Nicolas Pepe

Unionjack

12 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Alexis is perfect example of just how much age, club and pressure affect the player. 

People however forget Pepe has to adapt two things. First is the league and second is the style of football. He played counter attacking football for Lille and now he is playing in a possession based one. He might be one footed, but his speed and dribbling ability along with finishing make him very dangerous. He will adapt. Berardo Silva went through similar process, going from a counter attacking ligue 1 side into possesion based PL one and it took him awhile. He likewise looked like a flop in the beggining too.

Pepe, like Ndombele will make it in PL or at the very least in a top club. 

Ndombele is already comfortably one of Spurs plus points this season if not the only one. He is a brilliant footballer,  great mix of physical and technical attributes.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Ndombele is already comfortably one of Spurs plus points this season if not the only one. He is a brilliant footballer,  great mix of physical and technical attributes.

Yeah I only pointed him out because many were sure he wont adapt to pl either. He is a brilliant player though.

• 1 month later...

He's not having a great time at Arsenal, is he?

And going by one of the talking points here from the Norwich-Arsenal game, sounds like Pepe is experiencing a 'Pulisic situation'...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-key-talking-points-new-manager-same-gunners-as-ljungbergs-first-game-highlights-glaring-a4301571.html

Ljungberg was expected to promote youth given his relationship with many of the club’s younger players from his time as Under 23s manager but Nicolas Pepe was nevertheless given a harsh reminder of his place in the pecking order here.

Having opted to start with Ozil wide on the left – a position Pepe would expect to occupy – Ljungberg decided to introduce Bukayo Saka and later Gabriel Martinelli from the bench.

There are plenty of matches ahead for Pepe to stake his claim but the club-record £72million signing clearly has his work cut out.

Whereas Pulisic started off badly, he has come off his own. Scoring 6 goals and a few assists too. Pepe has three goals but all from set pieces or a penalty kick. None from open player which is poor. When he started against Liverpool, he looked so dangerous and you were thinking once he settles in, he will be a big asset for them. The fact that they have had 2 games now, where they could have used him and left him as an unsued sub, shows the low level of confidence they have in him right now.

On 01/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, Jason said:

He's not having a great time at Arsenal, is he?

And going by one of the talking points here from the Norwich-Arsenal game, sounds like Pepe is experiencing a 'Pulisic situation'...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-key-talking-points-new-manager-same-gunners-as-ljungbergs-first-game-highlights-glaring-a4301571.html

I don't think we can really compare both players situations.

Pulisic was signed with the long term future in mind by a club who's expectations aren't/weren't very high. Pepe by comparison was the star purchase for a club who had a big summer spend geared on delivering immediately.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I don't think we can really compare both players situations.

Pulisic was signed with the long term future in mind by a club who's expectations aren't/weren't very high. Pepe by comparison was the star purchase for a club who had a big summer spend geared on delivering immediately.

Pepe still has time to come good, coming from Lille in the French league (at a level inferior to what Eden came from when we got him) to the PL is different. He is a good player, tad overrated (which is why I am happy we didnt get him at first because I thought he would need time to get upto speed in the PL and at 72m wasnt the best value) and his inflated fee hasnt helped along with Arsenals Arsenals inconsistencies. 

Still think Pulisic has got plenty to work to do although he has impressed me, didnt doubt his ability based on a difficult season at Dortmund but their were people who wrote him off before he had even kicked a ball.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Pepe still has time to come good, coming from Lille in the French league (at a level inferior to what Eden came from when we got him) to the PL is different. He is a good player, tad overrated (which is why I am happy we didnt get him at first because I thought he would need time to get upto speed in the PL and at 72m wasnt the best value) and his inflated fee hasnt helped along with Arsenals Arsenals inconsistencies. 

Still think Pulisic has got plenty to work to do although he has impressed me, didnt doubt his ability based on a difficult season at Dortmund but their were people who wrote him off before he had even kicked a ball.

He still has time to come good (although signs aren't promising so far) but he was always going to be judged harshly and early due to the circumstances he arrived.

Arsenal made some major investments with the aim of breaking into the top four minimum. Pepe was the statement signing out of them all, he was the one linked with top clubs (Bayern, us) and Arsenal got him, not only was it a statement signing the fans blew their load over getting him, that put an instant target on his back and pressure to deliver straight away.

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He still has time to good (although signs aren't promising so far) but he was always going to be judged harshly and early due to the circumstances he arrived.

Arsenal made some major investments with the aim of breaking into the top four minimum. Pepe was the statement signing out of them all, he was the one linked with top clubs (Bayern, us) and Arsenal got him, not only was it a statement signing the fans blew their load over getting him, that put an instant target on his back and pressure to deliver straight away.

In some ways, Pepe has been "fortunate" that the overall mess at Arsenal has been dominating the headlines. No one is talking about his struggles in England so far. Compare that to the mass hysteria from the US media when Pulisic wasn't playing!

32 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Obviously he can still improve because he's still young etc. People didn't fancy him because he isn't a flashy player or the flavor of the month. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You