Christian Pulisic

the wes

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

If we bought a proven RW and Pulisic would be his understudy, thats fine.

But him being our main RW (hopefuly we dont see more of Willian in first 11 next season)? 

He may or may not be a decent finisher in the future, but right now he is worse than Willian in that aspect. And thats no exaggeration. 

Thats all we have to know. No ifs. No buts.

People wanted sarriball and now they complain. They better be prepared to see some Willian esque games with lot of frustration by Pulisic. 

Question1: Are they prepared to give whole season to player like that, hoping he will improve? 

Question2: chelsea being absolute shite in finishing off chances; can we afford another player who cant finish? 

I love the idea we got a player with his talent and all, but it couldnt come at worse moment. We have CHO if we want to develop a talent and give him alot of playtime. And thats nice, developing a talent. But we all know Chelsea completely sucks in this. 

What we needed right now (or in summer) is a top RW so that we can actualy improve. Period. Because if keep Hazard somehow he better have a damn quality teammate on RW. Because by the time Pulisic makes it (if), Eden will be on decline. 

Liverpool went for 3 prime years attackers and they are ripping rewards. 

We needed a quality RW for ages and board buys a 20 year old who is super raw for 60m. He is completely raw, nowhere near established or polished. Being american and all, he is hyped to the mars, but atm while being good talent, he isnt anywhere near Willians level, nevermind top quality.

Facts.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh when you said Pulisic "isn't anywhere near Willian's level". It is true that Pulisic's goals and assists are less than Willian's this season but Pulisic only has 2 goals and 2 assists less than Willian and that despite playing 1044 minutes less than the latter. The difference between them is one has the potential to get better while the other doesn't and has stagnated for years. Also, I don't know why you make it sound as if Pulisic is the make-or-break signing for us attacking wise. I don't disagree that he needs to contribute the goals but we gotta make sure the goals come from elsewhere - midfielders, wingers and more importantly, the strikers! - and not just Pulisic. You used Liverpool as an example for signing attackers in their prime years and are ripping the rewards. Well, I will use Man City then. They signed Sane when he was 20 years old and Sterling when he was 21 and they haven't done too badly, have they?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't know whether to cry or laugh when you said Pulisic "isn't anywhere near Willian's level". It is true that Pulisic's goals and assists are less than Willian's this season but Pulisic only has 2 goals and 2 assists less than Willian and that despite playing 1044 minutes less than the latter. The difference between them is one has the potential to get better while the other doesn't and has stagnated for years. Also, I don't know why you make it sound as if Pulisic is the make-or-break signing for us attacking wise. I don't disagree that he needs to contribute the goals but we gotta make sure the goals come from elsewhere - midfielders, wingers and more importantly, the strikers! - and not just Pulisic. You used Liverpool as an example for signing attackers in their prime years and are ripping the rewards. Well, I will use Man City then. They signed Sane when he was 20 years old and Sterling when he was 21 and they haven't done too badly, have they?

Sane and Sterling were closer to Mbappe development level than they were a prospect. They were already established in their clubs and made improvement. Pulisic has stagnated this season and even last season he was nowhere near as great as some want to picture him. Just a talent, but maybe marginaly better than a season before.

Still Sane took awhile to get used to the league. He was quite bad first couple of months. Sterling didnt have the same impact either.

And yeah Willian is better than Pulisic man. Potential wise obviously not, but current ability absolutely. Not saying Willian is great or anything, just that Pulisic isnt that good either.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Sane and Sterling were closer to Mbappe development level than they were a prospect. They were already established in their clubs and made improvement. Pulisic has stagnated this season and even last season he was nowhere near as great as some want to picture him. Just a talent, but maybe marginaly better than a season before.

Still Sane took awhile to get used to the league. He was quite bad first couple of months. Sterling didnt have the same impact either.

And yeah Willian is better than Pulisic man. Potential wise obviously not, but current ability absolutely. Not saying Willian is great or anything, just that Pulisic isnt that good either.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Not so much with Sane (being similar in development to Mbappe). He only had one full year at topflight football, and had 9 goals, 7 assists in 42 games.

I was bouncing up and down for use to grab him, as I knew his potential and he fit my criteria for a massive player, but I got the usual bullshit from so many (he is too young, he plays in a weak league, he is a one season (wtf? off 9 goals???) wonder, etc etc etc.

You know, the same crap the Alonso and Willian fanboys/girls and the status quo'ers in general spew when new, great, young non EPL players are trumpeted here.

44638f64231dc2b972d116e1963295ef.png

To you main point, Sarri will play Willian over Pulisic every time atm, of that I am sure

unless

Willian is our new starting LWer after Eden and CHO leave and the board replaces them with fuckall (surely if that happens they have to at least buy Lozano or better)

Sarri will still probably play Pedro over Pulisic at RW then too

As most know, I am underwhelmed with Pulisic signing. I think a lot of it is a marketing gambit to fleece the yanks.

I hope he proves me wrong, but 15 goals in 115 topflight games, with many many as a starter on a pinball machine offence is hardly overwhelming. never more that 5 goals in a year.

those are his league goal totals for the last 3 and a half years

bdbd4b0f4f41ed1f7015fa53a7c95cd2.png

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I swear an animal dies somewhere every time @Vesper brings out the goals/assists stats to judge players...

Its not just goal and assists. He seems to have a weak shot as well. I do grant he is hella pacey, but I certianly do not see a player meriting around £60m just off potential. Its just my observations and my opinion. I hope I am made to look a fool by him.

Also, goals and assists are kind of a big thing for a winger. . Unless we are going to go back to 1930's footie and play with defensive forwards.

He did have one good assist year, with 13, on the Dembele/Aubameyang team

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Its not just goal and assists. He seems to have a weak shot as well. I do grant he is hella pacey, but I certianly do not see a player meriting around £60m just off potential. Its just my observations and my opinion. I hope I am made to look a fool by him

It's 2019. That's the nature of the transfer market these days, whether we like it or not.

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Also, goals and assists are kind of a big thing for a winger. Unless he are going to go back to 1930's footie and play with defensive forwards.

I don't disagree goals and assists from wingers are important but you have made it out as if those numbers are gonna stick forever and the player in question won't contribute more in the future.

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

He did have one good assist year, with 13, on the Dembele/Aubameyang team

Goals are goals. Assists are assists. Does it really matter who Pulisic played with in the team? If attacking players don't score or assist, they get criticized. If they score or assist, there's suddenly an excuse of 'oh, those numbers are only high because he plays with Player X in the team'.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Goals are goals. Assists are assists. Does it really matter who Pulisic played with in the team?

Erm, yes

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

035cfe51930ecdf1ae09e7a077c482c1.png

Ousmane Dembélé

dc3a68c1e88cdba98c234c88f7c7e92d.png

Marco Reus (was tracking to close to 26 to 30 goals until injured)

1d6cc10e3df93c15a60aa303325afb85.png

overall, they scored 110 goals that year, all comps

they had 5 other players with 5 or more goals as well

their fullbacks alone scored 15 goals combined

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

Erm, yes

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

035cfe51930ecdf1ae09e7a077c482c1.png

Ousmane Dembélé

dc3a68c1e88cdba98c234c88f7c7e92d.png

Marco Reus (was tracking to close to 26 to 30 goals until injured)

1d6cc10e3df93c15a60aa303325afb85.png

overall, they scored 110 goals that year, all comps

they had 5 other players with 5 or more goals as well

their fullbacks alone scored 15 goals combined

Yeah and...

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

If attacking players don't score or assist, they get criticized. If they score or assist, there's suddenly an excuse of 'oh, those numbers are only high because he plays with Player X in the team'.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah and...

If you have a huge scoring player or two it is more likely you will end up with a lot more assists. Look at the players assist totals at Barca and Real in those massive Messi and CR7 years. 

Last year, (with no Aubameyang, no Demebele, and Reus out for 2/3rds of the year) playing as basically a fulltime starter, Pulisic had 4 league goals and 6 assists.  In his other 10 non league games, 1 goal, 1 assist. 

Teammates matter.

USMNT: Cynic in me hates Christian Pulisic Chelsea move

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/01/21/usmnt-cynic-hates-christian-pulisic-chelsea-move/

Christian Pulisic transferred to Chelsea this January and will join up with them in the summer. The cynic in me hates this move for the USMNT star’s career.

Manchester United did not sign Park Ji-Sung for purely footballing reasons. Shinji Kagawa was also not at Old Trafford solely because of what he could deliver between the white lines. The same could be said for Park Chu-Young at Arsenal.

While all these players offered varying degrees of utility to their respective teams and eras, their signings were not exclusively based on their ability. The modern football world is as much a business one as it is a sporting one, and these acquisitions had as much to do about business as they did football.

Man. Utd are subsequently the most popular team in East Asia, Korea and Japan specifically. Arsenal, similarly, are well-liked among African communities, with the likes of Kanu, Patrick Vieira, Alex Song and now Alex Iwobi, Mohamed Elneny and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang all heralding from Africa.

Not all transfers are made with a business angle. And I believe that very few are solely because of the commercial boost their arrival brings. The player must be of a minimum standard, no matter the size of the market he may allow his prospective club to tap into. But it would be naive to think that all decisions in football are not tainted by business somewhat. And clubs’ work in the transfer market is no difference.

This January, Chelsea signed U.S. Men’s National Team star Christian Pulisicfrom Borussia Dortmund in a $73.1 million deal. Much has been made of the deal, which was announced almost three weeks ago and includes a six-month loan back to Dortmund for the remainder of the year, but it is clear that for Pulisic this is a chance to further his career and shine on the biggest stage in world football, the Premier League. For the USMNT, that is no bad thing.

snip

2 hours ago, mccg said:

Yeah. Wonder who the other club might be...

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah. Wonder who the other club might be...

Parsing this out, he ruled out 'the one' that all were talking about.' That would be Victimpool.

I dont think Spurs would dish out almost £60m quid for a fairly unproven winger, Levy is cheap as fuck, plus they already have three either very very good or pretty decent 26yo wingers who can play either side.

I dont see Everton or West Ham or Leicester or Wolves or Fulham dumping this sort of cash (those are the only other sorta big spenders in the EPL), and zero chance Shitty would buy another RWer, as they are fucking LOADED there already.

That leaves 2 teams.

Arsenal is on record as saying they can only loan players atm. They really do need wingers, as they literally have only one true one atm, in Alex Iwobi, who is a LW, so Pulisic could surely be of use for them at RW, BUT the only way it could be them is IF they are flat out lying about no cash to buy atm. Maybe they are, who knows, but I will, with some trepidation, take them at their word. Under Wenger etc, they didnt seem to be a lying, duplicitous club, for all their other faults (unlike half of Serie A, BAYERN (along with Juve and Napoli by far the worst), and PSG/Real/Barca/AM.)

Sooooooo

It pretty much had to be Manure I think, and they do need another RW, as they only have the uber streaky Lingard there atm. I guess Puli was either sold on living in London v Mancville (I surely would be) and/or he is a Chels fan over all the rest.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:31 PM, Jason said:

goals and assists from wingers are important but you have made it out as if those numbers are gonna stick forever and the player in question won't contribute more in the future

Our problem is tho that at this moment what we do need are goals and assists. We should keep the lads 'WITH POTENTIAL' as backups. And for the money we paid I cant see him being back up.

We really should be looking at players who are currently scoring goals / assists.

And if he was the fastest player on the pitch with an amazing cross we still need players moving into positions to take advantage.

Lets hope Higs will create a stir cause right now we got a bunch of lads with no fire in their belly that we know they have.