• Barkley
    • Pedro
    • Willian
    • Morata
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

3 minutes ago, Antonio8 said:

imho both the teams could win the match or draw, they missed many unbelievable chances to score 

sarri's teams don't suffer like that, need time to improve ;) 

Yes needs time to improve...but its only the last 15mins of the game that we went Awol....we totally dominated and controlled the game especially 2nd half...

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, !Hazard! said:

Dk9TgsWX0AAZE7m.jpg:large

This one piece of play I remember really well from last night. Look at the positions of our players!

Attackers drawing out defenders, Kante staying high on the other side to make them cover the offside, Alonso overlapping into space created by the attackers dropping deep, nice pass from Kovacic and off we went with Giroud nearly scoring. Also really liked that one.

A win is win and is important specially against Arsenal ... will take it as is. 

Take-away for me 

Positives: 

- First 15-20 mins, going forward was pure magic and WOOOOW!!! Great link up, one touch, pressing off the ball and getting into good position.

- During the first 20 mins, we had a different Morata ... thats what u want from him ... Adapt! Adapt! Adapt! He put in the shifts ... aggressive, falls back, physical and more importantly putting the ball in the net. 

- In the last game, Jorginho wasnt getting the ball despite being in position (we bypassed him quite a few times) however this week most of the play was going through him which is a plus. 

- 3rd goal ... good link up and more importantly Alonso being the difference while in the box and final third. 

Not so positives: 

- Defense ... We arent organized as compared to our offensive play. Yes I would put it down to early days but there is loads & loads of work. 

- Morata ... After the initial 20 mins, he was strolling in the park between the 2 Arsenal defenders. 

- Kante in an advance role. Good to see that he is being unleashed but that can be a huge problem for us. Jorginho cannot defend, not sure about Kovačić defense and Barkey was lively but he is no where the level of Kante. If you look at all the chances, you will see that the position which Kante generally falls into (edge of the box) when the opposition has the ball in the final third ... he wasnt there (he was following the defense & was moving deep) and Arsenal could end up with 4 goals. I'm divided on this one, maybe it might just fall in place when we are in steady stage but I have my doubts. 

- Jorginho for all the positives in terms of being the deep lying point man, the better oppositions could easily take us down. All you need to do is mark him out of game and it could be a huge issue for us. Yes early days but this could be a gap for us. 

- Willian & Pedro ... I think we need to start investing into the likes of CHO & Musoda. High time. 

All in all looks good ... This can be start of a new era for us if everything falls into place. 

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the way we played for a lot of the time, but the result was fortunate.  For our domination in certain areas (and the way we came out of the gate), Arsenal missed some absolute sitters.  We dominated them for the 2nd half when they were sitting deep, but that 20-25 minute spell from just before we got our 2nd, until half time, we were woeful.

Based on how Sarri started with Napoli, to have 6 points right now is huge.  I think we will be absolutely smoking when things are clicking.  All the points we can get now (in the meantime) are an absolute bonus.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.51.21 PM.png

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Such a shame that we had that horrendous 15 minutes in the first half. All the good things we did have been overshadowed by that defensive meltdown. :doh: 

in the first 20m we had similar problems, we were lucky Auba and Mhki missed easy sitters. Second half was much better overall performance. 

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

in the first 20m we had similar problems, we were lucky Auba and Mhki missed easy sitters. Second half was much better overall performance. 

Yes but also in the first 20-30 minutes, we played some amazing stuff going forward. But everyone has been talking about the defensive blunders from both sides.

Yes our defending is shit but we are creating and taking our chances like a real sarri side and i hope christensen can give a bit more tactical nous when h comes back in the side. When things click in a few weeks or months we will be more than fine Imo and I cant see us not winning a title we are in 3 winnable cup competitions and have nice squad depth and a quality midfield which is always the most important

Surprisingly I thought the CB was last thing we needed with all the players around (Luiz, Rudi, Cahill, Christensen, Zouma), but it seems thats the main area where we are still weak. Much to learn I have :D

However I think young CBs we were linked with like Rugain wouldnt solve the issue. Our CB ball distribution is surprisingly good for now, its the defensive side thats problematic.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Surprisingly I thought the CB was last thing we needed with all the players around (Luiz, Rudi, Cahill, Christensen, Zouma), but it seems thats the main area where we are still weak. Much to learn I have :D

However I think young CBs we were linked with like Rugain wouldnt solve the issue. Our CB ball distribution is surprisingly good for now, its the defensive side thats problematic.

Its all dependent on the style of football being employed.

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

And we had more chances. Soi the more chances we create the more we will score obviously.

I liked Guendouzi.

Guendouzi looks like they found a hidden gem. Only 19 too and great poise. A good chunk off that team is shite though. Mesut Özil has to be one of the least motivated players with WC talent I have ever seen. Xhaka is a nightmare. 

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Guendouzi looks like they found a hidden gem. Only 19 too and great poise. A good chunk off that team is shite though. Mesut Özil has to be one of the least motivated players with WC talent I have ever seen. Xhaka is a nightmare. 

I was upset that CJO never even made the bench after his last N London game. I wonder why?