• Kante
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Loftus-Cheek (sub)

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

1. Can't blame opposing teams but it's kinda frustrating how they are still attempting to play a back five against us. :rant: No doubt we will face more of such teams, especially at the Bridge, and we need to get better at smashing those fucking buses down! Had a lot of the possession again but struggled to create many clear cut chances. On a positive note though, it's four wins out of four. We picked up only 4 points from the same fixtures last season!

2. Better defensively today but Bournemouth still had 2 great chances - better than ours - to score. Thankfully, Wilson and Ake didn't have their shooting boots on.

3. I've tried to defend Morata long enough but think it's time for Sarri to consider starting Giroud instead. He had more of an impact in 30 minutes than Morata in 60 and with teams likely to continue parking the bus against us, Giroud's attributes would add more of a threat upfront. Morata easily goes missing when teams crowd him out - as seen against Newcastle and Bournemouth - and does nothing different to try an unsettle them. Plus, it's not like Giroud is alien to playing an attacking approach like Sarri's.

4. What was going on with Rudiger and Alonso today? Did okay but then had stupid off the ball incidents. Could have easily been sent off considering the ref was Lee Mason! :doh: 

In regard to Alonso and Rüdiger incidents, they may have been a little dumb to do what they did but the Bournemouth players diving to the ground on both occasions like they had been shot was pathetic. Just a bit of gamesmanship from our lads and the Bournemouth players were trying to get them sent off or win a pen. Thankfully the ref today wasn't buying it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

In regard to Alonso and Rüdiger incidents, they may have been a little dumb to do what they did but the Bournemouth players diving to the ground on both occasions like they had been shot was pathetic. Just a bit of gamesmanship from our lads and the Bournemouth players were trying to get them sent off or win a pen. Thankfully the ref today wasn't buying it.

Regardless of whether the Bournemouth players made the most of it, if you start to do 'unusual things', then you leave yourself at the mercy of the referee. Do we really want that given some referees like to be at the centre of attention (e.g Mike Dean)?

And on the two incidents, there was no need for them to do anything at all, especially in Rudiger's case. His back pass was safely going to Kepa and Fraser wasn't even close to getting to it but Rudiger felt the need to make contact with him for some reason. 

This was another game where we were like a rolls royce going forward. Lovely football, and everyone knowing the part they play in it, and I love it. But.......defensively we still need a shitload of work. I know we kept a clean sheet but the unforced errors and poor positioning are a big worry for me. Luiz could have cost us a goal through a mistake and then another by not tracking back, Ake unmarked in the box should have scored from a corner but we got lucky.

In our last two games we have had over 70% of the play which means our defending is mainly done by attacking, but when we play the bigger teams and we have less possession I am a tad fearful for our defenders and I'm not sure if Christensen or Luiz are the answer. I would love to see one signing in the next window and that's Harry Maguire, a no nonsence centre back who could become.an integral part of our team. But this is probably a pipe dream to far.

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Kinda think is Kante really necessary for games like this. Think games like this is the perfect game for Cesc when he comes back. 

The Luiz mistake that Kante intercepted is the reason Kante is always needed plus he helps us press and recover the ball early in the box. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

1. Can't blame opposing teams but it's kinda frustrating how they are still attempting to play a back five against us. :rant: No doubt we will face more of such teams, especially at the Bridge, and we need to get better at smashing those fucking buses down! Had a lot of the possession again but struggled to create many clear cut chances. On a positive note though, it's four wins out of four. We picked up only 4 points from the same fixtures last season!

2. Better defensively today but Bournemouth still had 2 great chances - better than ours - to score. Thankfully, Wilson and Ake didn't have their shooting boots on.

3. I've tried to defend Morata long enough but think it's time for Sarri to consider starting Giroud instead. He had more of an impact in 30 minutes than Morata in 60 and with teams likely to continue parking the bus against us, Giroud's attributes would add more of a threat upfront. Morata easily goes missing when teams crowd him out - as seen against Newcastle and Bournemouth - and does nothing different to try an unsettle them. Plus, it's not like Giroud is alien to playing an attacking approach like Sarri's.

4. What was going on with Rudiger and Alonso today? Did okay but then had stupid off the ball incidents. Could have easily been sent off considering the ref was Lee Mason! :doh: 

Every team knows we have some difficulties against stacked defences and at same time they know they can do us on counter because frankly we are shit in defense quite often. After Arsenal, every team realized their chances lie in packed defence and wait for counters against us.

Bournemouth usualy plays nice football, but even they decided to shut themselves down today. Games will be like this for whole season. Its whats expected. Only City will play their game, others will park the bus.

The question is can we break down defenses and keep our goal protected.

As for Morata, the less said the better. For this system we need a quality finisher, so we can capitalize on all the possession and chances. If we had one, title would be serious, serious possibility.

This is my findings.

We are dead lucky teams can't finish against us, Arse really fucked up, they on chances could have won 3-5, then Bournemouth could at least got a 2-2- draw, both these teams were appalling finishers.

Newcastle we won by a very dubious penalty, and an OG, our defensive performances worry the life out of me, for a start Sarri needs to get Luiz out of the side.

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Newcastle we won by a very dubious penalty, and an OG

Getting sick and tired of hearing/reading people say we only beat Newcastle because of a penalty and an own goal. Are we the only team to have won a game in such manner? It may have been a penalty and an own goal but those situations came about because we tried to make things happen. If you don't make things happen, you won't get the goals. If you want to talk about dubious penalty, then you should have mentioned Newcastle's dubious equalizer as well. On the winner, if Yedlin hadn't put the ball into his own net, Barkley would have scored it anyway. If people are gonna start complaining how we only win games because of lucky situations, then they might as well say teams only win games because opposing teams are rubbish at defending. 

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Regardless of whether the Bournemouth players made the most of it, if you start to do 'unusual things', then you leave yourself at the mercy of the referee. Do we really want that given some referees like to be at the centre of attention (e.g Mike Dean)?

And on the two incidents, there was no need for them to do anything at all, especially in Rudiger's case. His back pass was safely going to Kepa and Fraser wasn't even close to getting to it but Rudiger felt the need to make contact with him for some reason. 

Dont know about you but I was shouting at the telly at that!

What I'm waiting for is for Luiz to do a Le Arseholes and get a red about this time last year.

Tunnelcam

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

This is my findings.

We are dead lucky teams can't finish against us, Arse really fucked up, they on chances could have won 3-5, then Bournemouth could at least got a 2-2- draw, both these teams were appalling finishers.

Newcastle we won by a very dubious penalty, and an OG, our defensive performances worry the life out of me, for a start Sarri needs to get Luiz out of the side.

Whereas I totally agree with you on our defensive frailities I think that perhaps you are not giving Chelsea enough credit for the way we play. When you say Arse fucked up, Yes to an extent they did. They could have had a few goals but for poor finishing. But on the other hand we took our chances and kept playing with our high press to keep them under the cosh even after they had come back. Last season under Conte we would have thrown in the towel at 2-2 and closed up shop through fear. Bournemouth yes could have had 2 goals, but again fluffed their lines, but we took our chances, after grinding them down. It is very hard to play against a nine man defence and we have done that in our last two games. Newcastle reminded me of us against City last season, and we did to Newcastle what City done to us. I totally agree about our defence and bigger teams will punish us. This part of the team has had no investment during the transfer window, and Luiz is a worry. But look at Klopp at Liverpool, same scenario last year. A rolls Royce forward line, and a Morris Minor defence, but he worked on it slowly and now has a formidable defence. Sarri will do the same in time. Everyone sees our weakness, but everyone also sees the huge culture change that is happening at the Bridge, and I for one love it. Yes we are poor at the back at times, Yes, we also ride our luck at times too, but the football is good and a work in progress. If you had been offered 4 wins out of your first 4 games you would have said perhaps a tad ambitious, but we have done it with a team in transition. Even if we win nothing this season I am liking what I see, and I think in time we will see a much improved team including our defence, and Luiz will slowly be eased out of the side. The way I see us playing now is that if the opposition score 3 we will score 4. We will create chances, and so will the opposition, because thats the way we are set up, and we,as fans, will take some time to get used to it after the way the team over the past 10 years has been set up more defensively minded under Mourinho and Conte. So Bigbluewillie, sit back and enjoy the ride my friend, it's gonna big fun.

3 hours ago, Starman60 said:

Whereas I totally agree with you on our defensive frailities I think that perhaps you are not giving Chelsea enough credit for the way we play. When you say Arse fucked up, Yes to an extent they did. They could have had a few goals but for poor finishing. But on the other hand we took our chances and kept playing with our high press to keep them under the cosh even after they had come back. Last season under Conte we would have thrown in the towel at 2-2 and closed up shop through fear. Bournemouth yes could have had 2 goals, but again fluffed their lines, but we took our chances, after grinding them down. It is very hard to play against a nine man defence and we have done that in our last two games. Newcastle reminded me of us against City last season, and we did to Newcastle what City done to us. I totally agree about our defence and bigger teams will punish us. This part of the team has had no investment during the transfer window, and Luiz is a worry. But look at Klopp at Liverpool, same scenario last year. A rolls Royce forward line, and a Morris Minor defence, but he worked on it slowly and now has a formidable defence. Sarri will do the same in time. Everyone sees our weakness, but everyone also sees the huge culture change that is happening at the Bridge, and I for one love it. Yes we are poor at the back at times, Yes, we also ride our luck at times too, but the football is good and a work in progress. If you had been offered 4 wins out of your first 4 games you would have said perhaps a tad ambitious, but we have done it with a team in transition. Even if we win nothing this season I am liking what I see, and I think in time we will see a much improved team including our defence, and Luiz will slowly be eased out of the side. The way I see us playing now is that if the opposition score 3 we will score 4. We will create chances, and so will the opposition, because thats the way we are set up, and we,as fans, will take some time to get used to it after the way the team over the past 10 years has been set up more defensively minded under Mourinho and Conte. So Bigbluewillie, sit back and enjoy the ride my friend, it's gonna big fun.

Sarri made a very prescient comment post game. He said these grinder games play into his hand as we utterly wear out the other team with passing and pressing for the first 60 to 70 minutes, then we go in for the kill.

12 hours ago, Vesper said:

Sarri made a very prescient comment post game. He said these grinder games play into his hand as we utterly wear out the other team with passing and pressing for the first 60 to 70 minutes, then we go in for the kill.

Had to look up what prescient  meant but I suppose thats right.

But the lads have to remember, ALL of them, that we aren't that ball carrying team now that should be relying on dribbles. OK we all like to see them when they come off but thos system we have going shows that theres 2 ways to skin a cat and it works much better when the whole team is in on it

But its still early and its a learning curve. These soddin internationals come at a piss poor time eh

5 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Had to look up what prescient  meant but I suppose thats right.

But the lads have to remember, ALL of them, that we aren't that ball carrying team now that should be relying on dribbles. OK we all like to see them when they come off but thos system we have going shows that theres 2 ways to skin a cat and it works much better when the whole team is in on it

But its still early and its a learning curve. These soddin internationals come at a piss poor time eh

I should have added post NEWCASTLE game comments, as that is where the prescient part (in regards to Bournemouth) came into being (ie.a comment that explains future events)

sorry for the confusion

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

I should have added post NEWCASTLE game comments, as that is where the prescient part (in regards to Bournemouth) came into being (ie.a comment that explains future events)

sorry for the confusion

I'm more confused now, than when I was confused:D