24. Reece James

the wes

4 hours ago, Nicco said:

Our only future world class youngster, hopefully this is signed as soon as possible.

He probably has the biggest potential of all of our youngsters but I personally think it's impossible to make a comment such as our only future world class youngster.

I think all the young players we have (including Pulisic) in the first team squad this season are excellent players for their age and it remains to be seen how each player 'kicks on' and develops further with more experience and game time over the next couple of seasons.

You only have to look to the manager for a late bloomer. Whilst he was a good premier league midfielder, I don't think any Chelsea fan would have expected Lampard to be regarded as world class by the end of his career in his first 18 months at the club. He only really started showing that form at about 25-26 years old and arguably his peak was just shy of turning 32 years old when he scored 22 goals in 36 games in the Premier League in 2009/10.

Hopefully Reece and Tammy both commit their long term futures to the club and they'll all be tied down for years to come and all deliver on their potential for Chelsea.

8 hours ago, Nicco said:

Our only future world class youngster, hopefully this is signed as soon as possible.

World class being thrown around again regarding our youngsters. I know we havent ever had 3, 4 or 5 youngsters breaking through at once in god knows how long, which is exciting but when will we not get ahead of ourselves? The same with the right side set for years article based off a FA cup game vs a second string Notts Forrest team. Even Andreas got the whole best young CB in the world after 3 months with Conte and look at him now. When they are world class then say they are world class. Let them develop. When they get there then yeah fair enough.

It is great news hes signing a new deal, hes impressed me in stages this season so hopefully he can continue to play and kick on as he still has a lot of work to do to fulfill his potential. As do the rest of the youngsters. 

On 09/01/2020 at 5:45 AM, OneMoSalah said:

World class being thrown around again regarding our youngsters. I know we havent ever had 3, 4 or 5 youngsters breaking through at once in god knows how long, which is exciting but when will we not get ahead of ourselves? The same with the right side set for years article based off a FA cup game vs a second string Notts Forrest team. Even Andreas got the whole best young CB in the world after 3 months with Conte and look at him now. When they are world class then say they are world class. Let them develop. When they get there then yeah fair enough.

It is great news hes signing a new deal, hes impressed me in stages this season so hopefully he can continue to play and kick on as he still has a lot of work to do to fulfill his potential. As do the rest of the youngsters. 

Everybody needs to read the post to which I'm replying and, if they find that they can't agree with it, then read it again. This particularly applies to people who don't follow Chelsea closely, and who are therefore at risk of being influenced by ill informed media assessments.

As it happens Reece is the only one of our youngsters on whom I am fully sold. With the rest of them, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is either still out, or it's in and the verdict is not good.

14 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Couldn't agree more. Unless we're talking a Messi or Mbappe talent, it's impossible to make a judgement on a player at 19, 20 years old. It seems like most are either grossly underrated and written off, or massively overrated and hyped beyond all realistic expectation.

This season has shown a bold shift in mentality at the club and it's been refreshing but by no means is it anywhere near finished, the last few weeks are a reminder of that. 

Let them develop and let's see what we have in 2 or 3 seasons time. I, like I'm sure most Chelsea fans, am hoping to see them all here in amongst the first team squad making important contributions to a winning team (fingers crossed still being led and coached by Super Frank). 

9 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Nice to have him tied down for the long haul. Hopefully, Tammy isn't far off as well.

Don't think there was ever any danger with Reece. Tammy i think is waiting on who our new striker is, if it's a striker who will keep him honest but he's more than capable of swatting aside (like Dembele) I think he'll sign, if it's Werner we may have a problem.

Don't think there was ever any danger with Reece. Tammy i think is waiting on who our new striker is, if it's a striker who will keep him honest but he's more than capable of swatting aside (like Dembele) I think he'll sign, if it's Werner we may have a problem.
We have to effectively handicap ourselves to please him?

If that really is the case, I know what we should be doing. Competition never hurt anyone.

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Tammy i think is waiting on who our new striker is, if it's a striker who will keep him honest but he's more than capable of swatting aside (like Dembele) I think he'll sign, if it's Werner we may have a problem.

You forgot to mention the wages (vs CHO) as well.