test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

24. Reece James

Started by the wes,

458 posts in this topic

I'm a youth haters and I'm all in for Jimmy the tank engine to be given a starting place.

The boy is a star

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hate to sound like a huge cunt but 90 minutes v Grimsby and already seeing can be one of the best in the world and should be made captain etc. Jeez. Think thats a bit far fetched after 1 full game and I rate him very highly. Dont even think McEachran got such praise after strolling it vs Marseille and Newcastle.

Yes he played well,  yes he got 2 assists but tougher tests will come for him and the other guys but its a good start.

We need to be wary with these guys theres still a long way for them to go although tonight was very promising. Gives Lampard food for thought though,  which I am sure he will appreciate knowning he can trust these guys in certain games if he needs to for rotations and suspensions.

I followed him when playing for Wigan already and i can not remember a 18/19 y.o. consistently outperforming the best 2nd division in the world. This match just showed he can also do it for Chelsea. So I only said if he continues his trajectory (no injuries etc) he will be world class, not that he will definitely become this way

39 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hate to sound like a huge cunt but 90 minutes v Grimsby and already seeing can be one of the best in the world and should be made captain etc. Jeez. Think thats a bit far fetched after 1 full game and I rate him very highly. Dont even think McEachran got such praise after strolling it vs Marseille and Newcastle.

Yes he played well,  yes he got 2 assists but tougher tests will come for him and the other guys but its a good start.

We need to be wary with these guys theres still a long way for them to go although tonight was very promising. Gives Lampard food for thought though,  which I am sure he will appreciate knowning he can trust these guys in certain games if he needs to for rotations and suspensions.

People aren't kneejerking based on tonight, they are basing it on years of watching him.

The Skipper and Strike like this

43 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

He only got 1 assist. The supposedly first for Batshuayi took a deflection off a defender before reaching him. 

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

People aren't kneejerking based on tonight, they are basing it on years of watching him.

Perhaps but again, still have to keep our feet on the ground regarding him, Mount, Tomori, Abraham, Callum etc. We are still early in the season. Its extremely promising these guys are doing well so far but it still can go both ways. I have huge hopes for them all but we need to be wary before throwing phrases like potentially world class or captain material based on reserve games, championship games and 1 cup game.

31 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I followed him when playing for Wigan already and i can not remember a 18/19 y.o. consistently outperforming the best 2nd division in the world. This match just showed he can also do it for Chelsea. So I only said if he continues his trajectory (no injuries etc) he will be world class, not that he will definitely become this way

Ive seen him play for the u18s and several times for Wigan as well and while he has excelled there we have to be careful with the expectations. The seasons still very early. He still has to do it in the PL which I am sure he can do as Tomori, Abraham, Mount etc have done well in so far but its just the start and theres a long way to go. Will reserve any judgements about being potentially world class or whatever until hes had a consistent period of time in the team.to show this.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

He only got 1 assist. The supposedly first for Batshuayi took a deflection off a defender before reaching him. 

Just shows how flawed the way TPTB define the word 'assist' is.

To give a couple of random examples Mount last season for Derby away to Millwall I think it waa dummied the ball for Nugent to go through and score but doesn't technically get the assist because he didn't touch it while whoever passed the ball before Hazard ran through half of Arsenal's team technically get an assist on the record book.

Unless they assist at a crazy rate like KDB or prime Cesc I tend to ignore it as a barometer of a player.

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Just shows how flawed the way TPTB define the word 'assist' is.

To give a couple of random examples Mount last season for Derby away to Millwall I think it waa dummied the ball for Nugent to go through and score but doesn't technically get the assist because he didn't touch it while whoever passed the ball before Hazard ran through half of Arsenal's team technically get an assist on the record book.

Unless they assist at a crazy rate like KDB or prime Cesc I tend to ignore it as a barometer of a player.

Courtois got assist here :)

Tomo likes this

1 minute ago, NikkiCFC said:

Courtois got assist here :)

Went to that one, me and my mate when back to our accomodation (don't live in London) thinking we got ourselves a bargain in Zappa and Moses was out of the team for good.....

NikkiCFC and !Hazard! like this

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Perhaps but again, still have to keep our feet on the ground regarding him, Mount, Tomori, Abraham, Callum etc. We are still early in the season. Its extremely promising these guys are doing well so far but it still can go both ways. I have huge hopes for them all but we need to be wary before throwing phrases like potentially world class or captain material based on reserve games, championship games and 1 cup game.

No feet on the ground. This generation is gonna be massive :D

Vesper likes this

On 25/09/2019 at 9:39 PM, Artandur said:

New contract now please

I'd be really happy to see Reece extend his deal but remember he did sign a new contract last summer.

On 25/09/2019 at 9:47 PM, ja1 said:

I’m trying to be conscious of not putting too much expectation on this guy but at the same time I can’t help but be excited by him. He can pass, cross, shoot, he’s strong, he can defend, he can beat a man, the strength and aggression, the mentality.. in fact, if this season goes well for him, I would want him to be captain. May seem crazy but the way I see it, he is (in my opinion) already one of our more talented and complete players, he has extensive previous leadership history (captaining youth sides and even Wigan) and it would kind of symbolise Frank and Jodie’s new era of the academy. Feels right.

for similar reasons I also thought about the possibility of Mount getting it, but James just has more likelihood of making position his own in short and long term (no slight on Mount). 

And also..it seems he officially is credited with two assists tonight.🔥

It really should be only one assist. 🙂

People outside the club, as well as in, have been talking of Reece as a future club captain since he broke into the U18 squad and it's clear to see why.

Vesper likes this

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It really should be only one assist. 🙂

People outside the club, as well as in, have been talking of Reece as a future club captain since he broke into the U18 squad and it's clear to see why.

Reason I said that is the official Chelsea twitter account after the game made a tweet insinuating it had been decided that James officially has two assists:

But since then different statistical sources all say different things. One for the ‘dubious assists panel’? 😂

Yeah with the RJ for captain thing, to be clear I’m not saying he should get it now of course. But if he has a good season, aka ends this season as the undisputed first XI RB, he would really be someone I heavily consider for reasons I said in first post. I really hope it doesn’t come across too much like I just saw him play that Grimsby game and thought ‘he’s my captain now’ I thought for a while rather than Rudi/Jorgi it maybe could be a youth player, and James is best candidate for that out of our players coming through. 

Another thing/reason I’m for this is all fans like RJ..this is rare 😂 Even with some of our best young players, or senior players, there’s still a minority, sometimes sizable portion of fans that maybe don’t rate them. Mount, RLC, Jorginho, Abraham, everyone. James doesn’t have that. Maybe he will over course of season, but even the most skeptical of youth fans buy into him right now. He had a similar effect at Wigan. 

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

Reason I said that is the official Chelsea twitter account after the game made a tweet insinuating it had been decided that James officially has two assists:

But since then different statistical sources all say different things. One for the ‘dubious assists panel’? 😂

Yeah with the RJ for captain thing, to be clear I’m not saying he should get it now of course. But if he has a good season, aka ends this season as the undisputed first XI RB, he would really be someone I heavily consider for reasons I said in first post. I really hope it doesn’t come across too much like I just saw him play that Grimsby game and thought ‘he’s my captain now’ I thought for a while rather than Rudi/Jorgi it maybe could be a youth player, and James is best candidate for that out of our players coming through. 

Another thing/reason I’m for this is all fans like RJ..this is rare 😂 Even with some of our best young players, or senior players, there’s still a minority, sometimes sizable portion of fans that maybe don’t rate them. Mount, RLC, Jorginho, Abraham, everyone. James doesn’t have that. Maybe he will over course of season, but even the most skeptical of youth fans buy into him right now. He had a similar effect at Wigan. 

I like your point about the, let's use the word, unanimous support Reece has from fans and the similar status he held at Wigan. It's a consideration for sure.

Reece is already too old to become our youngest ever full time captain so we can't get away with just saying he's too young for the job. If, when the time comes, Frank, Jody and Reece think it's the thing to do then I'm on board. 

On 25/09/2019 at 9:46 PM, Magic Lamps said:

Dude must sign that contract and be the first name on the teamsheet on Saturday. What a performance once more.

I have never seen such maturity, intelligence and awareness for space and timing of passes and dribblings from a 19 year old right back since Philipp Lahm. And Reece has twice the built, dribbling ability and pace as Lahm. If he continues this trajectory without any injuries or he wil be the best right back in the world no doubt (Meanwhile at the exact time I wrote this Wan-Bissaka missed an open net.... ).

I agree hugely on the Philip Lahm comparison. Could be our very own Philip Lahm. Huge talent.