24. Reece James

the wes

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

He (Azpi) is a good option as a squad player. Experience, knowledge of, and commitment to, the club, plus the ability to cover three positions.

Can azpi play as cb? Tomori and azpi cb? 

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Do you agree that Azpi's most consistent performances for Chelsea came when he played at CB, albeit in a three?

Yes that's why we don't need to bench azpi. He will do better then zouma. Just get James and Emerson as Lb and RB. 

21 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I believe in Frank. Over the years whenever people have talked of JT as a future Chelsea boss, I have said no, absolutely not for me. I have always said that I wanted, one day, to see Frank in the job however. I have absolute confidence that SFL will handle this in the right way.

As for succession planning, Cesc Fabregas is the man I'd pencil in as Frank's successor if the need arises. I hope he'd have the sense to choose us over Arsenal if he had the choice.

That's an interesting choice I never really thought of him.

One issue with Cesc though maybe we could be a in a position that Arsenal were when they had him as a player in that he will have half an eye on Barcelona which will mean we will need a contingency plan if/when the time comes.

46 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I believe in Frank. Over the years whenever people have talked of JT as a future Chelsea boss, I have said no, absolutely not for me. I have always said that I wanted, one day, to see Frank in the job however. I have absolute confidence that SFL will handle this in the right way.

Just curious, what's the reason(s) why you do not want to see JT as our manager? 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Just curious, what's the reason(s) why you do not want to see JT as our manager? 

I think Frank is more articulate and intuitive. He shares strength of character with JT but he is also more charming and seems to me to be more capable of influencing people around him. That includes Roman, the board, the press, everybody. I expect him, gradually, to be granted more influence at board level than any other manager in the Roman era. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

Yes that's why we don't need to bench azpi. He will do better then zouma. Just get James and Emerson as Lb and RB. 

That's an option for sure and of course Frank has tried a three as well so that's a route SFL must be looking at. Ah, a back three. Fond memories of the days when we didn't have to hide behind the sofa every time the Blues concede a corner, or free kick near their box. :)

9 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think Frank is more articulate and intuitive. He shares strength of character with JT but he is also more charming and seems to me to be more capable of influencing people around him. That includes Roman, the board, the press, everybody. I expect him, gradually, to be granted more influence at board level than any other manager in the Roman era. We'll see.

I feel the same. Terry does not do it for me as a manager. Not even cesc. Cesc is smart but he does not have the charisma that Lampard has. Cesc is more likely to go down the road of Sarri that is stubborn and has to be his philosophy. 

I always imagine how Lampard would do as a manager because of his IQ, his influence in the club and how well he composed himself with others. And so far is going better then I imagine. 

I think this style of play is the one that AVB wanted to implement back then, I remember one or two games where we played nice but AVB downfall was his character. 

So character plays a big part. Now as I take a look at the the players we have and a future for them in coaching I only see azpi and Jorginho. With Jorginho the clear standout to do big things as well. Jorginho has that intelligence of the game and the little I know about his character is leadership and intuitive. 

57 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

James has Bad luck that Azpi is our Captain. He would be a starter now if Azpi was not our Captain

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Him being captain shouldn’t matter. It’s not as if Dave is some outstanding leader. He’s actually proved that isn’t the case at all.

If starting Dave over James on the notion because he is captain, thus becoming detrimental to the team, Lampard deserves to be heavily criticised. 

Him being captain shouldn’t matter. It’s not as if Dave is some outstanding leader. He’s actually proved that isn’t the case at all.
 If starting Dave over James on the notion because he is captain, thus becoming detrimental to the team, Lampard deserves to be heavily criticised. 
James will not get much game iime this season. Maybe next season or the season after that. Azpi scored also a goal and Lamps will not bench him.

Lamps should be heavily criticised for that. There is no reason to play Azpi no more. Emerson and RJ should be starter.

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

James has Bad luck that Azpi is our Captain. He would be a starter now if Azpi was not our Captain

1. Not saying Azpi was great yesterday but he has been in good form after rediscovering it following the early season shambles. No one said a thing during then and suddenly the wolves are now out in force after a game where almost everyone was bad. 

2. James is no doubt our future but he just came back from an injury not too long ago. It's understandable why perhaps Lampard didn't necessarily want to throw straight into the action seeing what's happened with Kante, Rudiger. Also, James had a quiet game against Man United and no one said a thing. One good half against Ajax and it's all the rage all of a sudden.

3. Having 3 young defenders in the back is a tad overkill, no? James, Tomori and Zouma. As much as James is better at going forward than Azpi, he still has to learn a lot from a defensive point of view. There's no guarantee James won't make the kind of mistakes seen with Azpi. 

3. Having 3 young defenders in the back is a tad overkill, no? James, Tomori and Zouma. As much as James is better at going forward than Azpi, he still has to learn a lot from a defensive point of view. There's no guarantee James won't make the kind of mistakes seen with Azpi. 

I think we'd happily take a few mistakes if there was output going the other way. Azpi just can't affect the game going forward to save his life & most around here accepted that a while back.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

I think we'd happily take a few mistakes if there was output going the other way. Azpi just can't affect the game going forward to save his life & most around here accepted that a while back.

I don't disagree but I think some times, you can't substitute experience for other things. It's quite risky having James, Tomori and Zouma operating in the back 4 at this point. 

Lampard has man managed the players well so far. So, I would like to believe that he knows what he's doing with James and when he's going to make that succession happen. 

I don't disagree but I think some times, you can't substitute experience for other things. It's quite risky having James, Tomori and Zouma operating in the back 4 at this point. 
Lampard has man managed the players well so far. So, I would like to believe that he knows what he's doing with James and when he's going to make that succession happen. 
Let's hope so. Rudiger slotting back in would certainly address the lack of balance in that sense.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

1. Not saying Azpi was great yesterday but he has been in good form after rediscovering it following the early season shambles. No one said a thing during then and suddenly the wolves are now out in force after a game where almost everyone was bad. 

2. James is no doubt our future but he just came back from an injury not too long ago. It's understandable why perhaps Lampard didn't necessarily want to throw straight into the action seeing what's happened with Kante, Rudiger. Also, James had a quiet game against Man United and no one said a thing. One good half against Ajax and it's all the rage all of a sudden.

Your third point is being massively overlooked by most. Take Azpilicueta out of our defence at present and there's absolutely no experience and leadership in there (including keeper). 

Now moving Azpi to left back and playing Reece at right back is certainly an option. It's strange but he seems to be more comfortable on the left side than he does on the right and with so many 'inverted' wingers nowadays I think it makes his defending easier with players looking to cut back against his stronger foot. 

When Rudiger is back fit and playing, Azpi's experience becomes less of a priority but at present its invaluable amongst so many younger players.