test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LDN Blue

Joe Cole

Started by LDN Blue,

191 posts in this topic

Joe Cole makes Tampa Bay Rowdies debut after leaving Coventry City

One-time Chelsea favourite has moved to Florida after a spell in League One

Former Coventry City midfielder Joe Cole made his debut for North American Soccer League side Tampa Bay Rowdies on Saturday night.After signing last week, the 34-year-old went straight into the starting line-up for Rowdies 1-1 draw with Rayo OKC in front of a 6,702 crowd at Al Lang Stadium.The away side took the lead in the 54th minute after a mix-up between keeper Matt Pickens and defender Tamika Mkandawire for Michel to tap in.Rowdies soon pulled level through an own goal and Cole thought he had contributed to the winning goal with two minutes to play as his precise free-kick was turned in by Tommy Heinemann.However, the celebrations were short-lived with the referee judging he had not restarted play and the Rowdies had to settle for the point.

Cole was used sparingly by Tony Mowbray at Sky Blues after undergoing his own mini pre-season and he hopes to be still able to contribute to the NASL season.He added: "It's a difficult one as I've had a long hard season at Coventry so I could have waited until the fall season and started afresh - as you're carrying a few nicks and knocks - but I think it's important I get going. There's a break soon and you'll probably see the best of me in the Fall Season."He also revealed ex-Sky Blues team-mate Andy Rose, who moved over from MLS side Seattle Sounders, played a role in persuading him to make the move.He added: "Andy knows some of the guys in the dressing room. He was telling me I made the right choice."

coventrytelegraph.net

nike.png