Christian Pulisic

the wes

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

I have no idea what happened with the NT, but crying under such circumstances is rather peculiar; he's the only one that can change his fortunes around. I'm sure 99% of people here want to see him succeed in some capacity.

We'd all be stunned, and bitterly disappointed, if this is not true.

We'd all be stunned, and bitterly disappointed, if this is not true.
Precisely. However, you've got people around here saying "the knives have been out" since he signed. I'm like, c'mon!

No one to my knowledge has voiced their desire to see Pulisic fail.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

I have no idea what happened with the NT, but crying under such circumstances is rather peculiar; he's the only one that can change his fortunes around. I'm sure 99% of people here want to see him succeed in some capacity.

Who's the 1%? :ph34r:

And SOME capacity? :carlo: 

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Attacked? People have the right to criticize him and playing him now or in 2025 won't change much.

You'll need to drop this defensive approach at some point.

Of course people have a right to attack him, but anybody who watches his mentality and him play know hes not ready to play here.

It was the summation of the expectation on him, and his inability to handle it. Plus it was the first time we had lost to Canada in multiple generations. Hard times are ahead here.

Of course people have a right to attack him, but anybody who watches his mentality and him play know hes not ready to play here.

It was the summation of the expectation on him, and his inability to handle it. Plus it was the first time we had lost to Canada in multiple generations. Hard times are ahead here.
I couldn't disagree more with the first bit. Please explain what's the difference between a German team fighting for the league & CL regulars to us, a team in transition?

This is probably the only opportunity a player like himself will be given a a decent amount time rather than being shoved aside like multiple youngsters/poor signings during Roman's rein. I can't echo this sentiment enough anymore.

It was 0-0 when he came off, so the his reaction/loss wasn't exactly down to him.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

I couldn't disagree more with the first bit. Please explain what's the difference between a German team fighting for the league & CL regulars to us, a team in transition?

This is probably the only opportunity a player like himself will be given a a decent amount time rather than being shoved aside like multiple youngsters/poor signings during Roman's rein. I can't echo this sentiment enough anymore.

It was 0-0 when he came off, so the his reaction/loss wasn't exactly down to him.

The difference is the level of expectation, especially from his home media.

German Americans might be the largest ethnic group here, but we are 100% the child of England and everything that comes with it in terms of football. Every second of his time here has been covered by all of our media in a way not seen with an American player since Donovan was at Everton. Its a completely different ball game him being here.

I do agree that this is probably his best opportunity, right now, to play here. I think if he gets gametime elsewhere he could easily come back here and be a starter. This would be in the future though.

The loss wasnt down to him, but his performance was bad enough to get him subbed off after an hour. It was a bad managerial performance though....by a guy in over his head whose brother wont dare fire him.

He needs to get stronger if he wants to play in PL.

He should be doing all the possible workout in the gym and train as much as possible. Thats a start.

Then he will be more comfortable and will be able to use his talent to focus on playing football in england.

But if he is going to be whining or complaining, he can blame only himself.

1 hour ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

German Americans might be the largest ethnic group here, but we are 100% the child of England and everything that comes with it in terms of football. Every second of his time here has been covered by all of our media in a way not seen with an American player since Donovan was at Everton. Its a completely different ball game him being here.

I do agree that this is probably his best opportunity, right now, to play here. I think if he gets gametime elsewhere he could easily come back here and be a starter. This would be in the future though.

The loss wasnt down to him, but his performance was bad enough to get him subbed off after an hour. It was a bad managerial performance though....by a guy in over his head whose brother wont dare fire him.

There is little difference in footballing terms, though.

You're making out as if he has to be mollycoddled at 21 for one reason or another. Ronaldo came to England at 18, spoke very little English, played for arguably the biggest club in country and his father passed away before he turned twenty but despite all of that, he managed to thrive.

I know very little about Pulisic's character aside from him being rather quiet, but at some point he'll need to look at himself and find a way to get ahead rather than being being disgruntled at lack of opportunities or what not. One thing that I'm certain is, he won't be frozen out under Lampard this season.

You're dead cert on this loan idea, which could be the end for him should your wildest dreams come to fruition. He will probably find himself further down the pecking order (low standard as is) with us being able to freely move come next summer.

Noise coming out that he was subbed early due to illness rather than "tactical reasons". Either way, I agree with your view about the manager.

Soccer gets a minute worth of coverage on hour sports news shows here. Pulisic is nowhere close to a household name here. Only those that follow the sport, which is 7% of the population know how he is doing in the EPL. If he is feeling US media pressure, he is watching very specific media. Even those of us that have followed the sport for years roll our eyes at ESPN coverage.

2 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Donovan? At Everton? Well if his time over here was well documented then I do feel sorry for anyone who had to watch that constant shit as he only played a handfulmore than 15 times in 2 loan spells and only scored 2 league goals, which by all means as a footballer in Europe, is rather shocking.

People have tonhe patient with Puli, I mean in regards to the media coverage etc he has already eclipsed what he achieved in Europe as a footballer, they should ease off and let the guy develop rather than pinning the weight of a nation on him. Even if he becomes as good as he can he can barely brunt the shoulder of a whole NT a level below him, look at Messi with Argentina and hes the greatest player whos ever kicked a ball. 

Still excited to see what he does for us this season, he will get plenty of opportunities. I really dont see why theres any rush or panic about him already.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Jason said:

Apologies. Maybe the better way of saying this is, you seem to be pigeonholing players into specific roles for some reason - like if Player A plays, then Player B can't play OR if Player A does this, then Player B must do this. Like why this all of a sudden? Maybe my memory has failed me here but I don't seem to recall you doing this under previous managers, especially with some of them being a lot more rigid with their system/players than Lampard. I believe the players, especially the attacking players are good enough to play various roles in the XI and do well without needing A, B or C to happen first. 

When I talk about role, I am talking about their best trait. If he can do it all, then there is no point talking specific role about. Take for example under previous manager. We always setup to get the best out of Hazard, an almost complete player who pretty much can do everything well. He can play with a targetman,  ask him to feed striker no problem, ask him to pick up the ball deep or ask him to score no problem. 

Right now we have been talking about getting the best out of pulisic. You said there is no role, just that he is a RW. So he will have to do everything. When he drop back he struggle. Why do you want him to do this more, maybe it is better to ask him to play higher and make run behind more and drop back less. But on the other side we have Mason Mount who is fantastic at making off the ball run behind striker and good finisher, so maybe we should ask Mount to run behind more. So you have two wing who you want to run behind more, so you need your striker to drop more and good at playing deeper like Giroud or in pool case Firmino. 

It is about getting player to do more what they do best and less that they do worse. 

5 hours ago, communicate said:

When I talk about role, I am talking about their best trait. If he can do it all, then there is no point talking specific role about. Take for example under previous manager. We always setup to get the best out of Hazard, an almost complete player who pretty much can do everything well. He can play with a targetman,  ask him to feed striker no problem, ask him to pick up the ball deep or ask him to score no problem. 

Yes but on the other hand, look at the defensive headaches he caused under those previous managers. Some even had to play him in the 'False 9' role just to make sure we were more solid defensively and that he's still in the XI.

5 hours ago, communicate said:

Right now we have been talking about getting the best out of pulisic. You said there is no role, just that he is a RW. So he will have to do everything. When he drop back he struggle. Why do you want him to do this more, maybe it is better to ask him to play higher and make run behind more and drop back less. But on the other side we have Mason Mount who is fantastic at making off the ball run behind striker and good finisher, so maybe we should ask Mount to run behind more. So you have two wing who you want to run behind more, so you need your striker to drop more and good at playing deeper like Giroud or in pool case Firmino. 

By that thinking, every attacking player should just stay forward and not drop back when have to defend. My point is, when we have the ball, sure let the attacking players shine but when we don't have the ball and have to defend, the players are expected to do their defensive work (arguably only 2 players in the world have a free role in the team) - be it dropping back or pressing high up the field. Just look at the last game, CHO/Pulisic were dropping back when we had to and were still able to make an impact in the attacking third when we got forward. And yet, you seem to be insisting that if Player A does this, then he can't do that etc.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/christian-pulisic-chelsea-loan-lampard-17110530

When asked if Pulisic could be loaned out in January when the transfer window opens again, Lampard flat-batted it with a simple: “No.”

“With Christian he’s come to us in a big move, let’s make no mistake about it, and then he’s just turned 21 recently, and we’ve got a competitive squad here,” Lampard said.

“I said it before the last game, I always have a problem who to pick and people make my decisions in training or how they’re playing, and at the minute with winning four on the bounce I need the edge of staying in the team and keep performing and everyone is the same.

“With Christian coming here, we have to protect him for that fact because he’s young.

“Christian, as with every player in the squad, needs to work hard in training, keep improving in training, see the direction we’re going, be a part of it, and show what you can do on a match day, and all the players are the same there.

“It is [easy to forget his age]. You can look beyond that because he came through at a very young age at Dortmund and huge credit to him for that. It’s amazing to come through that. He was playing at a top level team at Dortmund.

“There were times when he was in the team, times when he wasn’t, that’s part of development. I was fortunate when I came through in my day because West Ham didn’t have too many players in front of me, so I got opportunities. The pathway was open.

“With Christian, huge credit to him for coming through at Dortmund at a young age, but then it brings other difficulties where sometimes you’re out of the team.

“You come to Chelsea and it’s a similar situation. The demands are huge. The interest from outside is huge and he’s a young boy. I have no problem. I see the big picture with Christian and I see it with all the young players.”

Pulisic started the season in the first XI, with the early-season injuries to Hudson-Odoi, Willian and Pedro meaning that he got a good run in the side.

However, that game time has dramatically tailed off for the winger, and has taken up a less important role within the squad.

And Lampard admits that he does feel some sympathy for Pulisic and his fight to get into his starting team.

"I’m sympathetic to every one of my players. Every game, every selection, I want a group that’s going to be successful over a period of time,” Lampard added.

“To analyse over one game or three games or five games or ten games is difficult for me because sometimes the team will do the talking on the pitch, like they’re doing at the moment. I’m sympathetic to all of them.

“They’re not easy decisions I have to make every Friday, every Saturday, as the week comes to an end. I’m always thinking of the bigger picture and that’s all the players, not focusing on anyone individually.

“I’m sympathetic, yes. Some players will make you feel you need to be a bit tougher, some the opposite, you put your arm round them. I want the best for all of them and then I have to pick my team as I see it.”

Just now, communicate said:
3 minutes ago, Jason said:
Another sub appearance, another promising performance. Should have scored as well but overall, it should help boost his confidence. 

Supersub pretty much will be his best role right now.

Keep this up and he'll certainly force Lampard's hands.