24. Reece James

the wes

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

It is funny that he always injures himself with the English U21 team. RJ is sadly also an injury prone player

I wouldn't exactly call injury prone someone who's played 83 competitive club games in the last two seasons. Unlucky if anything.

And it still hasn't been said whether he's injured or out for another reason.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Thought he was not really good apart from the goal

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. The difference between him and Lamptey was clear. But nice goal and assist from him.

Azpi is better at building up from the back, i hope reece is on the bench against Liverpool.

Having said that, I'm interested to see how many assists he gets with a season of werner havertz and pulisic in the box.

His speed looked decent as well.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

I was thinking the same thing. The difference between him and Lamptey was clear. But nice goal and assist from him.

I think it was more the way we were set up. No real link up play. He is dangerous when ocerlapping and crossing (aka the corner that he won, and the move just before that). The 4-2-4 really cost us fluidity. Also, don't think he had an issues in defensive. He was solid.

Lamptey really looks great. But he was also playing against alonso, so need to take that into account. Such games come at q premium where you can give your opposing defender a 10 yard head start, and still easily catch up, where you know his crossing is shit so no need to worry, his speed is shit, so he won't be able to go past you, plus his defending is mega shit, so you anyways are going to own his ass. 

2 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

I think it was more the way we were set up. No real link up play. He is dangerous when ocerlapping and crossing (aka the corner that he won, and the move just before that). The 4-2-4 really cost us fluidity. Also, don't think he had an issues in defensive. He was solid.

Lamptey really looks great. But he was also playing against alonso, so need to take that into account. 

He just has this lack of Urgency about him that I don't like. Just like RLC, no energy. Fullbacks should be energetic, that's the strongest quality for a fullback.

16 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

He just has this lack of Urgency about him that I don't like. Just like RLC, no energy. Fullbacks should be energetic, that's the strongest quality for a fullback.

I do get that. But don't think he should be judged on that. 

I mean honestly, except for that one time in the 2nd half, did Brighton even have a sniff down the right all game?

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Thought he was not really good apart from the goal

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Not really good but still one of our better players behind only Werner and Kanté imo. He also had the assist for the third goal. His performance was good because he stepped up big time when the team conceded a typical goal that usually set us back last season - completely cancelled out the negativity that would've followed. I'm sure he was MOTM actually. 

43 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

He was very active today. I get that sometimes he looks nonchalant but not fair of you to say that he played like this today. 

James is a beast going forward. His goal was great in so many aspects, not only the shooting, but the way he went to the mid to receive the ball, instead of staying wide waiting for the ball. Going forward he has so much more to offer compared to Azpi. To other side he really needs to improve his defensive game. During part of the games our right side was an open avenue for Brighton going forward. 

9 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Big fan of James but yes I think this type of urgency, assertiveness and progression is what he needs to go to the next level. Lamptey was a perfect example today where he of course has talent but also just does everything quickly. I know it sounds kinda ambiguous / general but I think it’s what separates best attacking full backs from ok ones. Robertson is a good example of someone who does it well. Emerson lacked this as well even though he did have some ability.

2 hours ago, ja1 said:

Big fan of James but yes I think this type of urgency, assertiveness and progression is what he needs to go to the next level. Lamptey was a perfect example today where he of course has talent but also just does everything quickly. I know it sounds kinda ambiguous / general but I think it’s what separates best attacking full backs from ok ones. Robertson is a good example of someone who does it well. Emerson lacked this as well even though he did have some ability.

You just explained my mind perfectly. Robertson is a great fullback just for how energetic he runs on the pitch. While Emerson was a disaster because he refused to run or assert himself in matches. 

James should make a lot more runs in behind, show some energy and he'll be one of the best in the league immediately. 

James with his calmness actually seems to me like a midfielder sometimes instead of a fullback.