Christian Pulisic

the wes

I think we have overreaction here. It's not like he don't play at all. We had 10 games this season so far and he played 441 minutes so around five games. Willian and Pedro have very similar minutes this season. So no issue here for me. 

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I think we have overreaction here. It's not like he don't play at all. We had 10 games this season so far and he played 441 minutes so around five games. Willian and Pedro have very similar minutes this season. So no issue here for me. 

Overall, the record is decent but think the (slight) issue here is that he didn't play a single minute in 4 of the last 5 games and the only game he played was in the League Cup.

He hasn't been involved in our last four games of note. That ought to be cause for concern when we're talking about a £55m+ signing.

Put CHO in that scenario & tell me what would happen?

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Everyone has their opinion and I respect that but I just find his apprehension (if that's the right word) towards Pulisic somewhat bemusing. Loan him out to learn his trade? Really? If Pulisic was some unknown and we had bought him from the MLS or a small league - like his compatriot Miazga - then sure, loan him out. But Pulisic has played over 120 games, including in the Champions League, for a big club in Europe and is like the biggest US player right now. We're never going to loan him out. Whether this transfer will work out well in the long run remains to be seen but he's a long term investment from the club's perspective. 

Does Pulisic deserve to start over Willian or Pedro at this point? Maybe, maybe not. But at the very least, he should be given minutes on the field. It's easy to sit here and say he needs to adapt, to settle in etc and sure, he needs time but on the other hand, how is he going to do that if he's not even getting minutes, even if it's just 20-30 minutes for now? He won't be perfect but at least give him a chance to impress, to make mistakes and learn, to get the feel of the league and team. I'd rather see young players go through all that than seeing experienced players continue to underwhelm and do not improve. And think some have been spoilt by the success of Mount, Abraham so far. 

Also, if people are gonna start with the ifs and buts of the transfer ban, then they are seriously opening a can of worms. If we hadn't gotten the ban, we would likely not have hired Lampard and would not have gone down this youth route with Mount, Abraham, CHO, James etc. They would have all been loaned out or even sold. 

I'd wager theres a big difference in expectation, and the game, in the bundesliga from what he can expect here at this club though. Theres a reason there is apprehension in his play.

We agree on him needing minutes, hence in a perfect world he would be loaned out to a place where he can learn the league and get his minutes in. Being one of the best US players has nothing to do with anything. The US is a side rebuilding from our golden generation, and a side who failed to qualify for the last world cup in a region where you dont even have to beat the decent sides to make the world cup at all. The US is no powerhouse in any sense for one of the best players from here being immune to being loaned out. We are a small football(men) nation despite what NBCSN and MLS marketing would lead the rest of the world to believe.

3 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

I'd wager theres a big difference in expectation, and the game, in the bundesliga from what he can expect here at this club though. Theres a reason there is apprehension in his play.

We agree on him needing minutes, hence in a perfect world he would be loaned out to a place where he can learn the league and get his minutes in. Being one of the best US players has nothing to do with anything. The US is a side rebuilding from our golden generation, and a side who failed to qualify for the last world cup in a region where you dont even have to beat the decent sides to make the world cup at all. The US is no powerhouse in any sense for one of the best players from here being immune to being loaned out. We are a small football(men) nation despite what NBCSN and MLS marketing would lead the rest of the world to believe.

I think the minutes can be given at Chelsea itself instead of loaning him. Its Willian and Pedro for competition FFS. They can't keep getting away with sub-par performances when there is an option like Pulisic on the bench. 

9 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

The Media was always going to do this if he didnt play though because he's literally the face of the sport in a nation that produces a vast amount of Digital English press and has 300+ million people.

The thing is I can love him as a player, and agree with the fact that he is NOT better than Willian or Pedro at this point. I reiterate in a perfect world we dont have the transfer ban and he gets a loan move to learn the league before honestly fighting for a starting spot here. He's just turned 21. He should be playing week in/week out for a mid table side right now learning his trade.

You can't spend 50/60 m and send him on loan unless you want him gone. 

Pulisic situation in someway similar to CHO. Last year was Chelsea fans, this year it is US fan and Chelsea fans. 

9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Welcome to talk Chelsea. Where the last 2/3 games is indicative of a player's quality, character, future etc etc.

Circumstances for our youngsters and Pulisic are different, Chelsea has been their home since they were kids, Pulisic meanwhile has that whole adapting to new club and country thing to do first before he can start firing like the graduates. What I am quite certain of is that he has been left out of the team mostly due to defensive reasons, introducing other wingers has definitely helped our open play defending.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

For sure but hope some folks are patient if he doesn't come out firing. We've been fortunate that the likes of Abraham and Mount have hit the ground running from the get-go and think we may have been spoilt a tad bit by their success so far because they hadn't started so well, we would be pleading patience with them. So, hope some patience is given here. 

Which is why I think Lampard has taken him out for a bit. Look how much Pepe is struggling, he looked dreadful tonight!

I'm confident Pulisic will be a very good player for us and offers some qualities others cant in this squad. His ability to run in behind in particular could be a very potent weapon and I think this season at least he'll be better suited to being a second half substitute running in behind tired defences, especially those chasing a game.

Only thing I can think of is the same reason why Sarri didnt start Ruben, Emerson and Callum from the beginning of last season. As people have mentioned already) is what he does without the ball. Tactically understanding his role off the ball, helping the fullback, pressing off the ball. 

Nothing to do with his ability, people making out hes some second rate player clearly dont know football. He has huge promise, his all round game from an offensibe point of view isnt that bad, he can play killer passes, dribble, score goals etc. He will get a foot in eventually, I think he is just maybe unfortunate Willian has played well since after Leiceister and Mount has done very well since the United game. 

Whoever said loan him out to learn his trade should do some research. He played in the Bundesliga and CL aged 17/18. Has played over 100 games for Dortmund under managers like Klopp, Tuchel, Favre etc. 

American field players don't get much benefit of the doubt. 

Inexperience managers who were legendary players do get the benefit of the doubt.

Now it apparently is personal for Frank, whose insecurity is showing.

Best result for all concerned is a loan or transfer.  I think there will be plenty of takers, and everyone can move on.

1 hour ago, Vybz Kartel said:

How Zouma keeps starting I dont know.

Pulisic has to compete against 4 others (mount, willian, Cho, Pedro). So 5 for 2 positions, while zouma is currently competing against 2 (tomori, Andreas) for 2/3 positions. Completely different ball game.

Pulisic just needs some time. That's it. I expect him to be in and around the starting 11 during the December period.