Christian Pulisic

the wes

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Interesting read. The part about him being good defensively high up the pitch (so pressing) and good with the ball in the final third suggests that he's very much anti-Willian. Which is of course a great thing

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah a good article

Analysing Christian Pulisic and why big clubs covet his potential

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/german-bundesliga/10/blog/post/3502030/analysing-christian-pulisic-and-why-big-clubs-covet-his-potential

34 minutes ago, kobematabryant said:

It seems there is a lot of negativity around this signing. People are upset Pulisic is not from Argentina, Brazil or Spain, and the fact he is from the States. 

Hmm I think thats the last thing they are upset about. At least what I read. In fact, the biggest advantage is that he is from USA, so we can get alot of marketing publicity and fans because of that.

The negativity comes from factors like he doesnt play much and when he does, he doesnt perform that great. He cost 65m and comes only in summer. Needs much more development when we need a starter etc. 

Also him being american created big hype. Probably bigger than how promising he actualy is. 

1 minute ago, kobematabryant said:

It seems there is a lot of negativity around this signing. People are upset Pulisic is not from Argentina, Brazil or Spain, and the fact he is from the States. 

Multiple points

A personal one for me, I really do not push any players from Brasil or Argentina (other than Icardi, and he is an Italian citizen now too) that often. Spain even not so much.

The only Brasilians I have really mentioned as options (out of well over 100, 125 players) I rate (and are even remotely available, and some on this list are not now)

are 

Alex Telles (most assume he is Portuguese)

Éder Militão (recent option at CB)

Alex Sandro (off the board now for good)

Malcom

Vinícius Júnior (Real will not sell him, almost zero chance atm)

Talisca (off the table for now)

David Neres

Marquinhos (pipe dream)

Wendell

Matheus Cunha

thats only 10 in world football atm

Argentina is even less

Icardi

Dybala

Giovani Lo Celso (off the table unfornately, he will sign perm with Real Betis)

Leandro Paredes

Lautaro Martínez (and barely atm, he needs to prove himself)

Giovanni Simeone (far down my striker list)

Rodrigo de Paul (really underrated LW, but hardly a must have for me)

Exequiel Palacios (real Madrid soon buy him from River Plate)

that's it

between both countries I have pushed hard for less than 10 total

I think my track record of having a go at Willian, Morata, Alonso and Luiz pretty much makes that self-evident, along with many scouting recco's. (Vast majority are Italians, Germans, French)

The USA factor for me is that IF he was simply from Croatia and not born and raised in the USA, then the hype on him would be massively less. Now, his revenue generation will more than cover the price difference in what would be a ordinary £25m to £40m or so deal if he was straight from Eastern Europe. I just hope that he comes good ON THE PITCH.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Not going to shit on the deal or moan but I'm not over the moon either. So long as he isn't Hazard's replacement then I don't really see a downside to this transfer. At only 20 years old and with him being American, even if he is good but not great we'd make our money back. The whole loaning him back for the rest of the season is puzzling since as others have mentioned, he isn't a regular currently and we could use him now.

I think it's pretty clear that this was something in the works for a long while behind the scenes and that after spending such a big amount we won't be buying anyone else this month. Only outgoings like Cesc and maybe Moses & Cahill. Especially with Sarri saying (alarmingly) that we don't need a striker.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I suppose another promising sign with this deal following the massive prices paid for Morata and Kepa is that we now know that our club will splash out on a player if they really, really want them. There was a period there where we'd only be shopping in the "middle" tier and I wondered if we'd ever compete for top players again. We will do so if it's the right player in the clubs' eyes.

That's now 3 players purchased for more than £50m recently. 

I think we was holding back because of the stadium. After that went we spent nice in good players. 

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

No, as long as we make other moves. If we do what I posted above

Including the Hirving Lozano move (that means dumping Willian) our revenues from USA and Mexico would be insane

and our wingers would be

Pulisic

Lozano

Thorgan

CHO

Pedro

I can live with that completely as the big boy (Icardi) is between them

I would also love Lozano. I see him as a productive worker like Pedro or azpi. Won't be as flashy and dazzling as hazard but will be solid squad player. 

Really good player to have in the team. 

Two fairly general points on this move which are hopefully indicative of the club learning from their mistakes in 2017 summer:

1. Buying young. In a market that has gone completely insane in the last 18 months the club have brought Kepa and Pulisic who are two players very young with bags of potential to become amongst the best in their respective positions in the future, and Jorginho who at 26 and in his position we should also get the best years of his career. Bringing in a younger element to our squad to help refresh it has been needed for quite some time.

2. Less is more. Rather than buying more players and beefing up the squad depth, it looks like we may be moving back to perhaps a couple of players each summer/window but paying that bit more money for better quality and to look to improve the first XI, not the squad. This in turn would force us to start seriously considering players coming from our academy (via some loan experience) to fill the gaps in our squad. 

33 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Multiple points

A personal one for me, I really do not push any players from Brasil or Argentina (other than Icardi, and he is an Italian citizen now too) that often. Spain even not so much.

The only Brasilians I have really mentioned as options (out of well over 100, 125 players) I rate (and are even remotely available, and some on this list are not now)

are 

Alex Telles (most assume he is Portuguese)

Éder Militão (recent option at CB)

Alex Sandro (off the board now for good)

Malcom

Vinícius Júnior (Real will not sell him, almost zero chance atm)

Talisca (off the table for now)

David Neres

Marquinhos (pipe dream)

Wendell

Matheus Cunha

thats only 10 in world football atm

Argentina is even less

Icardi

Dybala

Giovani Lo Celso (off the table unfornately, he will sign perm with Real Betis)

Leandro Paredes

Lautaro Martínez (and barely atm, he needs to prove himself)

Giovanni Simeone (far down my striker list)

Rodrigo de Paul (really underrated LW, but hardly a must have for me)

Exequiel Palacios (real Madrid soon buy him from River Plate)

that's it

between both countries I have pushed hard for less than 10 total

I think my track record of having a go at Willian, Morata, Alonso and Luiz pretty much makes that self-evident, along with many scouting recco's. (Vast majority are Italians, Germans, French)

The USA factor for me is that IF he was simply from Croatia and not born and raised in the USA, then the hype on him would be massively less. Now, his revenue generation will more than cover the price difference in what would be a ordinary £25m to £40m or so deal if he was straight from Eastern Europe. I just hope that he comes good ON THE PITCH.

You have read too much into the point I was making. I was listing countries like Spain, Argentina or Brazil, because they are your traditional footballing nations, that have produced great quality in the past. You can add nations like France, Italy, Uruguay, Portugal, Germany onto that list. The point I'm making is that because Pulisic is from a nation, where football has a very low profile, he is being judged. USA have not produced anyone great in their history. 

Had Pulisic been a Brazilian, he would've been compared to Neymar or had he been Argentine, he would've been called the next Messi, and the list goes on. 

5 minutes ago, kobematabryant said:

You have read too much into the point I was making. I was listing countries like Spain, Argentina or Brazil, because they are your traditional footballing nations, that have produced great quality in the past. You can add nations like France, Italy, Uruguay, Portugal, Germany onto that list. The point I'm making is that because Pulisic is from a nation, where football has a very low profile, he is being judged. USA have not produced anyone great in their history. 

Had Pulisic been a Brazilian, he would've been compared to Neymar or had he been Argentine, he would've been called the next Messi, and the list goes on. 

I think the opposite.

He would have a far smaller profile if he was from (like I said) his Croatian ancestral homeland (or Spain, etc etc) and had no ties to the USA.