it's another erosion of what makes our game great. Most fans give and take, and it is banter.

Yes it is not acceptable to be racist towards someone regarding their ethnicity and/or colour. and this is thankfully almost totally eradicated in this country. This is different from rivalrous chanting, stuff that is not racist/homophobic. but that a few people might find offensive.

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I know they do. They are wrong.

Many decades ago I was travelling home by bus from a midweek game at QPR. A young Chelsea fan of colour, Asian rather than African, recognised that the conductor was a Jew and began baiting him. I told him to shut it and he did. I was bigger than him so he may have been intimidated but it seemed to me more that he was shocked at the idea that he was doing anything wrong. I don't think he meant to seriously abuse this man, and probably would have denied that he was a racist. I think he'd just learned to associate this behaviour with football. I hope he realised that night that there is a better way to think about this.

I wont comment on this anymore as it will go on and on. But while I defend your right to put forward your opinion I do think you read far too much into it,

Ive had this conversation with Spuds mates and they have no ill feelings at all towards other supporters who call them Yids. 2 of these happen to be Jewish of my age and they do refer to themselves as a group of supporters by this.

Ive just been wondering just what the Manure and Victimpool fans think - mainly of each other - of the amazingly hurtful chants they sing to each other. While they not being racial slurs I would be more hurt about people dying

Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to Wem Ber Ley we go! I shall make sure to give Spuds a cordial greeting!

I could be reading too much into this, but it seems as though Willian only tweets out his "come on Chelsea" messages when he's starting.

So I think we can expect him straight back into the XI tonight in place of CHO.

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I could be reading too much into this, but it seems as though Willian only tweets out his "come on Chelsea" messages when he's starting.

So I think we can expect him straight back into the XI tonight in place of CHO.

Let's hope its CHO - Hazard - Willian then. If Willian has to start...

12 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Anyone  who knows me knows how I feel towards racists but this is how the world has gone PC bonkers!! Ridiculous. f651063962e197a5ccc70b19a0acec94.gif

I agrre that the word "Yid" shouldn't be used to describe Spurs fans, as, in reality, they are not all Jews..........................I think we should just call them "Hateful Cunts". That covers them all :drunk::drunk:

Let's hope its CHO - Hazard - Willian then. If Willian has to start...
Willian shouldn't be anywhere near the XI. If CHO doesn't start, we might as well do away with him swiftly.

Tonight will say a lot about Sarri

Willian shouldn't be anywhere near the XI. If CHO doesn't start, we might as well do away with him swiftly.

Tonight will say a lot about Sarri
Agreed. But if Willian is starting, that's what I want to see.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any chance of a Drinkwater sighting?  I'm expecting Jorginho to have to start as there's no Cesc.  Wouldn't mind seeing Kovacic or Kante or both get another day off before the weekend. 

CHO - Morata - Moses

Barkley - Jorginho - Drinkwater (yes, this means we'll lose)

Alonso - Ampadu - AC - Azpi

Kepa

TBH, with all the transfer speculation and him wanting to leave if you are to believe reports, It would not be that much of a surprise for us not to start him. Is his head 100% in right place right now in a big game like this? Probably the excuse Sarri will use anyway.