Chelsea’s step up striker search as Blues bid to avoid repeat of recent stagnation

James

Callum WilsonChelsea linked with Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson. Wilson has directly contributed to 11 goals this season. READ MORE: West Ham show interest in loaning midfielder Chelsea’s striker search appears to be stepping up, despite Alvaro Morata’s good run of form. The Spaniard endured a difficult start to life under Maurizio Sarri. We were hoping for […]

View the full article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Callum Wilson. He's in more than one of my fantasy teams but this idea is an absolute non-starter. There is no doubt we need at least one new striker but Wilson won't fit the bill.

I know a significant percentage of our net transfer outlay in the Roman era was crammed into his first two seasons but, even so, we have been a big budget team throughout this period. (Particularly when you add wages and agent's fees.) Unfortunately we've consistently failed to get maximum return for our expenditure and you don't need to spend much time reading these pages to understand that we fans are as fed up with this as Roman himself must be. We want, and need, to be better at this.

What do we do to end these rinse and repeat failures? We ensure that our transfer targets have not just one or two, but all of the required attributes. Chief among these is technical excellence. It's a non-negotiable requirement for any player aspiring to be a top rank footballer. Wilson fails that test and must not be a Chelsea transfer target.

54 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

That looks like you're enjoying some very comfortable REM sleep. :)

Those 2 are the only sub 30 guaranteed upgrades who are remotely available

nothing has changed (well Martial is not leaving Manure now)

I can accept even Willian and Luiz for another year or two, but if (more like when) Morata crashes back down to reality

those 2 are the only real options who are available (and both will be HARD AS FUCK to get) IF we are serious about winning trophies

all other CF's are 30 somethings or are speculative or not attainable

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Those 2 are the only sub 30 guaranteed upgrades who are remotely available

nothing has changed (well Martial is not leaving Manure now)

I can accept even Willian and Luiz for another year or two, but if (more like when) Morata crashes back down to reality

those 2 are the only real options who are available (and both will be HARD AS FUCK to get) IF we are serious about winning trophies

all other CF's are 30 somethings or are speculative or not attainable

Our best bet is to try and get either Cavani or Suarez next summer because 1.) both will be good for two more seasons and 2.) Psg and Barca will probably look for younger strikers.

There are no available under 30 quality strikers we might get. Either they arent available, not good enough, too expensive for Chelsea or just unproven and we cant afford another expensive risk in striker department.

Just now, BlueLyon said:

Our best bet is to try and get either Cavani or Suarez next summer because 1.) both will be good for two more seasons and 2.) Psg and Barca will probably look for younger strikers.

There are no available under 30 quality strikers we might get. Either they arent available, not good enough, too expensive for Chelsea or just unproven and we cant afford another expensive risk in striker department.

Cavani is most likely the best stop-gap option, I have posited him multiple times, and he has a huge issue at PSG where Neymar and Mbappe are freezing him out.

Suarez is on verge of renewing with Barca, so I doubt we have a shot. Edin Dzeko would be probably number two option here, as Lewandowski will be (even at 30) still £80m to £100m (Bayern are crazy hard to deal with)

Batshuayi surely is worth one last go next pre-season, to decide once and for all if he will ever fit in here.

My other out of the box options were :

1     Anthony Modeste (30yo), currently in China, but a monster 2 seasons ago at Köln, with 25 league goals and for the year 34 in 43 all comps games. They got instantly relegated as soon as he left.

2      Crazytown option : Zlatan, as he can still score like a madman, even at 37

I just get a feeling we make no moves, the board seems paralysed, even to sell, and I think they (and Sarri to a point) still rate Morata. Certainly they really, really rate Willian and Luiz as well. I don't see us doing much in January. Hopefully I am wrong.

I do wish, we at least snap up Sandro Tonali from Serie B Brescia for the future. He is probably getting called up (at 18yo) for the Italian national first team this coming international break. I think he is Sarri's number one obsession (IMHO rightly so, AFTER Kai Havertz,, who is the only one better (different postion, AMF, though) IF we are talking under 20yo MFers) Joao Felix of Benfica (AMF) and Ryan Gravenberch of Ajax (only 16yo, lolol) would be the other potentially great teen MF'ers out there atm.